Swedish canvas pack

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Spamel

Seem GAS have turned it around... Pack arrived at 10am, only ordered at lunchtime yesterday.

Result...

Pack in Very good, Gd1 condition...

Miggers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Got a new 'un! Pictures to follow, but it is similar to this one, but with pockets!

HPIM3180.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good one spam, ive been busy pimping again with the Norgi one. put a berghaus canvas pouch on the front. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I think ive got a sewing prob!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've done nothing yet other than scraping a bit of verdigris off. I like the green of your straps better than the white, but it is still a nice pack. The lid pocket is completely unscathed, it really does look like it was never issued. The tagger is in immaculate condition and says a lot about the bag, I believe the word provenance is used here by certain people!

Anyway, here you go! Stuffed with the first things I could find just to give it some shape so that you can see what it looks like with kit in. Thre only thing I've done so far is replace the horrid cordage that cinches tha bag closure up with paracord as it runs freely.

0809170001.jpg

Different markings to Addos', these are in a few places.

0809170002.jpg

0809170003.jpg

0809170004.jpg

The label.

0809170015.jpg

Things to do:

Leather is really supple to start with, gonna give it some with the Nikwax proofing wax.
Remove wierd straps on harness, used for webbing?
Make a shorter strap for the ice axe loops to secure my GB SFA.
Greenland wax the canvas.
Replace paracord with old style cotton washing line, nicer look and feel.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
That a norwegian pack then Spamel?

Will it stop you from looking for a swedish M35 ? ;)

You using original or DIY greenland wax to proof it.

Pics of frame and harness would be appreciated and finally where from and how much?

Andy

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Heres mine with an extra pouch added to the front, could'nt help meself.

Home made greenland wax to finish
You get em from Genuine army surplus
About £7

I'll post a pic of the frame tomorrow.
Need to adjust the two axe straps for a SFA and a stool or other kit. The two straps on the bottom can hold blankets, ponchos etc, and theres loops through the lid for more kit.
Big enough now for camping out with most of the usual kit inc plenty of naturels.
Good as a day sack if cooking or storing extra clothing.

Addo :)

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i hope you two realise you may have to give evidence in my divorce hearing, what excuse can i give to get another sack, i've got four as it is, but there are sooooooooooo nice

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I feel I may be in the same boat as Aragorn, its the double edges sword about BushcraftUK, great site but you risk mutating into a ravenous old school kit junkie!!! :eek:

Addo that pack looks great, how did you darken the leather? And did you melt the wax on ?

I can only see the Swedish M39 on G.A.S (another great pack, see Spamels earlier pic)

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/rowid=679

I'm going to have to think of reasons now;

"Its not for me dear its an early christmas present for you!"

"To save the planet they've banned all synthetics, and unfortunatly you'll need to undress now too, dear! :naughty: :naughty: "

"But what if my LK35 and my M39 break suddenly at the same time"

"The goblin at the bottom of the garden told me too!"

or my main hope

"I need it as you wrecked my other pack carrying your college books!"

(She did too ink stains and tears, not to mention sticky sweets mouldering inside the top pocket :yuck: and shes a 31 year old mother of 3 :rolleyes: not to worry it was an old outbound nylon one, still in tip top nick before she got her mitts on it though) .

Andy

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I know what u chaps meen about old style kit. I didn't need the M39 or this lovely replacement, or the snow smock which was a gift after already owning a BCUK Ventile, but its adictive stuff and dirt cheap. My mrs is past caring, as long as the jobs get done round the pad!

The leather was that colour when it arrived, seem like its dyed properly.
The wax was rubbed on and ironed in, a couple of layers.
Phone up Steve at GAS and ask if hes got a few left he had a few last week.

Robbo, lay on the guilt of the ink stains ect, you'll be ok!

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Quick question for Addo and Spamel.

Mine isnt here yet but would it be possible to darken the white leather on these packs?

Its kinda my only gripe (and its a small one)

Cheers

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You may not need to, you may get the one with green straps like Addo did. Failing thatm any leather dye would probably work and you could apply it with a modeeling brush to make sure you don't get it on the canvas.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Recieved mine today, hey really are similar to the swedish M39 pack arent they. Mines a bit more travelled than Spamels, colours faded a bit, but leather still nice and supple, However the frames slightly bent at the bottom, the right hand side flares out more than the left by almost 2 inches.

So...Do I bend it back, baring in mind that I have know idea how old the frame is or how it got bent in the first place and risk further damage and invalidate any refund option? OR do I ask for a refund /exchange on a Pack that only cost me £13 delivered? :rolleyes:

I suppose it wasnt unknown for Norwegain squaddies to tailor the fit of their packs by bending the frames, just if I bu**er it doing it I can't get a new one from the stores (albeit with a bo**ocking :rant: )

Regarding the faded colour anyone think I could dye the canvas in a machine wash? or cold water dye.

Andy

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
A swedish surplus store sells LK-70, LK-35, m/39 and others. Used and new.

Don't know if they'll ship to UK. But why not ask?

http://www.surplus.se/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,35/Itemid,26/

Remember that google provides good translation services! Usually...

Here is the same site, "translated" from swedish to english:

http://translate.google.com/transla...y_id,35/Itemid,26/&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&sl=sv&tl=en

Useful abreviations:

Beg. = Used
Oanv. = Unused

That store has been mentioned several times before (use the search engine). The problem has been with the shipping. It is expensive as h3ll to ship abroad from sweden. Furthermore, the long and wide frames of the 70LKs makes them go on a higher tariff than the same weight in a smaller format.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Some pics,

Next to my M39

Image023-1.jpg

On its own

Image022-1.jpg

Like I said this ones a bit more travelled than Spamels near mint specimen, canvas is faded and theres a few small holes, here and there, well not really holes yet just frayed a bit. waxing should halt that a bit, and make it a bit more robust.

Like has been said before mail order surplus is a bit of a lottery Spamel scored and I gota tired old war horse :) .

I am seriously considering a cold water dye just restore a bit of colour though waxing may darken it enough for my tastes (opinions on this please as dyeing will be a lot easier before its waxed).

Going to try and bend the frame back myself though might bend opposite side and tighten up the lumbar strap and move pack further from my back, all leather is going to be cleaned with saddle soap n waxed.

Though it looks tired I reckon is got a few years left, then I'm going to take it to bits and use it as a pattern.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE