Tarp and hammock advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
So I've just won a web tex basha/tarp on fleabay!

http://bit.ly/14fjJRG

Now I'm planning on getting a TW green hornet hammock!

The basha is 175 x 255cm so will it be big enough for use as an effective tarp over the hammock?

Apologies for being such a noob! :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Leedsbrew,

The basha at that length will unfortunately be a bit short. It'll do for light vertical rain but you'll get a bit wet if it rains hard or there's any wind. You ideally need a tarp with some more coverage to keep you dry in varying conditions.

The smaller the tarp, the closer to the hammock it needs to be pitched and that means the tarp will be very close to you, making things a lot less roomy.

Opinions on size differ but I'd want at least a 3m x3m to be comfy and I'd go bigger if most of my camping was short carries into the woods. Tarps with doors are very good as they reduce the needed length, provide lots of flexibilty and work well on the ground too. Think floating tent.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
For a simple cover yes it will be fine but if it rains you really need something a little longer.
Its only my opinion but I think you need minimum of 3mtrs to cover the length of the hammock if not longer.
A good start is the 3x3 from DD hammocks this can be pitched square or on the diamond to make it longer.
These are only my thoughts and others will vary.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As above the basha is going to be a little short in bad weather. If your looking for a tarp just for use with your hammock (good choice on the TW hornet btw) I'd recommend the TW Sargasso range. I have a Sargasso storm and its seen me through some very heavy weather, and its a good price.
The DD 3x3m offer more pitching options and are great for ground sleeping and are generally more versatile. However it only just covers the Hornet hammock (2.8m) and really its good to have your tarp covering your attachment points to stop any water dripping down your lines and into your hammock.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Haha I should get commission ;), probably worth saying that I'm not connected in any way just me and a couple of friends all use their gear and it's never let us down.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Was glad of every millimetre of my 3m x 3m Tatonka during Saturday night's downpour.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
If you rig the basha from opposite corners then it will be 3.09 metres long, which will give you enough cover lengthways for a hammock although it will be asymmetric at the sides. It will look rather open at each end but as long as you are well sheltered by the trees you will only get vertical rainfall and you will probably be okay. That said, 3 x 3 metres is generally the minimum tarp size that people use.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Thanks for all the replies chaps! You have confirmed what I had suspected! I recon it'll get slung up as an admin, sitting area cover when in camp!

The DD tarps look very good! Thanks for the link to the TW as well CH! That looks the balls!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
From experience, the cordage and stakes that come with the TW hammocks for the tarp is a bit on the ropey (excuse the pun!) side.

I love the kit but don't know why they ship 'em with such poor accessories.

Still great value for money though.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I've got a Webtex basha and it's really too small for anything, I'm going to make it into stuff sacks for my two issue ones.

leedsbrew if you do get a DD tarp don't get the "olive green" , it's more like dayglow aqua green !

I got one and sold it straight away, the colour is a joke.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My DD in olive was quite dark in colour. If I get another DD it wil be the coyote but not unless I can get my hands on a Tatonka TC first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE