Swiss Army Stove

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I recently bought one of these after seeing them mentioned by Toddy in the "nutters" thread. (I got mine from: http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3079.html)

My question regards the two piece handle. It's obviously a thing of purpose - the question is what? The main piece is "wiggled" - that's my first question - why? Secondly, the secondary piece of the handle has a small piece that fits into a rectangular slot in the main stove body - again why?

Toddy was uncertain but thought the second part was so the bottle sits above the flames for boiling in the bottle and the "wiggles" for toast!

So...is she right? Any other ideas?

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
She is spot on the money! The handle is designed so the little tag goes in the rectangular hole and supports the bottle when you are boiling. If you don't do that it puts the fire out :rolleyes:

Quite why its bent I don't know but I saw one recently without the handle and a tent peg going through the slot to a hole (probably added) on the other side

I have never tried toast in it but I have tried garlic bread!! Take a finger roll (hot dog size, cut it down the middle and spread in butter mixed with garlic. Wrap it all up really tight in foild and tand that in the oven on the spike for about 4 minutes. Take it out the foildand toast it directly down teh chimney for about 20-30 seconds.... fantasic!! :D

You will have to experiment to get the taste you want

I have a trick that show Scouts which is wrap two hot dogs in foil, then wrap them in two sheets of the daily mail. Set fire to the paper and when its all burnt the hot dogs are cooked, you could probably do somthing like that here too.

Oh yes, remove the cork before boiling water, unless you don't want it anymore :eek:

Reactions: Toddy

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
In answer to the question re: wriggly mess tins: the wriggly bit is known as corrugations and is used because it adds much needed extra strength and rigidity to the metal object (aluminium probably). Think corrugated iron sheeting for roofing etc (aka 'wriggly tin') and corrugated cardboard boxes.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
for the money, you can't go wrong, ideal for a quick brew, or boiling noodles. Pepsi can meths burners can fit nicely inside too :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
anthonyyy said:
Are those stoves any good? They look like an alternative to the crusader system.

They are designed to work with a small fire in the base so they are probably closest to a Kelly Kettle, and I have to admit that I have never used mine as my main stove.

I use it for teachig firelighting to kids where we don't have much space or fuel, normally to cook hot dogs, because they get something to eat quite quickly.

I use my "trangia" for 90% or the time but for £4.99 they are good value and terrific fun :)

O

oilyrag

Swiss army stoves are designed to be used with the Notkocher 71 cooker as supplied in swiss army rations. It has an integrated stand to keep the bottle off the flame (3cm gap). Pop can stoves work very well with these units.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE