Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

Sorted now ;)

EDIT:

On topic: I've got a RM aussie tarp - which feels (and is) plasticy - not comparable as the Original Auscam tarp. As that's more rugged material.

What you are going to use it for Chris?
- hammocking, or
- grounddwelling

I've got an 3x3 Tatonka tarp, which I use when hammocking: it's massive is size & weight (relatively). On the other hand I'm looking for a smaller tarp (or poncho - haven't made up my mind yet), for ultra lightweight (weekends).

Army basha's (UK) are tough, because they can be used as an emergency stretcher.

Dec 16, 2007
There was an Aussie hootchie on ebay for £30 buy it now a few days ago.

That was mine one. Same thing is I did not like it in the end. I got mine sent over from Oz hence I could sell it for £30 and made my money back.
I now have a british desert one seems a lot more robust and does not look so army in a wood.
I also have a HH Hex fly modded with ridge line loops (pics on another thread).

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Oooh tarps a particular obsession of mine. I have spent a lot of time looking for the perfect tarp. I have a basha, ponchos, Katmandu 3 x 2.5m, Tatonka TC in 3x3m, 4x3m and 4.5 x 4.25m, a slynylon 4x3m one from the US not to mention the ones I have sold on like Hex flys and the like. And still I feel as if I do not have the right one :rolleyes:

I got rid of my Aussie Hootchie because i found it wasn't long enough to give adequate protection when hammocking, my hammock poked out the ends by miles!

I find this as well. I tend to think of 3m as the minimum for hammocking. Currently I use the 3x4m tatonka (actually 2.85 x 4m) but I have custom size ones on order (4x3.3m). I have used 3x3m tarps set diagonally but was not as keen on it and you needed the trees to be about 4.5m apart to set it up. Also for some reason the 3x4m tatonka does not have tabs at the mid points on the long side which is a bit of a pain. I attached my own but it seemed a strange omission.

shewie inregards to true northoutdoors tarps there 4 buy 3.5 and are the perfect tarp once an extra loop has been attached but thats jusst the way i hang it drew

If they were that size I would have bought one and saved myself a lot of trouble getting custom ones made. The Truenorth big tarps are 4.5m x 3m. Actually a little under 3m wide which does make a difference.

Anyway it really depends on what you want the tarp for. if it is for hammocking I would go for bigger than a hootchi. if it is for a bivi set up then the hootchi should be more than adequate.

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Hmmmmmmm, lots of very interesting posts here.

Immediate problem solved as far as having two tarps go - the smaller of the two - the Highlander rip stop nylon one - has been commandeered by the kids (after a fun afternoon playing with a new pop up tent and the tarp extension).

So, it seems the British army one is not as popular as perhaps I thought it might be (I wonder if that's because of the camo print).

The DD tarps look good - simple, strong, and green. The others look good too, but I imagine are owned by those who use tarps a lot and know what they like in a tarp and have tracked down what they're after.

I'm sticking to the the British army one for now. After sleeping on it (or should that be under it?) I don't much see the point in buying another (and another and another), without seeing it first, only to find out it's not quite right in some way, as I suspect it might be. The British army one is strong, simple, about half as heavy again as some of the others admittedly, but then I don't carry it around that much. I think that for what I use it for and for how much I use it it's absolutely fine. And for that reason I don't need another.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hmmmmmmm, lots of very interesting posts here.

Immediate problem solved as far as having two tarps go - the smaller of the two - the Highlander rip stop nylon one - has been commandeered by the kids (after a fun afternoon playing with a new pop up tent and the tarp extension).

So, it seems the British army one is not as popular as perhaps I thought it might be (I wonder if that's because of the camo print).

The DD tarps look good - simple, strong, and green. The others look good too, but I imagine are owned by those who use tarps a lot and know what they like in a tarp and have tracked down what they're after.

I'm sticking to the the British army one for now. After sleeping on it (or should that be under it?) I don't much see the point in buying another (and another and another), without seeing it first, only to find out it's not quite right in some way, as I suspect it might be. The British army one is strong, simple, about half as heavy again as some of the others admittedly, but then I don't carry it around that much. I think that for what I use it for and for how much I use it it's absolutely fine. And for that reason I don't need another.

I had the army basha for a couple of years Chris and loved it for ground dwelling, the DPM seemed to look better on the deck aswell. Along with a DPM bivvy bag I used to get tucked away in all sorts of places.
I'd still be using it now if I hadn't taken to the trees with a hammock, which need a bit more coverage from the elements obviously.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
To save me trolling through previous posts, how much do they weigh roughly ?

Are they something like 4x3m ?

About 1.8 kg .....but don't bother asking for one at the moment as Jed has sold out of the large tarps and won't be getting any for a couple of months ....thier sort of in the post :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
[QUOTE= magic kelly
3.5 buy 4 meter
If they were that size I would have bought one and saved myself a lot of trouble getting custom ones made. The Truenorth big tarps are 4.5m x 3m. Actually a little under 3m wide which does make a difference.

hiya john please note mine is that size because it has been modified to be that size so i can hang it as the picture shows drew

nolightweight

Native
Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
The issue shelter sheet (basha) is all I've been using on my trips out so far.

I ground dwell (people keep tempting me towards hammocking but I'm as yet unconvinced AND a right stubborn old so and so) and that combined with a Modular Sleeping System and a mat and I'm sorted. Really happy with it all as well.

NLW

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Get the 3x3 DD, it only comes in at 650g

There was an Aussie hootchie on ebay for £30 buy it now a few days ago.

yeah i brought it lol cheers swampy i have been after one of these for ages.
i sold my issue dpm basha to my mate for £15, so in the end i only paid £18.
but yeah £60 is a bit steep for one of these even if it is endorsed by ray mears.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I went with " Rays super tarp " , love it
I know over priced , etc etc ,, but you only live once
2006_0116wolf0004.jpg

Twodogs

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
that tarp truly is mahoosive!!! it certainly looks to be perfect for sharing with enough room for kit etc.
also i see you got an optimus 111 stove on the go, i love mine but its definitely a vehicle/fixed camp cooker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE