Take care what you post in the mail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Earlier today I posted off a GB SFA to Buckshot.It was securely packaged but needed weighing at the post office.
The cashier asked me what it was and I said an axe.She picked up a handout sheet and said "I'm not sure you can send that through the post as it is on this prohibited list" I enquired where on the list it was to be found and she pointed triumphantly at the icon of a big knife which said 'WEAPONS'. There then ensued a discussion of semantics during which I maintained that the axe is , in 99.9% of cases , a tool rather than a weapon and that a ban on axes would also logically lead to a ban on screwdrivers,chisels,hammers,big spanners,prybars,etc.etc. The queue which was building up behind me was getting restless so I asked to see the manager so that she could continue her work.Once summoned,the manager informed us that these regulations are not in force in the uk for a few months and only apply to international post at the moment. He was however of the opinion that an axe would be in the class of weapons and therefore prohibited.
I suggest that anyone who wants to order tools by post act quickly before the lunatic regulations are in force.
Absolutely ludicrous in my opinion and symptomatic of this paranoia that sees all knives and axes as weapons instead of tools rather than looking at the hand which holds them.Anyone fancy posting me a baseball bat?I'll send you a bicycle chain in exchange , or a straight razor!:pokenest:
Cheers , Simon

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
Does the cashier actually have the right to ask whats in the package ? My local post office just asks if it's of any value.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
This came up on BB a couple of weeks ago... It seems to be a case of somebody not reading the regulations correctly, or attempting to adhere to regulations while brain is disengaged.

Look at this thread, read the regulations yourself and understand them. Print them out and highlight the relevant words and next time you shouldn't have any problems.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Next time just say it's wood working tools :)

Edit... Just picked this up from the Royal Mail Website Restricted Goods

Sharp objects
Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.

And on the Prohibited Goods

Weapons

Including Section 5 firearms, CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives, tasers and stun guns. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.

Guns for sporting use, including Section 1, Section 2 firearms and low-powered airguns are allowed. Please see www.royalmail.com/restrictedgoods

Last edited:

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Unless the rules are being changed significantly I think those PO staff might be getting mixed up.

Weapons are already prohibited for sending by Royal Mail (they classify weapons as "Including Section 5 firearms, CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives, tasers and stun guns.")

But an axe is covered by the restricted items list as "Sharp Object" - but for that you only need to do as below :

Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.

Thanks for the heads up though - I have sent a mail into their customer services to clarify (if the rules are changing). If nothing else a letter from them saying axes are OK to send under their restricted goods rules and are not prhibited will save argument time at the counter ...

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I don't know or care if the cashier has the right to ask what's in the package, (although I think the answer could logically be Yes.) but I have no reason to hide the fact that I am posting a tool , appropriately packaged. I have no problem with her knowing.
I think that a. she had misunderstood the information sheet and b. had a problem with me arguing the point.
Thanks for the link to BB.
Simon

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I didn't think it was a big deal and it wasn't anything confidential or risque so I just told her.
I won't do it again!
Simon

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
From What I read of the postal regs (those y'all have posted here in the thread) It would seem that knives and axes are legal to mail.

However if I were the postal clerk and I had any doubts, I would probably check with a supervisor first (for all we know she might have done so earlier with a prior patron) In any case I would likeley err in favor of not losing my job.

Am I saying don't complain? No. Realize that you may have to complain higher (as you did) and possibly repeatedly; you will likely get a different clerk next time.

But as you imply, it's better to complain properly and politely rather than ranting or causing a scene.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Out of curiosity - was the package axe-shaped? I'm just wondering because I send parcels in all shapes and sizes, but no-one has ever asked what they contain.

Glad you had a satisfactory resolution in the end.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Simple solution.

Tell that its an equine artificial insemination machine. Or a cushion. I dont think Ive ever been totally honest on any manifest. What difference does it make.

My edc has a bottle opener and a corkscrew. Nothing says trustworthy like a drunk man wielding a knife.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
You have a contractual obligation, possibly a legal statutory obligation, and in my opinion a moral obligation, to pack your items in such a way that in normal handling there is no danger to any Post Office employee. Beyond that, unless your item is clearly one of the "prohibited" items listed, there is no reason for the Post Office to refuse your package.

That's really all there is to it.

I remember a time, not so very long ago, when you could send a rabbit through the post, as long as it had an address label attached by string around its neck... no other wrapping required.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those lists make for some amusing reading. You are, for example, not allowed to post goods made in foreign prisons. What's that about?

Some countries use prison labor legitimately such as using products from the prison system's work programs and vocational education. Or to produce item's that the prison system needs to sustain itself (the Florida prison system uses inmate industries to produce the inmates' uniforms and an inmate farm system to supplement their diet)

Other countries view their prisons as free slave labor to be exploited.

I suspect the regulations prohibitting their carriage is so that GB doesn't inadvertantly participate in the latter. That said, it makes it illegal for us here to send you most surplus military uniforms as the issue uniforms are produced by Federal Prison Industries (as were the older military furniture items)

Not to be confused with authorized optional uniform items that are considerred upgrades and are authorized for military members' private purchace.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lot of 'stovies' have had problems with RM and posting stoves. I mark all mine 'used camping equipment' and to date have been OK, sending abroad I'll only use couriers. To be honest RM are not helping themselves. Any of you posting in the UK or overseas anything weighing over 2Kg or of any value I'd seriously say to you look at the likes of

http://www.interparcel.com/?gclid=CL-GoI626LQCFSHHtAodCGIArQ Book online, print off the bar code, stick on your parcel and wait for your doorbell to ring and they pick your item up. I've had stoves picked up Monday and they were in New Jersey on Wednesday morning, stoves to Japan in four days etc so sod RM.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tried to post an axe to Hong Kong a few weeks back, the old dear asked what it was so I told her. She was adamant that it wasn't allowed and kicked up a bit of a fuss, rather than stand there all day arguing I told her to forget it and walked out. I got back in my car and drove 1/2 a mile down the road to the next post office, they asked what it was for the customs label so I said cutlery, they took it no problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE