Tarp size question.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Looking for peoples experiences and opinions. Im currently after a canvas tarp but cant decide on the size, ie a 2.5m square or a 3m square. It would pretty much be used for ground dwelling, possibly an occasional hammock setup (although not essential as theres always the dd for that).

I know the dd 3m is a very popular size but is that mainly due to availability? And the size due to the supplier being hammock orientated?

Anyway what do you guys/gals think?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sizes vary on activity. For minimalist ground camping I use a small tarp, the Backpackinglight solo tarp. Not sure of its dimension, but something like 2.4 x 1.8m.

For hammocking I usually find the DD 3x3m tarp to be about perfect, and it is also good for trying in different ground configurations (Being square seems better for some setups than a rectangle)

I also have a 3 x 4.5m DD tarp but it is too big for many uses, unless I want serious shelter when winter campings, or am doing a group event.

I think 3x3 is ideal. It is popular for a reason.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I would imagine this has been talked about before so might be worth a search about for a few more thoughts....having said that, I started using the 58 pattern poncho in the cadets, then an issue Basha sheet in the TA and was quite happy with them. My tarp sizes got bigger when I bought a Hennessy hammock many years ago and then upgraded to the hex fly, as I got bored with the hammock I started ground dewelling again and pitched in on a group buy for a 3x3 poly cotton tarp, that was a few years ago and I have stuck with it.
There's nothing wrong with the smaller tarps and Basha sheets but as I recal all I was using them for back then was to get my head down in as dry a manor as possible, get some shut eye and then be up and off again sharpish in the morning. Nowadays I camp under the 3x3 and spend more time there relaxing under the tarp, reading a book, cooking, personal admin etc and therefore find the extra living space (relative to extra pack weight and size) a no brainer.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Best way for you would be to buy £6 tarp from ebay and see what works for you.
But from my experience (and I have tried almost everything) it goes like this:

1. 1.5m x 2.5m ultralight utility tarp. Great for a small vestibule for your tent or to have a coffe while hiking in the rain. In a pinch can sleep one on the ground but it's a night in the coffin.

2. 3m x 2.5-3.5m Camping tarp. 3m is a decent LENGHT to sleep on the ground (you need a decent margin around you for rain splash and your kit) and also a minimum lenght to safely cover any standard hammock. 2.4 m WIDE is plenty for two on the ground and just enough for a summer hammock tarp (where you don't have to protect yourself from every breeze). 3-3.5m WIDE will sleep 3 on the ground and would make a good hammock tarp which would cover you almost to the ground. This option is pretty much the best weight/performance/coverage/manageability ratio you can have.

3. Anything over 4m on any side. Pretty much only good for admin areas or base camp hammocking where you wan't to cover your hammock and have a decent living area. They get heavy and can get very problematic even in the small wind. Also you will struggle finding enough space in the woods for a full pitch.

Don't get too attached to the shape (square or rectangular). Theoretically square have more pitching options but in reality you can do same tarp tents with a rectangular tarp. They will be longer and that's it.

I had DD 3x3 tarp: A frame slept 3, tarp tent slept 2, good coverage for DD hammock with reasonable porch. Also completely covered small 2man tent when it started leaking creating a second skin.
DD solo 1.8m x 2.5m tarp: A frame slept one comfortably with all the kit, just covered Dd hammock in diamond configuration but I was lucky it didn't rain.
Siltarp 2 2.4m x 3m tarp: A frame slept two without a problem. Good hammock tarp for one night but I had to pack away my hammock to have a living space.
Siltarp 1 1.4m x 2.4m tarp: My emergency tarp. Tight squeeze for one in A frame. Really only good for a brew on the trail or ultralight backpacking with a bivvi.
Siltarp 3 3m x 3.6m tarp: what I'm using now. Excellent coverage for my custom XL hammock with great porch and option to drop the sides to the ground when windy. Sleept two in A frame with two big backpacks in a heavy rain. Everything dry and plenty space for cooking.
My girlfriend is using ebay 2.4m x 3m tarp but we cook and sit under my porch so she doesn't have to pack her hammock to have a living space.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The OP is specifying canvas. 3x3 in canvas is going to be quite heavy and difficult to manage. What's your usage, car or walk in?

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Thanks for the replies

Would largely be walk in with it.

As the above says weight and bulk come into it due to the material.

I believe the pathfinder (dave canterbury) tarp is fractionally smaller than 2.5, but thats not the uk so different conditions.

I have tried a basha and find it ok but snug with gear in a tarp tent setup but not tried it in poor conditions yet.

John i think thats the conclusion im coming to

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Are you using the tarp alone, or with a bivvi bag? I've used various sizes of tarp, from a 1.05m x 2.05m poncho, upto the issue basha.

The poncho was a bit too small. It's fine pitched over my head area to give me some shelter for the bivvi bag. But not much else.

The issue basha is plenty of space at 2.55m x 2.15m. I've only used mine with a bivvi bag when ground dwelling, but it's provides me with ample room.

I've never quite understood the success of the 3m x 3m dd tarps. I'm sure they are great for hammock use, but ground dwelling, they strike me as too big. Unless the weather is truly awful, I like to pitch my tarp with a gap round the bottom so I can look out at the wildlife. With a 3m x 3m, that just becomes unwieldy... My new tarp is 2,60 m x 1,70 m, which I think should be plenty big enough with a bivvi bag.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE