Sympathetic rust removal

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Today on the car boot I blew ten quid on a old miners self rescuer, a sort of short term carbon monoxide filter all coal miners had on their belts when underground. My dad, who has ephasema now, did about 25 years under ground with a spell off in the middle when he went off for a rest by during two tours with the army and a spell at the foundry. When I can I pick him up the odd souvenir of his time at the pit, books and bits of kit which after a while end up with the grand sons along with various tales of life under ground.

image_zpse2ea42ab.jpg

Anyroad there's some light rust on the outside and since I'm loathe to take it apart or get it soaked and don't want to use abrasives I was wondering if there's a accepted way of cleaning it up without damaging the finish? Something I could wipe on and off maybe?

ATB

Tom

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Personally I'd spray some WD40 or similar on it, wipe off and leave it. It's all part of the patination that only comes with age/use etc. and gives it character.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would try some fine wirewool with wd40/oil or a piece of cloth with some vinegar.

good luck!

No no abrasives needed its surface rust.... why do people always want to be harsh cleaning metal..... even if it is really rusty, no need to ever use abrasives..

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the input folks! The thing is when in service they were never allowed to get in this state and all the corrosion is new bright stuff from where the scrap dealer has been dragging them around the various carboots he go's to. I tried the bicarbonate and vinegar and it has done a fantastic job cleaning all this recent tarnish off. There's still a lovely patina of use but not neglect, just like the great rows of them I saw at Markham Colliery back in '87 on a 6th form school trip. It's exactly like the ones they hung on each of us before we went down what, 1400 feet in the cage.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE