Tanning Rabbit Skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hootchi

Settler
How do you tan your rabbit skins? :?:

I would like to hear some easy methods with readily available materials. I think Paganwolf touched on it in a previous thread, off topic, using handcream or something :shock: a long long time ago.

Do you have to file down the skin and what if there are fatty deposits such as on larger rabbits? Can they get damp once they are tanned with whatever? Do they smell? :roll: Im thinking of making a hat.

I know you can dry them with salt but then they can't get wet if you dont do anything further. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance(i'm sure :wink:)

Hootchi

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've only done reindeer, and I don't remember well as I just followed a book and kept getting it wrong. I just scraped it down to get all flesh etc off, stretched it over a light wooden frame, and let it dry for a week in the sun (on my back). I don't know how you'd keep flies off in warmer climes :?: or how to tan it properly. However it made very smart gloves (well, smart considering I made them!) which are warm too, and it's very satisfying to have your own gloves you did all yourself :)
They are almost waterproof, and do not smell. Feel free to ask more! :)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
the easiest way i find is to streatch it out and pin it to a board scrape it then cover with lots of salt to draw out the moisture,leave it for about a day scrape off the salt and re-apply and leave till dry, then work it with a tallow or a hand cream to supple it up again, works ok and only needs normal house hold stuff... but there is more than one way to skin a cat or rabbit :wink:

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
hootchi said:
I will need to get a few. But if it rains :roll:
:biggthump
I suppose I could try to 'wax' the fur on the outside with vaseline or something :?:

If you tan it with brains or egg (not sure about handcream) you can smoke it. This Changes the protein structure which makes it waterproof...ish. Well when dry after being wet it won't become stiff.

I see your in Devon. I've recently moved to Exmouth. If your every in this area I'd be happy to show you the process. I'm in the middle of tanning two deer hides at the moment.

Best wishes,

James

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
hootchi said:
Thanks guys. I dont think im going to mess around with brains :shock: but use Paganwolfs method.
PW or anyone else, can you get the hide wet after treatment and does it smell?
Thanks,

Hootchi
I never got one wet, what you thinking of doing with it :shock:

hootchi

Settler
Thanks for the info guys. This thread is a little confused with the times :?: but I think I will try Paganwolfs method. It seems the simplest and no smoking needed :super: Its almost so simple I cant believe it works.

Any more tips :eek:): ?

Thanks everyone, I can really rely on you! :wink:

Hootchi :You_Rock_

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I can't see why you couldn't get one wet, it is skin after all :?:
My reindeerskin & bearskin are almost 100% waterproof, and I've no qualms about getting them wet. I'm fairly sure the bearksin is tanned with chemicals however. If all else fails you could coat it in something modern too keep the wet out. :roll:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Dunno if it is relevant (or even strictly bushcraft), but whilst I was in Pearce-Tandy on Saturday, I was slightly surprised to see they stock Tannit solution, which will do hair-on tanning.

Here endeth my knowledge on the subject :D

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Just been talking to an old guy at work about this he tells me that he PU glued a piece of fabric to the back of rabbit skins before stitching together to make them tougher and less likely to rip when made into a hat ect :?: sounds plausible.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I got a little tanning kit from Snowdonia Taxidermy supplies.
Just mix it up with water and it will last for years.
Clean the skin and chuck it in the solution over night and it's done.
A quick rinse and let it dry.
Really easy and effective.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
hootchi said:
Sounds good, will check tham out. Rabbit skins are good and thin so dont need scraping etc?
that would seen to work PW. Are they normaly fragile?
Young bunnies tend to be, tough old bucks are a bit better, they do have a tendancy of tearing if you are too close to the edge when they are wet, ill have to try that rapid :biggthump

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I believe that if you are dressing your hide you shouldn't get your leather wet or you'll wash out the brains/fat. Smoking coats the collagen fibres in formaldihyde(sp?) and so gives them a limited water resistance, you still need to work them dry or you'll get stiff spots.
You could bark tan them, chop up some oak bark cover it with water and simmer it on the stove for a good few hours, it smells really nice. Strain off the liquid and let it cool then pop your hides in it, stir it once a day, never done rabbit but squirrel took about 6 days, to check if its done just cut a sliver off the neck (thickest part of the hide) and if you have an even colour through the hide it's done. Then let it dry a bit but while still damp give it a coating of warm lard (paganwolf's vaseline would probably work just as well, I can imagine him in Boots "It's for a rabbit skin, Honest!" :naughty: ) and then work it til it's dry and supple. It won't be waterproof but the leather will dry out without rotting or stinking.
If you can't get oak bark just get a cheapo packet of loose leaf tea and use in the same way, it doesn't smell as nice though.
Also if you use brains you should cook them first as they can give you a nasty bacterial infection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE