Swedish canvas pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm looking for a link that somebody posted, I have been looking for ages and cannot find it!:censored: So can anyone help? It was for the canvas swedish pack with the A frame and leather straps, and it was less than a tenner. It is the same one as this one, currently on the bay for a ridiculous price!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-40-Li...goryZ588QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

There is a cheaper one on the bay, but it is in a poor state and overseas so postage will be ridiculous. I thought Surplus and Adventure had them but can't find it and they seem to have changed their site slightly.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
I'm looking for a link that somebody posted, I have been looking for ages and cannot find it!:censored: So can anyone help? It was for the canvas swedish pack with the A frame and leather straps, and it was less than a tenner. It is the same one as this one, currently on the bay for a ridiculous price!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-40-Li...goryZ588QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

There is a cheaper one on the bay, but it is in a poor state and overseas so postage will be ridiculous. I thought Surplus and Adventure had them but can't find it and they seem to have changed their site slightly.

The bag (in your link) is an old (around II WW) used in the Swedish armed forces. It comes in to versions, with and without the frame. It´s an nice "old school" backpack and it has an small inside pocket (no lid and no zipper).

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
O, I remember that one. It took a while for it to become decommisioned. But, it is as Swede says, its proper old school and literaly unbreakable :yelrotflm

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I’d say that the LK35 would be the marginally better bag for rabbiting, as the inside of the bag has a coating which would it make more easily washed (except for the base of the bag! – why is that? :confused: ). Plus, as the bag is detachable from the steel frame, it's useful for tying gathered firewood to etc (A while ago, I carried an extremely heavy section of log with mine).

That said, for £6.99, in my opinion, the leather straps alone are worth the money on the ‘old school’ one, if say, you wanted to cannibalise them for some sort of project, like making your own backpack.

And then again, with a heavy duty polythene bag inside, the ‘old school’ canvas bag would do just fine for rabbiting.

Best regards,
Paul.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I’d say that the LK35 would be the marginally better bag for rabbiting, as the inside of the bag has a coating which would it make more easily washed (except for the base of the bag! – why is that? :confused: ). Plus, as the bag is detachable from the steel frame, it's useful for tying gathered firewood to etc (A while ago, I carried an extremely heavy section of log with mine).

That said, for £6.99, in my opinion, the leather straps alone are worth the money on the ‘old school’ one, if say, you wanted to cannibalise them for some sort of project, like making your own backpack.

And then again, with a heavy duty polythene bag inside, the ‘old school’ canvas bag would do just fine for rabbiting.

Best regards,
Paul.

I've aready got the LK 35! I've got loads of bags already, I just wanted canvas to stop the noise of synthetics. My LK 35 creaks quite badly where it rubs against the frame, even though I've put tape on to stop it.

This bag is really nice in an old style way, it has loads of leather straps that just needed working a bit to make them supple and the canvas is in A1 condition. I got the bag from GAS and they delivered next day, no problems, but I did phone up before hand. There was a thread a while ago about bad service from GAS, I'm hoping that the problems they had have now been resolved, my impressions were a very well run company who did a good job.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Not sure what make it was - I asked and he even told me, but Ray Mears was using a really nice canvas rucksack on my recent Ardeche trip....:rolleyes:

something brook/creek rucksack company??

Can anyone help me here?!? :eek:

Phil

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Hi Spamel

I took the plunge with GAS yesterday... One cannot go far wrong at £6.99. Will let you know how I get on with delivery/service etc etc...

Miggers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE