Tarp cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Hi all
Just got a nice big alpkit rig 21 and looking get tie outs on it.looking for something a bit lighter than para cord.
Any ideas welcome
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 26, 2010
Cheltenham
backpackinglight.co.uk do some great kevlar cord. but... it has the downside that it is thin and having travelled loads in Canada.. I've gone back to using 550 para-cord... easier to tie and undo and no need use anything other than knots.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How about the 4mm accessory cord from camping shops. Buy it by the metre at around 0.45 PM.
FE4C7E1F-031B-4610-92DB-92AE0658FBF6-1196-0000018B72F0D94C_zpseded73fa.jpg

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I bought an IPK recently and it came with 6 aluminium pegs and approx 16m of white nylon cord. IIRC the pegs and cord were £5 and came with a free IPK... or something like that :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a very nice shop locally for cordage: http://www.welshharp.co.uk

They sell offcuts that are usually 10+ metres for peanuts - I like my cordage bright yellow these days, I used to worry about being stealthy but by the time you're close enough to see 2mm cord of any colour you can easily spot all but the best camo tarps so what's the point.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
the 0.75 mm nano cord is similar to what I use - 0.8 mm dyneema 200 lb fishline is what I use - note however the comment above about difficulty tying and untying does apply and thus one needs to be selective in the knots used - for example a taut line hitch is not a good choice for this line because it will either slip or jam

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I think the 2 mm dyneema is the one for me.rhanks for all the suggestions

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Could you elaborate for me please

If you're going to be using really thin line you dont want to be messing around with knots etc. Get yourself some hooks and and a tarp flyze to rig your line up with.

http://dutchwaregear.com/

http://dutchwaregear.com/flyz.html
http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-hooks.html

They make putting up line quick and easy.

I saw a friends setup with his Superfly tarp and thought it was ace. I ordered all the bits and pieces and he knocked me up a couple of ridgelines. I have Skyline Throwline as the ridgeline, a Ducth hook spliced onto one end to go round first tree then hook back onto line or prussik and on the other a tarp flyze and some slack for going round tree and getting a really nice tight taught line. They're brilliant. Got a couple of prussik knots in middle with Dutch biners attached for ends of tarp to attach to and tension.

Best tarp ridline I've ever seen, so light/compact and quick/easy to setup.

Next time I'm out I think I'm going to take some pics/vids of the whole setup and post them.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Get a dutch hook and tarp flyze to go with it ;)

Dutchware for the ridgeline but not for guy lines surely? A decent grippy thin cord will do and a basic adjustable knot

On my cuben tarp I don;t bother with knots on the guys, just marlin spike hitch my stakes into the cords and push them in.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have Marlow dyneema throwing line on my army basha for guy lines, 1.5mm 3kN breaking strain, it knots very well and it was cheap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE