T.E. Lawrence question (the movie)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Lee

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, WA, USA
Not a bushcraft question, but it was outdoors:campfire:. I just watched the DVD of "Lawrence of Arabia" and was trying to figure out what make of motorcycle he crashed in the opening scene. I also noticed for the first time the initials JAP on the heads of both cylinders. I always assumed he would have been riding a Triumph but it looked different. Of course it was 1935

:thankyou

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
SS100 I believe.
It supposedly still has the two shilling piece that he used to keep in the petrol cap just in case he ran out!

Could equally be an urban myth, but its a nice one!

Ogri the trog

Edit to add - I once saw an old feller start one of these bikes at thte Hendon Aircraft museum (one of Raymond Baxters (who was visiting the place) friends) and screech off up the road -howling past a much younger rider on one of the new (at the time) Yamaha RD250LC's.
OTT

Last edited:

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
It's only cos it was in an episode of Lovejoy that I knew that.

Was that the episode, in which Eric wanted to make a "replica" TA bike.
I just loved that show! :D

Lovejoy: "Do we have to bring mistrust and suspicion into this."

I have some episodes on my computer.

Cheers

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It was definately a Brough superior, as others have got there to answer before me. It was considered the Rolls Royce of motorcycles in it's day.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Was that the episode, in which Eric wanted to make a "replica" TA bike.
I just loved that show! :D

Lovejoy: "Do we have to bring mistrust and suspicion into this."

I have some episodes on my computer.

Cheers

Yeah, that's the one. Cracking series.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
As an aside: we used to have to run up to Lawrence's cottage and back in time for tea when I was a stickie (junior leader's regiment RAC) at Bovingdon. His legend was bi down there and he's still a bit of a hero of mine - anyone read the Seven Pillars of Wisdom?

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I saw T.E. Lawrence's Brough motorcycle in a museum somewhere, I think it was the Imperial War Museum, London. After the crash the makers rebuilt the bike.
Happy trails...torc.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
as an aside he used to go to brown's pie shop in lincoln when he was in the RAF? there's a plaque on the wall outside. lovely pies there

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
> It was a Brough Superior SS100. He used to call it Boa.

Boanerges was, I believe, the full name. No doubt Boa would be the short version. I am told it means "sons of thunder" but was also the name of a horse owned by Alexander the Great. Lawrence owned several Broughs, the last being built in 1932. He wrote some excellent stuff on riding his bikes.

The tale of swerving to avoid two boys is not universally accepted, there are also stories of a mysterious black car in the dip and a conspiracy theory or two.

For some of Lawrence own writing on the subject of 'Boa' try this, just a little down the page........

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2007/09/te-lawrence-road-taken-from-mint.html

Great stuff.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE