Tapping Ash Sap???

D

DrSin

Has anyone ever heard of tapping Ash for the sap? I haven't but then I came across this,
http://www.forestharvest.org.uk/species.php?name=Ash

"Ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
Description

Large tree with pinnate leaves and characteristic black buds.
Habitat

Occurs in many kinds of deciduous woodland.
Uses

The young fruits, known as 'keys', can be pickled in vinegar and spices, and eaten. They taste a little like capers.

The sugary sap can also be tapped from the trunk in the early spring, like birch, and either drunk as it is or fermented.

An infusion of the dried leaves is used as a remedy for rheumatism and gout. Some people recommend it as a general health drink.
Gathering

Ash keys are ready pickling in the late summer. For medicinal purposes, the leaves should be gathered in May-June and dried in a dark place."

After doing a couple of google searches I cant find any other info, just wondered what you all thought.

Cheers Rowan

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Depending on the type of Ash I thought the sap was inedible at best...if not slightly toxic to us humans.......I would steer clear....

happy to be proved wrong though...as I have a garden full of them!

D

DrSin

lol I will try it after you ;)

The strange thing is that that website is the only one I have found saying it is edible, and we all know that everything that we read on the web is absolutely true!!!!!

Cheers Rowan

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I knew the seeds were edible, & according to PFAF a manna can be obtained from the bark.

I will go & try tapping one over the weekend maybe.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I`ve not heard about anyone here drinking the sap.
But I doubt it is toxic. In the 80`s there was a craze about the health benefits of the concoction of ash wood in Norway. Pieces of tree boiled in water drunk like medicin (bought for a lot of money of course). Many people swore by it and claimed it cured everything:lmao: .
Probably an idea taken from norse mythology ( the ash Yggdrasil) blended nicely with new age drivel.
Anyhow, no one died of it though.

Tor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE