Swedish army Trangia????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'm trying to get to grips with posting pics.. so please accept my apologies.
Here are some pics of the item in question.
looks like a Swedish cookset to me

Please note. I have to remove the pot holder/legs to enable the unit to fit properly in the windshield!
why? - they should fold down and fit under the pots for storage, and are folded up to support the pans in use ?

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
It is definitely a Swedish Army coookset, the steel version, i believe.

Are you sure that you have folded the legs in the right order? As i remember you had to fold one of the legs before the other in a specific order.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Use the things and make your own opinion about them, based on experience.

Of course there are better things out there, if your're "allowed" to compare
gear that costs 20 or even 100 (!) times more than your set.

I run mine on pure 96 % alcohol, and that beats all my gas stoves.

You will never find a better cooking set for that amount of money.

- - - - - -

There's an Swedish MoD issued fuel bottle that might be of interest.

Fuelbottle_zps11f46334.jpg

Some of these have a long pipe attached on the inside of the cork,
so you can suck back excessive fuel from the burner, saving a lot
of fuel. As soon as your're done cooking you put out the flame by
closing the lid on the burner, letting it cool down and then you can
save the remaining fuel. Just a suggestion!

Bottle (not sure it has the pipe. One has to check) £ 1.50 / SEK 15.
http://www.bbfab.se/nyheter/2001-5_jeepdunk.htm

It holds one litre of fuel and is very durable. :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well said Holme, I have tried to educate members here but they don't listen, but you are right, the army pot is very good for a fire.

Thank goodness for company, yup while all very safe and not a lot to go wrong, Trangias are SLOW, I want a cup of tea while young enough to enjoy it. They're like the energy bulbs of the cooker world, take ages to heat up, then not very well and aren't that much more efficient.
Plus the calorific value of the fluid you're carrying is quite frankly shocking when you're used to a multi fuel stove.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I´m sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.:) My bluntness might be explained by the fact that i don´t have an emotional relation to my gear. It is only a matter of function - if it doesn´t work or isnt good enough, i simply get rid of it.

BTW - how long time did it take to boil a litre of water in -20? In my experience it takes from here to eternity and sometimes it doesn´t even boil before the ethanol fuel runs out.

Of course, it can all be a matter of price, but over here i can buy a used military Optimus-set "Jägarkök" with a SVEA-burner for 50 SEK (about 4,50 pound) and that is basically as good as any Trangia 27 so i cant see much reason as to why i should carry that old army cookset with me.

THe Jagarkok is the Meta-50 I think, and another of my favourite cooksets. And at under £5, I'd buy all I could find and sell them at a huge profit in the UK!
Again, it would be horses for courses - the Meta-50 is much better in pure camping mode, the SAT better for open fire cooking/dutch oven usage/woodburner in windshield etc etc.

At -20C, I'd probably be taking a pressurised liquid-fuel stove as my main stove anyway, and you're right that - oz for oz - alcohol is less calorific than paraffin or white gas/petrol. But I've always been amazed by the number of websites that keep on about how alcohol cookers don't work in freezing conditions. They do, and do it quite well in fact, but with some basic actions. Firstly, methanol works much better than ethanol at lower temps (much cheaper too!), so look to use that as your basic fuel type if you might be venturing into sub-zero conditions. Secondly, look at insulating your burner from the ground - a silicon/carbon fibre mat, or simply some fir branches will help. Keeping the fuel and burner warm in your pocket will help with lighting. And make a wick out of tissue paper - or anything else handy - to also help with lighting in cold weather. And as said before, don't wait for burner to bloom - light it then get pans on!

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
The Jagarkok and Meta 50 are dissimilar,
Jagarkokt_jagarkok_delar.jpg

Meta 50 meta.jpg

Clas Ohlson clas o.jpg
I've never seen any of these cookers in the flesh but the CO stove looks a lot like a clone of the Jagarkok (Nordic and all that).
Happy trails...torc.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Does anyone know where i can get my hands on a Jagarkok in the uk?
When i google it the only results i get are swedish websites and bcuk threads.

Luke.

Mar 20, 2013
Heartfordshire
The swedish army trangia is a very good pices of kit. The only problem is that if you want to travel lightly it is quite heavy. I would recomend one for long trips where you might need to bring more kit that is more robust and can take a beating it is a great bit of kit, Its made to last. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE