Tarp failed, looking for tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Hey all. I'm a Canadian who has been hitchhiking through Europe for the past 6 months, and am in Tbilisi, Georgia, at the moment. Had a silnylon tarp from a small US maker get a big rip from a bad storm in Armenia... And it's going to take a while to get a replacement from him.

I've done hours and hours of research over the past few days on tents, as I'm going to be heading through Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, China, mongolia, etc. So towards the Steppe. Figure a tent is likely going to benefit me more. But there are just so many choices and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Ideally I'd like to spend 150 pounds or under (shipping to Georgia isn't so great from anywhere it seems either). I've checked out vango, Terra Nova, Eureka, msr (wish I could justify that cost), some Chinese brands like naturehike... And more I just can't recall.

At the moment I'm just stumped.i don't mind paying more if I know I'm going to have a tent last, but opinions are always seeming to be all over the place about this.

Figure you guys are my last resort :p any and all opinions are welcome.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I'd go with Vango (either the Tempest or Banshee) or the OEX range (Bandicoot II is a cracking tent) from Go Outdoors. The OEX stuff is Go Outdoors own brand but very good quality, as good as Vango. I've just bought my boy the Vango Banshee 300. Probably a little large for 1(solo), but the 200 is definitely a 1 manner with plenty of room. If you aren't bothered about space the OEX Phoxx 1 is £50. More of a large double hooped bivvi than a tent.

Like you say getting someone to deliver is going to be your biggest problem.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Can you not buy something in Georgia ? you'll get to see the tent and wont incur delivery charges or delays ?

There is a member on here from Georgia ( Gcckoka) who may know of a good local supplier ........

Last edited:

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Can you not buy something in Georgia ? you'll get to see the tent and wont incur delivery charges or delays ?

There is a member on here from Georgia ( Gcckoka) who may know of a good local supplier ........

Actually there isn't. It's crazy. There's one north face store but very very high prices. I would have thought with so much harder tourism aimed at hiking there would be great choices... But there just isn't.

Found a banshee 300 with free shipping for 125 pounds which includes two sleeping bags, 2 Mats and a camo cover brand new. Could sell the bags and mats. But not sure if the 300 would be overkill.

I'll check out some of the tents you guys listed. Also found in another thread this "sil hexpeak." which looks pretty nice for weight, price, room, etc.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi, good on you for hitch-hiking around Europe, what a great adventure you must be having.

I can recommedn the Vango Banshee 200. It's a great size tent for one person. It's robuts and should withstand poor weather and it also gives you have plenty of room to sleep and also store your backpack inside. Also benefits from a small porch area for your boots etc. The link above to campingandcaravandirect.co.uk is probably the cheapeast you'll get a brand new one.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Another thumbs up for the Vango Banshee, I've got/used both the 200 and 300 and they are great tents. For solo definitely go 200. Will be more than enough space for you and your gear!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I feel for you with the postage problem. Gcckoka brought a tarp a on the last DD group buy and it had to be sent to a container shipping company in London,to be forwarded on to him. All I can say is good luck

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Been checking out all you guys have mentioned. For the weight and price I'm leaning towards a zephyros 2 that would be 136 pounds shipped to Georgia from sports direct. Seem to be the best for shipping anyway. But they also hl have the vango scimitar 200 for a nice price but no idea about that I've yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE