Swiss army knife upgrade ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
I am currently going through a phase of modifying/upgrading the kit I have rather than buying new stuff.

The next thing on the list is my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife I've had for 18 years. I'd like to keep the scales the same for sentimental reasons but was hoping somebody could recommend internal mods and where top source them?

For example I've heard of people making new blades, having titanium spacers and mixing and matching from other SAK's? Anybody know anyone reputable that could do these?

Does anyone have any good experiences of sending it back to the factory for a service?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
About the only two modifications I have heard about for the blade themselves have been;

To remove the small screwdriver tip of the "can opener" to make the can opener more effective and,

Grind the small cutting blade so that it have a finer profile - again making it better at its prime function

Watching this thread with interest for more tips.....

Ogri the trog

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
The knife I have is the Victorinox Climber

sak.jpg

Think you can pick them up for £20 new, but for ridiculous sentimental reasons I'd rather spend more money on my rather worn one than get something new for less money. Perhaps you can sympathise?

Wouldn't mind replacing the corkscrew with a screwdriver Stew. Other than that I'm not sure what else is feasible I would like to replace the can opener and screw driver with a saw blade but not sure whether it'd work?

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
Thanks for the link Jared just lost an hour trawling through SAK phots.

Not time wasted, but perhaps expectations of my mod have just increased a hundred fold!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...Wouldn't mind replacing the corkscrew with a screwdriver Stew. Other than that I'm not sure what else is feasible I would like to replace the can opener and screw driver with a saw blade but not sure whether it'd work?

I've been thinking about swapping the corkscrew for a screwdriver on mine, and maybe the bottle opener for a nice little custom made striker for ferro rods. I'm not 100% certain but I think the problem you'd have with swapping the openers for a saw blade is that the saw blade is slimmer than the openers, I may be entirely wrong.

....Grind the small cutting blade so that it have a finer profile - again making it better at its prime function....

I've altered the small blade on mine to a wharncliff style blade to make it better for detail work, it's now more or less a full flat blade with a bit of convex from stropping, they can be made scary sharp!

I'll post a pic if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've been thinking about swapping the corkscrew for a screwdriver on mine, and maybe the bottle opener for a nice little custom made striker for ferro rods. I'm not 100% certain but I think the problem you'd have with swapping the openers for a saw blade is that the saw blade is slimmer than the openers, I may be entirely wrong.

I've altered the small blade on mine to a wharncliff style blade to make it better for detail work, it's now more or less a full flat blade with a bit of convex from stropping, they can be made scary sharp!

I'll post a pic if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Thickness of the saw won't really be a problem as you would b swapping out the spring too.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thickness of the saw won't really be a problem as you would b swapping out the spring too.

The awl is part of the same layer as the can/bottle openers isn't it? Wouldn't the thickness of the awl dictate the thickness of that layer? (that's how mine's put together anyway)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The awl is part of the same layer as the can/bottle openers isn't it? Wouldn't the thickness of the awl dictate the thickness of that layer? (that's how mine's put together anyway)

I was just thinking about the one side of the layer. :D in thatbcase , yes it needs considering. However, you would prob need to lose or change the rear tool to suit the front change as the springntype is essential.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What I would realy love is the SAK farmer with the fire steel in the spine, I think SwissBianco made one

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've occasionally replaced blades in other folders for people, so you could always see if anybody would do you a new better blade or even a damascus one ;) I guess you could get filework done on various parts of the knife too

btw, I'm not hinting for work on this myself. I've got enough things on my plate that will try my patience :rolleyes:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Swissbianco do do a damascus blade. I am surprised that victorinox or wegner don't do a custom build option where you can choose the tools you want, same voes with leatherman.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I am surprised that victorinox or wegner don't do a custom build option where you can choose the tools you want, same voes with leatherman.

Yeah I've thought that too, perhaps its just too much bother for such a large company? It'd be a great thing to have though.

For the OP, perhaps getting new blades made, as others have said perhaps damascus too, that'd look great! Other than that I'm not too sure..could you perhaps remove the corkscrew and replace with a mini ferro-rod holder, so once the rod has worn out it could be replaced?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE