Tales from the Green Valley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
Earlier this month I obtained the DVD set of the Tales from the Green Valley series.
I didn't see the series at all when it was on TV probably because 2005 was such a nightmare year with my wife having Cancer etc.
I obtained the DVD's straight from the Producer,Peter Sommer. He was so chuffed that I was interested and he asked if I'd spread the word about the program and that the DVD's are available.
The series is set in a remote (secret) location on the Welsh borders. The Farm had been abandoned in the 19th Century but has been undergoing restoration over the last 15 years.
The aim of the program to quote from the back of the DVD case...
.... is to turn the clock back 400 years,five Archaeologists and Historians take on the challenge of running a farm for a year,as it was when King James I ruled the land.
Working without electricity,refridgeration,mains water,tractors or chemical pesticides,the group live off the land,eating the food they grow and wearing the clothes they create.They cope with a plethora of natural challenges - with 400 year old manuals as their source of knowledge.
Each episode focuses on a month in the life of the farm,following the seasonal tasks,from Harvesting and building to birthing Calves and pigs,from salting and smoking meat to Sheep shearing and garment making as they travel back to a forgotten time...
The enthusiasm of the participants is tremendous as they throw themselves into each new task.
Its a set well worth obtaining and heres where the Two DVD set can be obtained...

http://www.petersommer.com/tv_tales.html

Price only £19.99 with free delivery in the UK

Oggie.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have the same set (and also bought a set for a friend for Xmas). A great series and well worth a watch. A really calm and pleasent viewing experience - informative, entertaining and thoroughly worthwhile

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
My family have these and they are great to watch. Not only is there so much great stuff (carving fishing rods, hedge laying, thatching, herbology (is that a word?)) but it is so different to normal TV programmes - the people actually wanted to be there and enjoyed it rather than the producers being forced to do a reality TV style programme.
The only bit I found odd is that in the first episode it says that Health and Safety rules mean they weren't allowed to live in the farm yet it was quite apparent that they did anyway :rolleyes:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I confess that I didn't watch that series. Partly because it was a typical tv cock up compared to the original remiot, but mostly because I was going to be one of the farm hands, but the chaps who got the gig were more tv friendly despite being inept and inexperienced!

I'm not bitter :mad:

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I thoroughly enjoyed this series, also have the DVD, and can highly recommend it. They were clearly inexperienced but I have no real way of judging if they were inept - they seemed to me to become quite proficient at a good many things, and part of the appeal was seeing them gain experience and get there. I thought this was a rare piece of really good TV.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of the series! There was also a BBC 2 program on at Yule using many of the same people called "A Tudor Christmas Feast" which was also good viewing.
If anyone reading this wants to see a clip, go to the website in my original post and there is a short clip on there.
Oggie.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
No problem! I'm sure you will love it! Let us know how you get on.
Peter Sommer is also really fast at posting these out.If you ordered it from him online today,you may have it on Tuesday!
Oggie.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE