Swiss Army Volcano Question

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I'm after a small, light burner to use in my brew kit and I think this fits the bill. I know I could probably make a better hobo stove but there's just something about this that makes me want to try it. However, I'm a bit worried about the cork in the bottle. Does it come out easily (leaving me with a wet bag) and if so is there enough room in the burner to substitue the supplied bottle with a sigg bottle or something similar with a proper top?

I know the cork should be secure but if there's a 2% chance of it coming out that means it'll happen 50% of the time to me 'cos I have that kind of luck...

Thanks,

Cal

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think it would take a sigg easy, i can have a measure up tommorow and check if no-one get bhack to you to confirm.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't know about a Sigg, but it certainly takes the screw top, lightweight, metal water bottles the £stores were selling in the summer :D

cheers,
Toddy

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Took mine for a ten mile walk over Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. Full to the brim with water and the cork never came out. If you put hot/warm water in when you fill it up, the cooling of the water will draw the cork in as the water contracts and need less fuel to heat it up when you want a brew.

The cup over the top will also act to stop the cork moving.

Very happy with my purchase from Endicotts in Exeter who gave me a good price and are great for mail order.

Martin

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Recieved mine today with a few other things from Endicotts. The stove looks good and I've had a quick try with it. Got the water hot but not boiling, but its the first time I've tried anything other than a gas burner or trangia. I was using greenheat as well which I've read mixed reviews about. Overall though I'm very happy with it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Unless you are using water you're not very sure about I don't find I actually need to boil it. I can't drink it that hot anyway :eek:

I do like the way the stove cools down quickly enough to be packed away without any fuss. I made a drawstring linen bag to drop mine into and it just slips into my daypack pocket, neat and tidy :approve:
Not as useful for meals, or for more than solo, as the hobo stove set up I have, but it weighs next to nothing and does the job fine :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Actually thats a really good point - the water was easily hot enough to make any drink, I guess I'm just used to boiling water first - whether I need it or not.

I like the idea of a small bag to put it in as well.

Thanks

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I've never had a problem with leakage in all the times I've taken mine out and about. I found that the screw tops on the cheap water bottles soon lose their thread so I don't bother with them any more (I have a couple languishing in a drawer if anyone has any suggestions). Also, another advantage of the supplied bottle is you can heat water in it rather than the cup.

For a bag, I 'borrowed' my daughters pogo stick bag (long and thin), and that will also accomodate a lid I made for the cup out of a fruit tin lid and wooden knob.

See pics here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11980281@N03/3449318425/

Magentus

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I always heat the water in the bottle and then pour out into the cup. I don't know why, as it means I'm heating more water than necessary. I guess it keeps the cup clean though, for what it's worth.

Martin

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Does any one have any experiance with the UK made version?

CForgeStove2.jpg

Cheers!

Tom

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Does any one have any experiance with the UK made version?

A bit of Google-fu returned very little -- mainly the patent and you asking the same question on various other threads! Makes me wonder just how many got produced in the end.

The patent was registered to 19, High Street, Camberley, which is now apparently a branch of Bradford & Bingley so no help there. Centreforge Ltd is currently registered to York House, High Wickham though I can find no web presence so it may not be the same comany (http://www.companiesgate.co.uk/CENTREFORGE+LIMITED.aspx) The patent lawyers still seem to be doing business if that's of any help? http://www.qype.co.uk/place/preview/uk-4212922-gee-company-chtrd-patent-agents-london

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Well, I'll be giving it a bit of use tomorrow since the inshore waters forecast is rubbish and has left me land bound again.

Magentus - I like the lid idea. I might have to shamelessly copy that.

Sainty - I'll try boiling the bottle and see how that works out.

Scanker - Good point on burning lips. You might have saved me an injury there.

Tombear - Thats the first time I have ever seen the UK version - it looks interesting though.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All
I've had no joy finding anything about them apart from a conection to the middle east.

The Nato stores code

Cookset2.jpg

Implies someone had it on issue but I'm damned if I can find out who. It came out of Johnsons of Leeds who had a cardboard box of them a few years back. They often have trials kit and a tendency to imply everything comes out of Hereford ;-{D)

Cookset6.jpg

It worked OK but not so good I felt the urge to use it regularly. The large wire handled pan was fairly useless so I employed it as a stand/ hearth for the jell.

CForgeStove1.jpg

It would be easy enough to copy should you have a long thin mug.

ATB

Tom

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Well after a bit of a walk on Saturday I'm impressed with the stove. It didn't boil the water but, as predicted, I managed to nearly burn my lips on the mug so it was more than hot enough.

I didn't heat the water in the bottle, but did fill it using hot water to start with which stayed warm for much longer than I thought and the cork was really secure.

For a tenner I think its a bargain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE