Swiss Army knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shadowsun68

Need to contact Admin...
May 1, 2008
Tow Law, County Durham Uk
Hi all im new to this forum have been in the background and i think it is the best forum out there.
Anyway i was wondering what people think about the swisschamp as i am thinking of purchasing it as sumthing to carry around with me.
all advice will be appricated
thanks Chris

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
As to the Champ...
Personally I find it to fat for comfort and not very efficient to use.
One tool trying to do the work of many...
I prefer the Leatherman Wave - a good selection of tools that are usable and comfortable to use.
Other people will have other views - I am sure if this:D - so wait for more replies before you make up your mind!
Enjoy the site!
John

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Chris
welcome to BCUK.....

I would have to agree with John regarding the "Champ".
I do own an old one but don't use it much...

SAK015.jpg

SAK016.jpg

I do like my SAK's though and own several. One of my favourites at the moment is the Alox Farmer.....

SAK011.jpg

SAK026.jpg

The Alox models have a nice solid feel about them.

I also like the Huntsman and Camper models, nice combination of tools.....

SAK033.jpg

I guess its all down to personal choice, finding the right model for you.

Don't rule out other slip joints though, what about a nice Trevor Ablett.........

TrevorAblett005.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Chris, I'm much the same as the other guys really,
I have one but don't use it much on account of its sheer size. There are some great features though (saw blade and magnifier) and some that I don't find good at all (pliers, chisel and fish scaler). For the money, you should be able to buy two smaller SAK's which would be a much more effective arsenal and better suited to your needs.

ATB and welcome aboard

Ogri the trog

shadowsun68

Need to contact Admin...
May 1, 2008
Tow Law, County Durham Uk
Ok thanks guys could you please advice which two smaller ones would be better?? also i was looking at the travellers kit is there anyway of getting the other items without buying the swiss champ???
Thanks
chris

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep,

You talk nice to one of the leatherworkers on here and get them to make you a belt pouch to fit exactly the tools you want (or better yet, one for the knife and one for "accessories").

Topknot made me a lovely pair of pocuhes - one holds my SAK (huntsman) and the other a sharpening stone (DC4) and a firesteel etc,

Much better than all the silly bits you get in some kits. It would be easy enough to add a mini silva compass etc.

A lot of us use a "possibles pouch" (in varying sizes) to carry those essential and useful items we want on our person. I have three - the smallest is the size of a pack of cards - the largest would hold a chunky paperback book. I use the larger for longer / more intense trips and the smaller for just bimbling about.

Seany boys tool choices are the same as mine - huntsman SAK in the woods, Trevor Ablett for my normal pocket knife (and a cegga axe cos its the sign of a classy bushman :))

Red

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Personally, I think that the workchamp is too bulky to have in the pocket or the hand.

I have the Hiker model and love it (17 quid incl. P&P). With the money you save buy a book called the book of whittling, Chris Lubkeman. The book will help you turn the humble SAK into a bushmans best mate.

The farmer is also a favourite of many as it is a better and more robust quality. It does not have the small blade though which I use for whittling.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I'd agree with the others. The champion is just a bit too fat.

I've had a ranger for nearly 20 years and if I lost it I would buy another without any hesitation.:cool:
You can see them here.
http://www.swiss-army-tools.com/ranger---excellent-all-rounder-56-p.asp

It's got just about everything you would need in a nice (and legal)compact package.
It's also over a tenner cheaper

The only improvement I could think of would be the Alox scales that you find on the farmer model.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've got a Farmer too.

The Alox handled models like the Farmer and the Soldier have a markedly thicker stronger blade than the red plastic handled models (I've measured it) and I believe the springs are also stronger. Also, the alox handle will withstand heat and DEET insect repellent - the plastic handles would melt.

It is difficult to get the Farmer in the high street, but this is actually a good thing, as they are readily available from on ebay - around £18 delivered from the UK, possibly less from the US where they cost around £10 plus postage.

My only complaint about the Farmer is the lack of a Phillips screwdriver and small blade. Otherwise it is IMHO a perfect every day tool. It is of course UK legal, small, neat and non-threatening.

I have not been impressed with Victorinox leather pouches (thin leather, weak fastenings) and had one made by a saddler to fit the Farmer. It cost me more than the knife, but I think it was money well spent.

To be honest Victorinox knives represent fantastic quality for peanuts. It is only because they are so ubiquitous and cheap that people do not rave about them more. The level of precision and durability is quite remarkable.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Isn't it possible to swap tools on SAKs?
If you would prefer a small blade to a can opener it can be done.
I'd like a farmer (or similar) with a single handed opening main blade, but I'm having trouble finding somewhere that only sells the blade. Looks like I'll have to get a whole knife and swap bits from one to the other...

Mark

Stainz

Jan 18, 2008
Pinson, AL, USA
Wow, that monster should have free delivery - at that price, it should be robotic and find your home on it's own!

I have a vew Vic SAKs. By far, the best one for me on a hike - or at the grocers - nowadays is that Alox handled Farmer. It's a convenient size - with a few useful goodies, although the toothpick and tweezers are gone. Still, I've recently obtained even the huge one-handed Trekker - and the Farmer still gets more carry. I do like the Swiss Champ, however - for it's novelty - neat knife.

Stainz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE