Wax gilet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Happy Friday eve everyone,

I am looking for a non insulated wax cotton gilet/body warmer type thing but have a few specific requirements

1, full zip
2, drop tail/long back
3, not insulated

The closest that I have found so far is the swanndri levels oilskin, but as this is going to be used at work (forestry) I would prefer something a little cheaper if possible.

So does anyone have any ideas for alternatives or do I just get the swanndri and accept that it will get, er, knackered?

Have attached photo of the swannie
854b67abff23ca39df2be9e14a097e1b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Happy Friday eve everyone,

I am looking for a non insulated wax cotton gilet/body warmer type thing but have a few specific requirements

1, full zip
2, drop tail/long back
3, not insulated

The closest that I have found so far is the swanndri levels oilskin, but as this is going to be used at work (forestry) I would prefer something a little cheaper if possible.

So does anyone have any ideas for alternatives or do I just get the swanndri and accept that it will get, er, knackered?

Anything here meet your needs? - hunting and country type wear:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Anything here meet your needs? - hunting and country type wear:

Thanks for the link Broch, wow, that is a lot of gilets that they stock!
Unfortunately nothing with a long back...

• Sad
Reactions: Broch

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
These seem alright
Yeah, my first thought was either a cheapy Champion or Hoggs gilet but a drop tail design like in the pic that I posted would be hugely beneficial. Stops you getting cold/wet lower back when leaning forwards....

Jun 6, 2011
Staffordshire
Try Kaiwaka, excellent farm outerwear, I practically live in their kit.
Kiwikit are the stockists I use, we even have a rep in a van calls into the farm

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Buy / find a secondhand wax jacket eBay/ charity shop/ etc remove the sleeves , you should be able to find a shop or someone locally who can do alterations cheaply .

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yeah, my first thought was either a cheapy Champion or Hoggs gilet but a drop tail design like in the pic that I posted would be hugely beneficial. Stops you getting cold/wet lower back when leaning forwards....

You would not need a long back if you had high back trousers like Hoggs used to do in the old days. What you need to find is a custom maker.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Finding a non padded gilet is not an easy task. I gave up many years ago and relish the season change when my scabby garment comes into its own.
S

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Finding a non padded gilet is not an easy task. I gave up many years ago and relish the season change when my scabby garment comes into its own.
S
Tell me about it, majority of gilets seem to be aimed at folk who put the heating on in August!

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Try Fortis - www.fortisclothing.co.uk Explorer gilet in various formats. They can wax them too. Oli the owner wears one.
Thanks, the Fortis stuff looks great, the waterproof gilet is about perfect - BUT - I can get one of each of the swanndri oilskin gilets for the price of one Fortis!
Maybe as a retirement present (if there is a retirement age when I get there!).

Might get a cheapie gilet and then an old jacket from a charity shop to cut a piece to extend the tail...

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There's a cheap Barbour Westmorland here:

Also, you can look into cycling gear options - they usually have tails - take the arms off a conventional bike jacket, or find a gilet. Made in all sorts of materials from Ventile to Gore-Tex and a ton of different stuff in between

Last edited:

jtkirkland

Dec 11, 2014
Coastal Georgia, United States
my friend got a 'Walker and Hawkes' gilet from Amazon here in the US. I believe they are available in the UK as well. It is a damn fine product for the money. They might be available elsewhere if Amazon gives one heartburn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE