Tarp set ups. Any pics?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
For the ground dwellers amongst us, any chance of popping up some pointers / pics of tarp configurations apart from standard lean to / ridge line?

Need some inspiration...

I have a DD 3x3mtr & a army issue basha.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Here's a few. Most of them are of a True North Big Tarp, the small grey ones are an IPK sheet & the bright green one is a 3x3 polytarp I made-up with clingons.

TNBT_a.jpg

tnbt1.jpg

IPK1.jpg

IPK2.jpg

DSCN4587.jpg

BTtent2.jpg

3x3poly1.jpg

BTlongridge.jpg

BTgrpshltr.jpg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ian - I have done 1, 3 and 5 photo pitches or the cave type, a frame and flying v but the ones second and fourth from the bottom really confuse me as to how you make them up. Am I correct in that they are all baically square or rectangular tarps? The one whihc looks like an a-frame pitch but has closed ends I think you can not make with just a square or rectangular tarp. Or at least I can't work it out from the photo. The other one which looks like a tall tent with doors looks difficult to pitch up unless you've seen it done before or got told or shown. Am I correct in thinking it is pitched kind of from the corner at the back somehow or is it done another way? I have seen tarps pitched with doors on internet but I haven't sussed that style out yet.

That tarp with doors is it with the support pole towards the middle of the tarp like a pyramid and it is more of a wrap around of sorts? not really explaining my thinking too well. Perhaps you could explain those two pitches Ian. I am a relative novice having only used a tarp about 5 or 6 trips. I only know the lean too, flying V and cave type where you peg out the back end and form an a-frame at the front with a lifter used at the back to give it more height near the back or tail end into the wind. I usually use the cave in bad weather and the flying v if nicer weather. I have only trial pitched the lean too as I think it is kind of a sail if kipping up the hillside in the Lakes where I go most. There is less shelter up there so I don't trust the lean-to that much. I use a 8ft square (2.4m x 2.4m) tarp in sil-nylon.

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
BobvanVelzen - cheers for the vid! Looks great, I'm liking the morning sunrise too. Was it closed at the back?

Ian - You seem like you could teach me a thing or to with setting up a tarp! The 1st and 2nd pic look great, just need 2 x poles and I'm there. I really like that True North tarp too. Is it nylon?

Cheers,

Joel

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you check out this article at Natural Bushcraft you'll see all sorts of suggestions for tarp rigs. They'r predominantly worked around True North tarps as that's what the author Jed Yarnold promotes.Also some good suggestions can be found here.

At first glance the True North Big Tarp (4.5m x 3m, PU ripstop polyester) has its tie-outs set out in a somewhat irregular manner. In practice I have found it to work very well.
tnbt_plan.jpg

The long ridge set-up utilises the tarp as shown below. It's a long lowish structure but it can be totally enclosed and there's a vast amount of room under there.

tnbt_longridge.jpg

I've never seen anybody else set-up a tarp like this below but I can't believe no-one has tried it before me. The figure below more or less explains it. I like it and use it quite a lot especially if the weather's not so good. Common sense says put the low (foot) end to windward. Like this the folded under corners effectively form a fitted ground sheet which is held firm by you lying on it. At the head end the door height is half the width of the tarp ie 1.5m in th Big Tarp so there'd plenty of room to sit up. At a pinch there is room to cook inside but with the door end to leeward, pegging or tying a door open provides an fine lee. The tent also benefits from a long guy from the pole, thru' the mid ridge loop to a point a few feet beyond the toe, to lift the ridge
This tarp-tent set-up will also work quite nicely in a 3m square tarp.

tnbt_tent.jpg

Last edited:

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Ian - please excuse the intrusion into the thread with a different question.

In your top photo, it looks as though you have a candle lantern hanging down in front of the tarp. What sort of lantern is that please?

Best Wishes
David

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Cheers for the input - I completely forgot about the natural bushcraft article, my bro-in law sent me a link once.

So I had a go today in the garden, nice day for a beer and a bit of tarp'in...

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

I just gave this shape a go as per Ian's first 2 pic examples. It was hard a first to get your mind round what to peg down.
I reckon I could get away with less pegs in the future.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Good stuff Zeebar - that's the spirit!

Playing with a paper model of the tarp folded however so, helps me get my head around some of the set-ups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE