Taking knife hiking in UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quake_gl

Sep 29, 2013
HOME
Of course i will put it in the checked bag.

And yes,i am bringing it.I will take my chances.

Chris,i am actually in my late twenties,so no offense.I will not come for tourism,so you wont see me in tourist spots yielding a knife... :dunno:
I am not looking for fights,and if asked by police i will say it is for camping/bushcrafting. :cop:
And if i stay in the occasional hostel,i guess i will refrain from inviting people to check it out. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Whilst reading through this thread I noticed that although the OP said he was going to be hiking/backpacking, he hadn't mentioned where or how he would be spending his evenings i.e. Tent camping, tarp camping, hotels/hostels etc.

Besides bushcrafting, hillwalking and tent camping is my other main hobby, and when out on the trail my EDC knife is my Alox Pioneer.
As I am tent camping, this small non-locking folder meets all my needs...minor cutting tasks only (my fixed blade and locking folder are only carried on my person when bushcrafting in camp)

I think it depends on his needs, and as Chris says a small non locking folder in his pocket and a Mora kept deep in his pack, should it be required, is sound advice

Personally, i would never carry any non-legal blade without being confident that i could explain my good reason for carrying it

Horses for courses as they say!

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
After recent events I don't think police will be in a favorable mood if your found with a illegal knife they will take it off you. I can't see why your soo determined to take it, seems alot of hassle for not a great amount of reward. Personally I would take others advise and buy a knife once I got here.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
You're perfectly entitled to take a locking knife through your checked luggage, the posters suggesting it'd get scanned and confiscated is over reacting. OP isn't bringing an illegal weapon!

If OP feels he is able to justify the reason behind carrying a locking knife in the context of hiking, and he leaves it in his hotel room etc when out and about in the cities, I don't see where the problem is. I agree that it'd be much easier just to pick up a SAK or similar for the trip.

Just because of the current knife culture (knives are weapons, knife crime and police clampdowns etc) and that most people do not need a knife does not mean you should not exercise your rights and carry a legal/legal when justifiable knife where appropriate.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
I have a small SAK on my keyring as I also fly regularly....over the last 10 years I have had three small knives taken at airport security. One was my fault as I didn't know about the Danish law of "one handed opening is illegal" (I did like that small spyderco). The other two were little gerber dime's - and they didn't take them for the blade, they took them for the pliers - no tools allowed. Having carried the SAK for a couple of years without incident, if i do lose it, then so be it.

Agree, to be safe at security - just don't carry anything like that.

I agree with previous posts in that you should pick up a SAK when you are here (or even before you leave and check it in). They are awesome and my main edc (preferred over a single blade).

thanks
Tim B

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Take a SAK in addition to your other knife. Keep the locking one deep in the pack until you need it. Camping is a perfectly justifiable reason for a small knife so don't fret.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This is simple. The guy wants his locking knife for use with good reason. Put in the checked baggage. Use it for your trip. Don't wander around town showing it off. Don't take it to the pub. Don't go nightclubbing with it. Don't go to a Millwall football match with it.

These ridiculous paranoia threads get tedious.

And all the SAK recommendations do not fit with this guys needs for a locker. Just bring it, be sensible, you'll be fine. :)

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
A knife like Fällkniven WM, are they legal in UK?

To carry ANY knife with blade longer than 3inches, or with ANY length fixed blade,or ANY lock knife, you have to have a "good reason"
A folding knife that doesn't lock with a blade less than 3 inches may be carried without a reason required.
Certain knives are banned and illegal full stop - e.g Butterfly, flick etc.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To carry ANY knife with blade longer than 3inches, or with ANY length fixed blade,or ANY lock knife, you have to have a "good reason"
A folding knife that doesn't lock with a blade less than 3 inches may be carried without a reason required.
Certain knives are banned and illegal full stop - e.g Butterfly, flick etc.

Illegal full stop? Or illegal to carry? It was my understanding that almost any knife was legal to own as long as it was left at home.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Illegal to carry. You can own a balisong but you cant sell it or carry it around

You can't manufacture, import or sell a balisong, I believe they had to be owned before a particular date too

....little research later, 1988

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
You can't manufacture, import or sell a balisong, I believe they had to be owned before a particular date too

....little research later, 1988

Not sure why you quoted me but yes as i said you can own one legally. I could have added the date i s'pose but *shrugs

TheNugget

May 14, 2015
UK
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
gravity knives
stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
push daggers
blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
hand or foot-claws
knuckledusters

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Use whatever type or sized knife you want. If you can provide a reasonable excuse for it's use and where it's being used you will have no problems. Full stop.

Using a SAK to cut an apple in the park ....reasonable? Using your heirloom machete to cut a sandwich on a bench in town? Reasonable? No.

Use bloody common sense an stop worrying about "what if" and listening to people's stories of woe.

As long as it is not a prohibited weapon as listed in legislation. You will be fine.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
And you not being British the worst that can happen is a couple of years in the Tower.

Or more likely, a gentle telling off by the Uniformed...

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Use whatever type or sized knife you want. If you can provide a reasonable excuse for it's use and where it's being used you will have no problems. Full stop.

Using a SAK to cut an apple in the park ....reasonable? Using your heirloom machete to cut a sandwich on a bench in town? Reasonable? No.

Use bloody common sense an stop worrying about "what if" and listening to people's stories of woe.

As long as it is not a prohibited weapon as listed in legislation. You will be fine.

Agreed, so the best advice is to take a knife that gives the highest utility......sub 3" folder

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE