Tarp slagging off on outdoors forums

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Been on another forum related more to walking hiking and backpacking. There was a thread where there were a lot of, in my eyes, unfounded negative comments about the use of tarps.

Granted midges are a problem but you can get very light bug nets these days that go over the opening of your bivvy bag. Can't use it at all in SCotland in midge season, ways round it like with midge netting and camping high in a breeze.

Loads of comments saying driving rain gets in, balderdash if you use it right. One posted a 1m x 2m tapr pitched high in an a frame. ***! Would anyone go out in such a tiny tarp in a hoolie and pitch it in a high up a frame. I use a 2.5m square in a cave type pitch. Works in all weathers. I'm talking ground dwelling here.

Does anyone else think that tent users need some education in tapr use?

I pointed out what a friend who has replaced her mountain hardwear tent because the high flysheet sides and the inner mesh mean in the uk rain gets inside the tent. I also know that the American made Scarp tent has had a UK spec with the option of solid fabric walls on the inner and lower fitting fly sheets (they go to the ground in UK spec). SO if tents are all that good then by choosing these unsuitable tents you wouldn't get wet neither. I just think there re right products and wrong products and right use and wrong use for everything. Just like these two tents were unsuitable for most of our upland wildcamping use so are some tarps unsuitable. Also pitch a tarp the right way you have a good shelter pitch it the wrong way for the conditions and site you also get a bad night. Midges don't fly too well with 4mph plus winds. It could be less than that in a tarp so they could shelter and bite you there. More likely a high level pitch will have winds that keep them down and they are unlikely to come out just to find your tarp so you often can find pitches that are midge free even in Scotlandshire at this time of year.

What are your opinions? Can a tarp be used in Scotland at this time of year or are the tent lobbyists right?

PS I went tarp when I got sick of condensation in my single skin tent which was the lightest option I could afford in tent form for backpacking before I got my tarp.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I think you could easily use a tarp in Scotland provided you take sensible precautions and use appropriate midge protection. A lot of folks find slinging a pop up tent far easier though, I suppose it comes down to education and what folks are prepared to do to kip out in the great outdoors.

I used my tarp at the weekend but it was as a cooking shelter - I slept in the tent as it has really good insect screens, I don't have a separate bug net (yet).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My solo tent is lighter than my tarp/bivi combo - and it is double skinned - BUT it has a lot less room for storage etc.
I love tarp/bivi combos for most of my outdoor sleeping but in real bad/midgy weather I would take my tent :)
Horses for courses and whatever suits you best!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
tents are boring, heavy and take too long to set up.
the last thing i want to do in the morning when its raining is to muck about folding it in a certain way so it fits in its bag, tarps you can tear down and stuff it into a bag in a minute or so.

does anybody else think that tents kinda spoil the outdoor experience a bit? i think being zipped up in a tent excludes you from the outdoors, its a bit like trying to bring home with you if you get what i meen.

pete

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm still saving for a midge net thingy I heard about from USA (I know midges are smaller than mossies so have to get small mesh size). I've not got a really light set up but even if I get this net it would work out at about 700g or so. Not much lighter than a laser come and the new laser that is only 560g is lighter. However this set-up would be more durable, roomier and well at 6'5" I don't fit in those light weight tents so that leaves those single skins at about 1.5kg or a hilleberg atko at 1.5kg and way above my budget. So I've kind of been firced into this sort of option. Having said that I love it. Horses for courses but of course there are solutions to most problems and midges / inclement weather do have solutions involving tarps. Light and roomy ones at that. So why the aggressive anti-tarp pitch in other forums by those who have no idea?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Aye, you're right enough. A tarp and net does fine and if you get above them or have the right breeze you don't need the net. If it's a nice night you don't need the tarp either:).

Tents have their uses though. My favorite lately is a hooped bivy. You're head's sticking out so on a nice night you can stargaze but the net and full cover are only a quick zip away. Pack down to nothing...........
Great wee things - wish I'd tried one years ago.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
tents are boring, heavy and take too long to set up.
the last thing i want to do in the morning when its raining is to muck about folding it in a certain way so it fits in its bag, tarps you can tear down and stuff it into a bag in a minute or so.

does anybody else think that tents kinda spoil the outdoor experience a bit? i think being zipped up in a tent excludes you from the outdoors, its a bit like trying to bring home with you if you get what i meen.

pete
I agree with you on that - under most circumstances - except that my tent weighs 1kg and pitches with less fuss than my tarp and at times I want more "total protection" than a tarp can give me.
I have used the tent about twice inthe past 2 years and my tarp rig about once a month!
I will be taking a tent to the Moot - a big slow boring one...2 man! - but only as a store tent - I will be kipping in my hammock under my tarp!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've slept out in all-seasons and weather (blizzards, floods and gales) in Scotland under a tarp. Even in Glencoe and Glen Etive in July - the height of the midgie season and the consistently highest densities in Scotland (according to the midge forecast website) - though frankly the act of being there was more fool-hardy than my sleeping arrangements :lmao:

I've used netted DD hammocks, hooped bivi with built-in net and used a separate net on both the ground and with un-netted hammocks.

Using a tarp in Scotland in summer is fantastic - with the right precautions you avoid the bugs, you get a fresh breeze to avoid the stuffiness of tents. and you also wake up with an unrivalled view every morning.

Nothing against tents. I've got three myself including a lovely go-lite shangri-la 3 that I bought for going to St Kilda, but I'll choose a tarp 9 times out of 10.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Good! I'm not alone then in liking tarps.

My other tents are a vango two man hooped tent for car camping (actually a very stable tent for 2kg) a single skin for when I don't feel confident in a tarp (read v windy weather before I developed confidence in mytarp pitching skills). I use all of them. Usually the single skin early season and the tarp mid to late spring through to autumn. The large tent (small vango spectre 200 Dof E style 3 hooped tunnel tent) is a car camping tent for especially camping by the roads whenb travellingin Scotland or with friends up there plus campsites anywehere .

However the tarp is my preferred hill shelter when I'll be carrying it.

So as a tarpist I'm normal, thats good to know.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A lot of outdoors forums are focussed on hillwalking. In mountain country I would usually take a tent. Having said that I've also had good results with a tarp strung between two walking poles when up in the Cairngorms.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well, lets look at the pro's and con's

Tarp:

Pro’s

Tarps can be fun to use

Fit the bushy image more than a tent

Con’s

Draughty, wind can blow through

Wet, rain easily driven in

Needs a bug nest

NOT faster to setup than tents necessarily

Can be heavier than a tent when you add up all the components, tarp, midge net, maybe ground sheet

Colder than a tent

More expensive than a simple tent

Not as good in winter for a social chit chat with your mate than a tent.

Not as good at keeping you dry

Not as good at keeping you warm

Tent:

Come with poles, don’t need a wall/sticks/trees to pitch so not limited to areas you can use

Wind proof

Waterproof

Warm

Social, when sharing you can chat with chum or chums

Comfortable out of the elements

Con’s

Some don’t like the colour of material

Poor bushy image

Are you sure the tent users need to be educated :)

I like tarps, great day shelters/beer shelters/kitchen areas but I sleep in tents. Just my opinion.l

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm sure it's a discussion that's been had many times and personally I feel it really boils down to personal preference, and perhaps in extreme cases, environment

Well, lets look at the pro's and con's

Tarp:

Pro’s

Tarps can be fun to use

Fit the bushy image more than a tent

Con’s

Draughty, wind can blow through

Wet, rain easily driven in

To be fair that depends how you set it up, a tarp makes an excellent wind- and rain-proof shelter if set appropriately.

Needs a bug nest

So does my go-lite during summer up here and the nest more than doubles the weight.

NOT faster to setup than tents necessarily

Tarps like tents require practice to get quick set-up times, tents are often easierto learn - no odd knots needed - but a tarp is more flexible.

Can be heavier than a tent when you add up all the components, tarp, midge net, maybe ground sheet
True, it can be but to match the weight and fuctionality you can easily spend a lot more money on a tent. My £30 tarp, £20 net, £7 mat weighs less than a kilo, and has kept me warm and dry in all weather - with an appropriate configuration.

Colder than a tent
Sometimes, but then they're not as stuffy as most tents.

More expensive than a simple tent.

Sometimes, but the tarp I've used most in the last 2 - 3 years cost me £30.

Not as good in winter for a social chit chat with your mate than a tent.
Ah but a nice windbreak configuration with an open fire is even more fun ;-)

Not as good at keeping you dry

Not as good at keeping you warm
There's no reason why it shouldn't, if you use a configuration that suits the situation.

Tent:

Come with poles, don’t need a wall/sticks/trees to pitch so not limited to areas you can use
Walking sticks are dual-purpose and do the job just as well. With tents you do need a nice flat area to pitch.

Wind proof

Waterproof
On a recent trip to Harris (not many trees), I was only one using a tarp and was the only one that stayed dry.

Warm

Social, when sharing you can chat with chum or chums

Comfortable out of the elements

Con’s

Some don’t like the colour of material
Whaddya mean? Vango do a lovely Olive green ;-)

Poor bushy image

Are you sure the tent users need to be educated :)
Not in the least - live and let lie in is what I say, but newcomers and the curious deserve to know there are perfectly viable alternatives.

I like tarps, great day shelters/beer shelters/kitchen areas but I sleep in tents. Just my opinion.l

I should also add I bought the go-lite after seeing your many Hex3 pics.

Vive la difference :beerchug:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I agree Andy,

I prefer a tarp set up anyday.

I would say i've ended up more wet in a tent than a hammock/bivi and tarp set up when you count them up.

It's much better to be able to see around you and converse with your neighbour after you've retired to bed whilst swinging in the hammock.

I've always had a midge head net and have just recently got one of the midge jackets,better out in the air than cooped in a tent.

Of course I do use a tent or the like at times but first preference is a tarp.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
More and more I just wonder "who cares?"

Someone else has a different opinion. Isn't that a surprise.

I used to care. Increasingly - I don't.

Red

Wayland

Hárbarðr
For me it's simple. I go outdoors to be outdoors.

Wrapping myself in a nylon bag, with or without poles, just doesn't do it for me.

My pyramid tarp suits me because I can set it up as a tarp or if I really need it in atrocious conditions, a tent.

But I'm very clear about what my preference is.

Snip> Fit the bushy image more than a tent <Snip> Poor bushy image <Snip

Considering no-one here can even agree what "bushcraft" actually is I simply cannot imagine what is or isn't "bushy"

This seems to be an accusation levelled at anything that has gained a level of popularity amongst members of this forum. Usually it comes from people that claim to be more "bushcrafty" than "armchairy". (Again I just don't get that kind of distinction coming from people who, just like the rest of us, obviously spend a lot of time sitting in front of a computer screen.)

I have picked up lots of stuff based on recommendations on this forum. Some of it I didn't get on with and passed on, lots of it has lived up to it's reputation and become valued pieces of equipment though.

If that means I fall into the "Bushcraft uniform" camp so be it, but I'll challenge anybody that accuses me of "having all the gear and no idea," which is another stock phrase that so often comes from the "More bushcrafty than thou" brigade.

I've said it many times here, I'm not a "bushcrafter" in fact I don't fit into anyone's pigeon hole without a great deal of brute force. But I do get fed up of people telling me what is or isn't "bushcrafty"

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE