tarp camping in the rain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
hilltop said:
slept under an army poncho, then basha for 7 years as a soldier, 16 years as a civvy, its light weight camping pure and simple, lol
ps. i also have a jack wolfskin pocket hotel, but only used that once in 10 years and that was when wife decieded to have a night in the wilds, lol

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
addyb said:
Is there any issues with using an army poncho as a basha if it fits? I'm five foot nine, and if I stretch my poncho out all the way, it's longer than I am. Would that make a good basha? I'm too used to sleeping in a tent so I'm a wee bit nervous about what I'll sleep under this summer as I've decided to try and lower my pack weight as much as possible.

Adam

Don't forget to tie up the hood though Adam ;)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Well this was taken this morning and it was p***ing it down with a vengeance. After an overnighter at my woods. :)
My ruksak is sitting on a simple tripod to keep it off the ground and nice and dry.

P5210168.jpg

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Bjorn Victor said:
Nice picture pete!

Is that a military trangia in front?

Bjorn

PS: how do you post pictures in your post?

Thanks Bjorn.

No its just a mini trangia with a wind break around it, there was a fire going but the amount of food I like to cook for breakfast I didn't want to hog the fire so the others couldn't get to it......lol

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Bjorn, you've got some great pictures there. Can you reduce the really big one so that it's easier for people to see, many thanks for that.

I've just read your other post, if you need a hand getting ti smaller just say. ;)

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Well Tony, in photobucket, there is a function the lets you reduce the size of the pictures. I tried it (reduce 50%) but the pictures still look very big indeed. I would appreciate if you could make them a bit smaller for me. Apart from the reduce size function in photobucket, I have no photo editing software on my PC.

Is that possible?

Many thanks, :You_Rock_

bjorn

EDIT: To tony, got some help from a friend. Hope i'm not bothering you too much :)

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Bjorn Victor said:
Well Tony, in photobucket, there is a function the lets you reduce the size of the pictures. I tried it (reduce 50%) but the pictures still look very big indeed. I would appreciate if you could make them a bit smaller for me. Apart from the reduce size function in photobucket, I have no photo editing software on my PC.
Hi Bjorn
New to posting images myself but I was put on to http://www.imageshack.us/ by British Red and have had no problems in sizing pictures.
P@ul

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
The Joker said:
Well this was taken this morning and it was p***ing it down with a vengeance. After an overnighter at my woods. :)
My ruksak is sitting on a simple tripod to keep it off the ground and nice and dry.

I like the tripod idea, very simple and effective.

Simon.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
The tripod idea IS a good one! I have a dry-bag in which I stuff my sleeping bag, and my clothes all go into tightly sealed stuff sacks as well as my food. Mind you, I've never had the notion to use a tripod in case of wet ground, up until now all my outdoor clothing has been synthetic - not one single bit of cotton or wool - so if I get soaked, I usually just have to hunker down in the rain and deal with it by swearing my head off. Sleeping in a wet down-bag has got to be about the worst thing in the entire world. But you get used to little things like that, and I guess they make you a better person with good character. I think this summer I'll try just using a poncho/tarp and a bivvy bag. :)

Adam

N

Nigel Harper

this thread is cool! im going to use a tarp (basha?) for the first time this weekend and im looking for information about how to do it. some of the pictures are amazing i don't know you can pitch things like that!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
people may laugh, but one thing i have with me is a small folding table :D
i know it's not very bushcrafty but it's very useful. it keeps my stove off the ground and gives me a level surface for cooking/food prep.
for a tarp i use a hex-fly. it gives a large living area,handy in the wet also i carry a poncho which i can rig as a wind break to keep the weather out. i keep a tape daisy chain and karabiner to secure my rucksack to whichever tree i'm suspending my hammock from.

M

magicaltrevor

my personal recommendation for reducing the size of loads of pictures is Irfanview

It's also free! I generally take pictures in high resolution and then reduce them for email/documents/presentation slides, etc

Andrew

Bjorn Victor said:

Is that possible?

Many thanks, :You_Rock_

bjorn

EDIT: To tony, got some help from a friend. Hope i'm not bothering you too much :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE