Tarp making???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I was wondering if sombody could help.

Does anybody know of a good tutorial for making your own tarp (with the tabs on the outside). Also looking for a place that sells decent ripstop nylon

many thanks in advance

Craig

jenks

Aug 29, 2004
county durham
Did you know...that in the days of sail a tarpaulin was so called because it was a canvas sheet called a 'paulin' treated with tar or oil to proof it against rot and seawater? Hence tarpaulin. Sorry to bore you all out there, but I'm working this afternoon; share my misery. Good luck with your project.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is fairly simple.

1. I prefer to sew on loops of 18 mm webbing to gromets. Be somewhat generous in size and you can put a tent-peg inside the loop with no problem.

2. Use reinforcements with all attachement points, I use a piece of the fabric placed at
45 deg to the main fabric. Something like 10-15 cm squares for center points, and
triangles of the same size along the edges, usually works for me.

3. For center points I put one patch on each side, and a piece of webbing sewn to that.

4. Roll the edges (so that you have three layers), pin, place the attachment point patches in place, and then sew it all down. Attach the points last.

5. Seal all holes with seam sealer or possibly Liquisole (be generous).

6. As to where you want your points... I find that about every 50 cm or so along the sides is good and flexible, and honestly only one center point for my style. I suspect that if you have a large tarp and want to have it over a hammock you may want to add one more along each diagonal (but the hammocky people can advice you better there).

7. Size? Not less than 1.5 x 2.5 m, I like a 3x3 m, but is thinking about making a 1.75 x 3 m; less versatile and less space, but lighter.

8. Buy a piece of bungy cord (say 50 cm or so) and tie in a loop. Attach to the center point with a larks head when in use and tie lines to this. This saves the fabric from the worst of sudden jerks if the wind is gusty.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Many thanks to all :You_Rock_ , A lot of good links and advise there. I can certainly move on a bit now with what I have in mind

Nat: blimey I though I mis read the price of that book lol.

Cheers

Craig

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Did you know...that in the days of sail a tarpaulin was so called because it was a canvas sheet called a 'paulin' treated with tar or oil to proof it against rot and seawater? Hence tarpaulin. Sorry to bore you all out there, but I'm working this afternoon; share my misery. Good luck with your project.

Thanks for that Jenks

I train Seacadets in Bushcraft and setting up tarps is a standard class. This little bit of history will really click with them.

Cheers

George

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Canvas is derived from "Canabis" as the original canvas was made from hemp fibre - as were the original Levi Jeans...

jenks

Aug 29, 2004
county durham
Thanks for that Jenks

I train Seacadets in Bushcraft and setting up tarps is a standard class. This little bit of history will really click with them.

Cheers

George

I note that you are in Bramley, near Basingstoke I presume. I went there a couple of times in my army-life. It wasn't a bad training area, as it had (has?) one of the few areas left available to conduct survival training without scaring the powers-that-be to let troops use sharp objects and cook over a fire and so on.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nat: blimey I though I mis read the price of that book lol.

Cheers

Craig

Aye i did aswell until the wife spotted it :eek:
I've got a copy and it's full of very good patterns, i do believe he was the originator of the Go Lite range until it went commercial like most small good companies do.
On his website he has The Ray Way which is still only $15 plus shipping. I do rate them and he has been doing his stuff for a few decades now.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Pennine outdoor, (i think this is pointnorth)
Pro-fabrics
Fabrics n' stuff

All retail ripstop in varying grades.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I note that you are in Bramley, near Basingstoke I presume. I went there a couple of times in my army-life. It wasn't a bad training area, as it had (has?) one of the few areas left available to conduct survival training without scaring the powers-that-be to let troops use sharp objects and cook over a fire and so on.

Thats the one Jenks.

I have never used this training area before. It is very active but I have seen the Army Cadets coming out of it so it may be possible if I contact the right operating authority.

No problems though getting training areas to do Bushcraft. As long as you get to know the wardens things are OK.

It is the boys in green who cause problems because we are not usually in uniform.

Cheers for the other bit of history John about the canvas. I am hoping to do my Seamanship course this year (it has taken me 11 years) so I will quiz the instructor on that when we make canvas bags.

George

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
TeePee: I had a look and there is some good stuff their ,many thanks.

C_Claycomb: Excellent links mate, those tutorials are real easy to follow and just what I was after, they have given me a few more ideas thank you.

Craig

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE