tarp or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Tarp tent. In other words a tarp designed to function as a minimalist tent, often with no door but otherwise enclosed. They can take a battering in the weather that a even properly rigged tarp cannot.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Id say when hiking a tent. when camping a tarp with my hammock. In a tent and the wind is lashing the sides its nice to know your protected from all sides. Also tents are more communal places.

"I prefer a tarp, always get scared in tents :O Cant see what any of the noises are and my imagination runs wild."

If you bring your buddy along i find that you are reassured. Just my two pence

It depends.

Bit of a flippant response that needs quantifying. Sorry.

Earlier this year I did a week long canoe trip in Inverpolly, Scotland. In Late Apri/May this was a great area to tarp/hammock/bivvy with complete impunity. Cooking outside over an open fire was a joy. Lovely starlit and moonlit nights........

Now.......

.............try this in late June / July / August. You'd be glad of the refuge of a tent due to the WSDF. The Wee Scotland Defence Force aka The Midge. Try it if you don't believe me.

Windy

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Tarp, almost always. They're great in the woods (obviously!) but also out on the trial/in the wilds if you use trekking poles. I am more inclined towards a tent in full winter weather but I'm never entirely happy with that feeling of being sealed in...

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Its all down to use really tents are handy in open areas plus most have mossie protection and dont look out of place if you need to use a normal campsite on multiday trips ,

072.jpg

Tarps are fantastic in the woods all round vision for the sights and sound high up in good conditions low in bad ,

P7250010.jpg

003.jpg

low down

199.jpg

in a camp site ,, hmmmm

P7290145.jpg

Love um both ,

or you could go ,,, this was built by the locals in the woods in Norway

202.jpg

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Like the multi use of a tarp. winter and summer use one. Now as i get older carry a bigger tarp than can be made into a tent shape if necessary 3m x 3m for one person a little extreme but good for me.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Tarp. I haven't used a tent for twenty five years. In Scottish summers I use a larger tarp and hang a net from a ridge line, or wear a head net, or both.

Edited to add:

And plenty of Vilma's :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE