Swedish Lap vise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A really massive improvement on this idea is to cut slots in the board, and use webbing or straps.............Instead of small holes and cordage; no real weight penalty or difficulty to make but much better holding, and easier to use with legs/feet without having to constantly reach down to sort out tangles.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Knocked this up this morning, 10" x 11.5" scrap of 12mm WBP ply, drilled, cut, sanded and given a couple of coats of Walnut oil. A little over an hour to make. It's a bit rough and ready but it works very well.
Lap Vice 017.jpg Lap Vice 018.jpg Lap Vice 019.jpg

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
It is a nice idea! I live in Sweden and I've see someone use that kind of "vise" but it is miles away from beeing common. Professional woodcarvers don't seem to use it.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Had no idea Jeff Bridges liked making spoons in the woods! :p

Interesting tool though... might be more stable with two loops, crossed over to the feet if that makes sense.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Knocked this up this morning, 10" x 11.5" scrap of 12mm WBP ply, drilled, cut, sanded and given a couple of coats of Walnut oil. A little over an hour to make. It's a bit rough and ready but it works very well.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
nice improvement I reckon

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am definitely going to give this idea a try. It'll make using a draw knife that bit safer and more accurate. Many thanks for resurrecting this - it's one of those little bits of genius!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE