tarp/basha material

i fancy making my own tarp/basha, mostly because im poor and cant justify spending however much on a DD tarp right now.

wondered if anyone else had made bashas before, and if so what material did they use? i figured it would be cheaper to buy the material and sew slim webbing around the edges to hold eye rings and attachment points.

any pointers or would i be better off just buying one?

cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
To be honest mate you'll struggle to get a decent fabric and accessories much cheaper than something like a DD. If you want something to carry then you're looking at nylon really, then it has to be coated or a waterproof wash added. For toughness you want ripstop so again that bumps up the price. Builders tyvek sheeting is one to think about if you can get it cheap.
An alternative would be to make a cotton one and try to proof it the best you can, folk have made them from decorators cover sheets and then used something like Thompsons water seal, if you can get a heavier weight cotton then even better.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
As Shewie say's by the time you have purchased the stuff, your time spent making the tarp, getting the webbing for tab's, waterproofing ridgeline seam, its cheaper in the long run to just buy a fully functional product.
however here is one of the cheapest site's for ripstop ect I have seen. Have a good root around. end of the day its your time money and choice.
good luck what ever you decide on doing :)
http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/index.php?cPath=95&osCsid=dfrnubunnia4et5vr4or7oofd5

mountainm- that looks just about perfect! id rather get a cheap one as my first as there is a good chance i might rip it sooner or later, thanks!

ch@rlie- thanks for the link anyway :) i may well end up making one sooner or later, depends how many other things i find to do instead of revising for my exams!

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Well if your on a tight budget, I also meant to add, try here http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/army-camouflage-tarpaulins.html
I think they look the same as "mountainm" posted but this site has lots of sizes. 2.7m x3.5m is just under £6 but p&p is about £5
The material is plastic, (I couldnt make my mind up what it was, untill I started cutting one about) its strong, the edges have a cord re-enforsment, but the eyelets do pop out. use a marble or rounded stone, then fold the tarp edge or corner over it, then do a larks head knot over it & pull tight to secure guylines.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
mountainm- that looks just about perfect! id rather get a cheap one as my first as there is a good chance i might rip it sooner or later, thanks!

ch@rlie- thanks for the link anyway :) i may well end up making one sooner or later, depends how many other things i find to do instead of revising for my exams!

What ever you decide to get or make.................Revise, dear boy, Revise.......................................& then some.

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I bought 10m of Pu coated nylon some time ago and made a couple of tarps about 3m x 2.5m as well as a pack cover and some stuffsacks. The fabric cost £3 a metre so cost was pretty reasonable. The best part, of course, is using something that you made yourself. Can't buy that!

Last edited:

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I don't know what you have in britain but here every petrolstation and supermarket sells a cheap type of tarp in various sizes wich people use for covering everything from boats to firewood. It is a noisy plastic material which is not that strong but not that heavy. It's cheap and it works.
It's actually what Lars Monsen uses if you need the celebrity hip factor!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't know what you have in britain but here every petrolstation and supermarket sells a cheap type of tarp in various sizes wich people use for covering everything from boats to firewood. It is a noisy plastic material which is not that strong but not that heavy. It's cheap and it works.
It's actually what Lars Monsen uses if you need the celebrity hip factor!

Sorry Husky, had to google your Lars Monsen,.... if his choice in tarps is anything like his taste in women, this guy is worth copying.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Wow thanks Husky I've just watched a few minutes & it looks great, I shall be reserving some time this weekend to watch it in full.
He looks like an interesting chap.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have a desert camo tarp that i could be persuaded to part with - it had a leak on one of the fabric tabs down the centre seam, but *think* i have fixed it with seamseal glue. Have you got any kit you want rid of in exchange??

thankyou very much bushcraft bob, but I havent been bushcrafting very long and only have a few pieces of kit which i use constantly, so thankyou for the offer.

i think im going to buy one of the cheap ones of amazon, see how they turn out, thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I made my own tarp up and had no prob's with it.

img1059yf0.jpg

img1068fk6.jpg

img1072zn0.jpg

Hope this help you out.

Topknot

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
I made my own tarp up and had no prob's with it.

Topknot

Hi

What material did you use ?

Had to laugh, one of the earlier links to material started with fluorescent pink that would make an inconspicuous tarp :lmao:

Thanks

MB

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE