Taking knife hiking in UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quake_gl

Sep 29, 2013
HOME
I want to take my knife with me,when i will come to UK,to hike in the summer.
It is a Cold Steel folder with lock,about 3,5 in in length(not sure if thats the cutting edge only or the space for finger too)

If i understand the laws correctly it is illegal for everyday carry.So what can i do?
Will i have problem in my checked bag at airport?Should i hide it?
Should i not hide,and say it is for backpacking use ,if found?

Are the rules hard enforced,or you can talk out of it?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I will never get a non locking folder, thx.
Also i love my knife too much to leave it.

Then run risk of it being confiscated at the airport when they scan your luggage.

You ask are the rules hard enforced over here, simple answer is yes they are. You really could end up being arrested for carrying a locking knife in a public place if you're stopped with it in the UK. Saying you're on a backpacking holiday isn't real justification for carrying it over here. The very least is you'll get a caution and the knife confiscated.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The chance it will be confiscated from your checked luggage is pretty nil. I carry several knives, and they have never been taken.

You should measure it properly and see if it is legal to carry on your person in UK.
If you do not do the measuring, it is pointless to discuss it!

Which wilderness area do you plan to hike in?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The chance it will be confiscated from your checked luggage is pretty nil. I carry several knives, and they have never been taken.

You should measure it properly and see if it is legal to carry on your person in UK.
If you do not do the measuring, it is pointless to discuss it!

Which wilderness area do you plan to hike in?

The length is irrelevant. The point is that locking knives generally can't be carried.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If the knife is in checked, hold, luggage, not your carry-on, it will not be confiscated at the airport. They will not care. I have travelled to Norway, Sweden, the US, Canada, Hong Kong, and Namibia, all with different airlines, and had a knife of some sort, often a sheath knife, sometimes even a parang or axe, in checked luggage without problem.

Trying to hide things in carry on luggage is a losing game these days. I had Eurostar security see a Swiss Army knife in my bag, and through shear incompetence fail to find it and just let it go through, but the airport staff tend to be more thorough. They will keep going till they find what they are looking for. A friend had his titanium Spork confiscated and another was held up while they searched his wallet till they found the blunt leather work needle that he had forgotten was there. The x-ray gear is very good these days. If you pack things in a metal container and they can't see what is there, they will have you unpack it all to satisfy themselves. Some flights now allow small knives, but others don't. I like my knives, but have never needed one in an airport.

Camping is possibly a "good reason" for having a locking or fixed blade (legally they are the same). Hiking in itself is not going to be a "good reason" in the eyes of the law. Lots of people hike without even as much as a SAK. Hiking is just walking after all. Also if you are staying in hostels you have both less need of a cutting tool and will be in closer proximity to people with whom you "might" have disagreements.

If you want to be 100% safe you would be better off getting a non-locking folder (Boker Techtool is fantastic), however, the next best would be a non-locking folder in your pocket and a Mora fixed blade deep in your pack. The least good would be the 3.5" Cold Steel in your pocket. My reasoning in this is that a 4" fixed blade is better for food prep than a 3.25/3.5" folder, it is better for fire wood prep, it can slice bread much better, all things you do when in camp. When you are not in camp you don't need it, and it is buried where it is not readily accessible. A locking folder in your pocket can be seen as an accessible concealed weapon. This isn't legal advice and but if I was stopped and had to explain the presence of a knife, I think I would have a better chance explaining the Mora than the CS.

The chance of you being stopped and searched if you are fairly clean cut and presentable is pretty low. If you are hiking through the countryside it is even lower. The risk is in the unexpected. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or being reported by some member of the public. Less likely to happen in the countryside, but some popular tourist areas do get patrols.

When I was young I thought exactly the same way about locking vs non-locking, I also thought my Cold Steel Voyagers were fantastic and wanted to carry them all the time. I ran risks. I even ran some risks with a Large Sebenza. I also had two near misses with police that scared me into being a lot more careful. I have since learned that my CS Voyagers were not so amazing and that a lot of what I need to cut can be done with a non-single handed non-locking knife. Maybe not as safely and not as conveniently, but it is nice to be able to use my knife in front of people without a care or concern.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nothing wrong with non-locking folders - the 'lock up' on the lansky world-legal is incredibly positive, you'd have to be doing something very daft with it to have it fold on your fingers. Ditto many other quality slipjoints.

For a hiking trip in the UK, a SAK is probably the best tool. Get one with scissors, they are so useful for trimming stuff. If you are 'wilderness camping' and think you'll be running a woodstove, I think a model with a woodsaw will be just fine for shortening twigs that you can't snap.

There isn't the *need* in the UK to carry a big, robust blade. That's a *want* to carry. If travelling (particularly when young) is best to carry something innocuous in appearance and definitely legal. Don't go looking for confrontation.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Further thoughts. When I read your post I assumed you were in your teens or early twenties. According to your details when you signed in, you are much older, just a few years younger than me. Sorry, no offence intended if my post sounded like it was aimed at someone young.

There are a number of theads on this forum about knife laws in the UK, and there are even more over on British Blades. You won't get any advice here about how to circumvent the laws. The law is aimed at allowing police to deal with people carrying knives as weapons while recognising that they can also be tools. It is clear that a locking knife requires a good reason for carrying, but whether the reason you give is considered good or not is up to the officer who you are talking to. How he treats you can depend on his personal views, where you are, the level of crime, what you look like, the time of day, what else you are carrying, and the attitude that you display. I have talked to one officer in Leicestershire who had a zero tolerance view and another from the same area who was a lot more understanding. I have a friend who had officers get all worked up about a locking folder...when he was in a field, with permission, carrying out pest control with a scoped and suppressed Ruger 10/22. A senior officer quickly resolved the matter, but clearly the younger officer was so heavily conditioned to see knives as weapons that the circumstances and presence of a firearm didn't register.

By the sound of it, you have decided you are bringing your CS knife. Chances are that there will be times when you would be breaking the law and if you were to be stopped by police would have to face the consequences. You might be able to explain your way out of serious trouble, but you might not. Too many "ifs". Chances are too that if you don't carry it through metal detectors (sight seeing the Houses of Parliament for instance), don't get into any fights, don't have it clipped visibly to your trousers while in town, and don't go using it in an obvious way while around other people, you won't get stopped by the police. There aren't as many police as there used to be and they are all overworked.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nothing wrong with non-locking folders - the 'lock up' on the lansky world-legal is incredibly positive, you'd have to be doing something very daft with it to have it fold on your fingers. Ditto many other quality slipjoints.

It was a model from EKA unless my memory fails me, and yes, I did something daft, I was sitting and 'stabbing' a log I was sitting on. Was bored.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If the knife is in checked, hold, luggage, not your carry-on, it will not be confiscated at the airport. They will not care. I have travelled to Norway, Sweden, the US, Canada, Hong Kong, and Namibia, all with different airlines, and had a knife of some sort, often a sheath knife, sometimes even a parang or axe, in checked luggage without problem.

Trying to hide things in carry on luggage is a losing game these days. I had Eurostar security see a Swiss Army knife in my bag, and through shear incompetence fail to find it and just let it go through, but the airport staff tend to be more thorough. They will keep going till they find what they are looking for. A friend had his titanium Spork confiscated and another was held up while they searched his wallet till they found the blunt leather work needle that he had forgotten was there. The x-ray gear is very good these days. If you pack things in a metal container and they can't see what is there, they will have you unpack it all to satisfy themselves. Some flights now allow small knives, but others don't. I like my knives, but have never needed one in an airport.

Camping is possibly a "good reason" for having a locking or fixed blade (legally they are the same). Hiking in itself is not going to be a "good reason" in the eyes of the law. Lots of people hike without even as much as a SAK. Hiking is just walking after all. Also if you are staying in hostels you have both less need of a cutting tool and will be in closer proximity to people with whom you "might" have disagreements.

If you want to be 100% safe you would be better off getting a non-locking folder (Boker Techtool is fantastic), however, the next best would be a non-locking folder in your pocket and a Mora fixed blade deep in your pack. The least good would be the 3.5" Cold Steel in your pocket. My reasoning in this is that a 4" fixed blade is better for food prep than a 3.25/3.5" folder, it is better for fire wood prep, it can slice bread much better, all things you do when in camp. When you are not in camp you don't need it, and it is buried where it is not readily accessible. A locking folder in your pocket can be seen as an accessible concealed weapon. This isn't legal advice and but if I was stopped and had to explain the presence of a knife, I think I would have a better chance explaining the Mora than the CS.

The chance of you being stopped and searched if you are fairly clean cut and presentable is pretty low. If you are hiking through the countryside it is even lower. The risk is in the unexpected. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or being reported by some member of the public. Less likely to happen in the countryside, but some popular tourist areas do get patrols.

When I was young I thought exactly the same way about locking vs non-locking, I also thought my Cold Steel Voyagers were fantastic and wanted to carry them all the time. I ran risks. I even ran some risks with a Large Sebenza. I also had two near misses with police that scared me into being a lot more careful. I have since learned that my CS Voyagers were not so amazing and that a lot of what I need to cut can be done with a non-single handed non-locking knife. Maybe not as safely and not as conveniently, but it is nice to be able to use my knife in front of people without a care or concern.

I'd add just a bit to your very first sentence: Don't carry ANY knife in your carry-on regardless of your destination. Put ALL cutting tools in checked luggage.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I'd add just a bit to your very first sentence: Don't carry ANY knife in your carry-on regardless of your destination. Put ALL cutting tools in checked luggage.

To make the Security procedure easy and agro free, we do not carry anything sharp, no liquids or gels, wear thin shoes with thin soles, metal free, no coins.
Titanium watches.

Most of our travels we have to pass through three or four jurisdictions each way.

I had a kneebrace with metal components this last trip that made the machinery upset in Heathrow, but it was easy to go through painlessly anyway.
I will need it every time I travel, but have learned that I need to take it off before security and take it through the X-ray machine.

The item I always get asked about is the Blood sausage and cheese I have in my hand luggage.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That is the US TSA line, but flying from London to the US in February it was no problem for me to have my Spyderco Roadie in my carry on. It was a direct flight, no internal transfers. I asked at the check in, just to confirm all the signs that were stating it was permitted. Very specific size and type, smaller than normal UK legal carry. Flying back from the US it was not permitted, so it went checked. My mum lost a tiny knife when her flight made an unexpected stop in Bankok and everyone was forced to de-plane, leave air-side and come back through security. It wasn't a problem leaving Australia, but it was a problem in Thailand, so she lost it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
To make the Security procedure easy and agro free, we do not carry anything sharp, no liquids or gels, wear thin shoes with thin soles, metal free, no coins.
Titanium watches.

Most of our travels we have to pass through three or four jurisdictions each way.

I had a kneebrace with metal components this last trip that made the machinery upset in Heathrow, but it was easy to go through painlessly anyway.
I will need it every time I travel, but have learned that I need to take it off before security and take it through the X-ray machine.

The item I always get asked about is the Blood sausage and cheese I have in my hand luggage.

Try a Titanium hip for holding up the queue. Can't exactly take it off. However, apart from shoe removal and a metal detector scan, I've always got through in a fairly dignified fashion. Why the Ti watch?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That is the US TSA line, but flying from London to the US in February it was no problem for me to have my Spyderco Roadie in my carry on. It was a direct flight, no internal transfers. I asked at the check in, just to confirm all the signs that were stating it was permitted. Very specific size and type, smaller than normal UK legal carry. Flying back from the US it was not permitted, so it went checked. My mum lost a tiny knife when her flight made an unexpected stop in Bankok and everyone was forced to de-plane, leave air-side and come back through security. It wasn't a problem leaving Australia, but it was a problem in Thailand, so she lost it.

Yeah, those unexpected stops can occur easily. I remember back when we could also fly with small pocket knives without problems.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Try a Titanium hip for holding up the queue. Can't exactly take it off. However, apart from shoe removal and a metal detector scan, I've always got through in a fairly dignified fashion. Why the Ti watch?

I was promised a new knee joint in 5 to 10 years, so I wait with the hip for now!

The watch is a Tissot T-touch, an old model. My travel watch. It has a barometer function, wake up function, temperature and a compass.
Very useful.
I collect watches and it is the one I do not mind losing or being stolen.
Plus it goes through the body scan without any beeps.

My other watches are from more dense metals and mechanic. I do not like people handling them, or the watches sitting in a plastic tray.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE