Tarp help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Last night at about an hour before sundown I rigged up my tarp. I did the shelter rig with an upright and an overhang, I then left it out overnight to see how it would fare, when I looked at it in the morning it was soaking, it hadn't even rained and BOTH the inside and outside contained moisture!!! What can I have done wrong???

Cheers
Will

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Sounds like condensation. Was the temperature hovering around the dew point? Did you take it out of a nice warm cupboard to rig it?

There's lot's going on here. Remember that when you are using a tarp, a groundsheet will prevent any water in the ground (dew fall, dampness, water table etc) from evaporating and condensing on the inside of your tarp.

Now, since you pitched late in the day when there was very little evaporation going on, the dampness this morning, on the inside could have been water evaporating this morning and hitting the cold tarp sheet, and the dampness on top is just the dew from last night. Under the tarp should be slightly warmer than the surrounding air and this morning would have heated up quicker in the rising sun and any moisture hitting the cold tarp condenses and is wet.

However, there's lots of other factors, like is the tarp 100% waterproof, was it frosty etc
It would have been a lot worse if you were under it unless there was a very draughty through flow of air. That's partly the reason why inner tents (tarps!) were created, to keep the condensation from you.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If it was a good, waterproof tarp, I would agree with the others - it was probably condensation.

Nothing to worry about IMHO.

It is one of the reasons why I, like others, use a bivvy bag when under a tarp!

Simon

stan794

Nov 16, 2007
Corby
I am thinking of getting a tarp and hammock, does that mean at this time of year you are likely to get a bit wet from the condensation lying in the hammock?

Not really although you may get drips depending on the breaze on your tarp and how your tarp is configured. Your body is warmer in your hammock so any condensation will form on the coldest surface, ie your tarp. Your underblanket may get slightly damp underneaath, but you won't notice this until you touch it, that's because if it is really cold, the outside of the underblanket may still get some condensation on it.

You need to consider when setting up your tarp, the weather, breeze and condensation probs...if the weather is bad your tarp will need to be usually set up in a closed configuration, this means less air movement so a slight chance of more condensation, if you choose to open up the tarp if the weather and breeze is ok, then you'll get minimum condensation. I hope this makes sense.

I am thinking of getting a tarp and hammock, does that mean at this time of year you are likely to get a bit wet from the condensation lying in the hammock?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK

Not really although you may get drips depending on the breaze on your tarp and how your tarp is configured.

In other words...YES. One of the reasons I prefer a Double skin Tent. I only ever use a Hammock if the nature of the terrain tells me to stay off the ground.
I find with a hammock, you have cold air circulating all around you and I tend to get cold, not only that but what do you do when you wake up in a gale force wind, your tarps gone, teeming rain and all your kits on the floor, soaking wet.... errr I dont think so. Just my opinion

Try putting one up in a gale force wind lol :)

[/QUOTE]In other words...YES. One of the reasons I prefer a Double skin Tent. I only ever use a Hammock if the nature of the terrain tells me to stay off the ground.
I find with a hammock, you have cold air circulating all around you and I tend to get cold, not only that but what do you do when you wake up in a gale force wind, your tarps gone, teeming rain and all your kits on the floor, soaking wet.... errr I dont think so. Just my opinion

Try putting one up in a gale force wind lol :)[/QUOTE]

I have used one in gale force winds and really for me, it IS all to do with how you configure your tarp and to what extent you prepare for the cold and that includes where to pitch. As someone who hammocks ALL year round, in most weathers, my experiences differs greatly from yours and I've not had a bad experience in my hammock yet!

stan794

Nov 16, 2007
Corby
While on about tarps, i am think of going for the hennessey set up and wondered how the underblanket will work on these if you enter from underneath.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
While on about tarps, i am think of going for the hennessey set up and wondered how the underblanket will work on these if you enter from underneath.

It works fine, you just push it out of the way and get in as normal. The bungie cords spring it back into position.

I, too, hammock all year round and much prefer it to ground dwelling! A good pitch, a little bit of know how and I sleep better than in my own bed at home!

Simon

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
In other words...YES. One of the reasons I prefer a Double skin Tent. I only ever use a Hammock if the nature of the terrain tells me to stay off the ground.

Try putting one up in a gale force wind lol :)[/QUOTE]

I have used one in gale force winds and really for me, it IS all to do with how you configure your tarp and to what extent you prepare for the cold and that includes where to pitch. As someone who hammocks ALL year round, in most weathers, my experiences differs greatly from yours and I've not had a bad experience in my hammock yet!
.[/QUOTE]

As I said it was just an opinion, If it works for you ...fine, if it doesnt...then buy a tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE