Tarp material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm looking to make my own lightweight version of a Zeltbahn. However, I'm not sure about what to make it out of. I've heard silnylon is the really light stuff, but is it tough and properly waterproof? Is there a better material? Budget isn't a huge consideration but I don't see it being too much. Am I mistaken?
I've got good enough sewing ability on normal fabric (whatever that might be!) and a bit on leather but I don't know if fancy fabrics take special sewing techniques or anything. All help much appreciated :)

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
tarp material 1
tarps

these two web sites may be of interest for material - ref sawing, I have never done this sort of thing, but I imagine as long as you double over the edges and waterproof holes, it should work, reinforcing the corners and where ever your going to put the eyelets.

hope it helps

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Where can you buy those round hole thingies for tarps (for attaching paracord/tentpoles etc)?
What do you call them and how do you fit them?

Your help greatly appreciated.

anthonyyy said:
Where can you buy those round hole thingies for tarps (for attaching paracord/tentpoles etc)?
What do you call them and how do you fit them?

Your help greatly appreciated.
If you email the folks here you will get some great service and advice on eyelets for tarps and what tools to use to fit them. You might not think so when you see the site, but trust me and give them an email :D

I've also heard, I'm sure somewhere here that the ultra lite silnylons will mist in heavy rain as the rain drops force their way through the material

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
While we're talking tarp material can anybody tell me where I can buy cheap canvas from in very large sheets please? (much bigger than tarp sized).

Many thanks,

Bam.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Motorbike Man said:
Toddy mightknow a supplier, other option would be to see if there are any sail makers on line

Funny enough I do, I've been looking in case the parachute idea falls through.

http://www.tarps.co.uk/canvas.htm

http://www.unionindustries.co.uk/trading/gems.htm

http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/TarpaulinsSite/pages/home/default.asp

http://www.tandcrobinson.co.uk/content/covermanufacturing.asp

Not much more than a skim through their stuff so far though. If you find a company you'd recommend will you let me know? I've got a different set of addresses for raw canvas, but sewing it is a nightmare.

Cheers,
Toddy

M

marcja

bambodoggy said:
While we're talking tarp material can anybody tell me where I can buy cheap canvas from in very large sheets please? (much bigger than tarp sized).

Many thanks,

Bam.

Just a thought this (especially if your on a budget) but have you tried any local hauliers. The open back trailers usually use huge canvas sheets to cover their loads. They may have some old ones.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
one of my local army surplus stores has 2 man tent ground sheet material for sale - i bought some today, its pretty tough and waterproof - it cost £7.50 - for 8 x 4 foot (i think) - i got it to make a cheap basha from, and bought the eylet kits from a camping shop - will let you know how it works out when i've finished making it.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
When I made a tarp from 4oz nylon I found the nylon difficult to hold in position, whilst sewing the seam tended to slip apart. I used some glue to hold it together and then sewed it. However the glue tended to jam the needle so I would suggest using smal dots of glue to tack in place. I think the best seam is a flat felled seam and proof the seam when finished using silicone.
The zeltbahn has fascinated me ever since I saw a German Scout Black tent. Which is similar in that it is a modular canvas affair that can be joined together with others to make tents of one, two, four, six or eight sheets. The eight sheet size being bigger than an English scout patrol tent. As each person carries a small part of the whole tent it becomes very easily transportable. The zeltbahn also has the function of a poncho. I don't have one myself but I do have a Norwegian shelter sheet which is losenge shaped rather than triangular and is made of a substantial canvas material . I think that the weight of canvas helps its function as a poncho as the weight helps it to stay put and not blow away. As a shelter I think a very lightweight nylon may need extra guys to hold it in place and stop it flapping. Are you think of making several so that they can be joined together to make a larger tent?. You would have to be accurate with the design, sewing and button holes although with modern materials it might be possible to use a press studs and velcro rather than buttons. I think a shelter sheet/poncho that can be joined together to make a larger tent would be an excellent thing to try for groups of Scouts or Cadets or for DofE expeditions.
It will be interesting to see when finished, keep us all informed.
NickP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE