Swedish army Trangia????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O.k. so I recently bought what was advertised as a Swedish army Trangia cookset (stainless steel), from Surplus and outdoor (I think?).
But I'm not convinced the wind shield and pans are genuine swedish, and not the Austrian version! What are the clues/difference's??
I know they do the same job. But I am a bit of a purist and collector at heart. The burner and fuel bottle are marked with three crowns. But the windshield looks as if it has been cut to accomodate the pans?
Could anyone offer any clues?
Nothing against the Austrian kit. I just want to know if I can identify this for sure, otherwise I might miss future oppurtunities to own a genuine one..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Three Crowns is fine, whilst Trangia provided some burners they were in the minority and Trangia did not build the pans/windshield. They are not a 'Trangia' set, best called a Swedish Army cookset really, real Trangia's work so much better.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Three Crowns is fine, whilst Trangia provided some burners they were in the minority and Trangia did not build the pans/windshield. They are not a 'Trangia' set, best called a Swedish Army cookset really, real Trangia's work so much better.

That´s correct. I believe the SVEA burners are more common than Trangia.

I also agree that the function of the old Army cookset is rather questionable. It is a bit surprising to read all the praising of the cook set on this and other forums. When I did my military service, we were provided with these cook sets and I still have vivid memories of how we cursed over the darned things. I would never take that with out in the woods if I had anything else to choose from, e.g. some of my ordinary Trangia stoves (I boughtthe oldest when I was 15 and now, more than thirty years later, it still works perfect.

However, I sometimes use the pot (steel version) if I shall cook over open fire.

Thanks for the info guy's.. Like I say, I'm more interested from a collectors point of view. The pan's are stainless steel and I can just about make out the words 'press....' or something like it on the inside of the pan??? Also the windshield is cut at the bottom of the slots, which is weird? Almost, it seem's like it has been done to allow the pans to sit in the windshield properly.
I know you die-hard type's would cook on anything, and that ex-service guy's think they are a bit crap. But if they are being deliberately tampered with and miss-sold as swedish, then (from a collector's point of view), this is a bit of a scam! I mean, can you imagine some guy sitting there, cutting all the windshields apart and painting over the stamp marks... just so they can make a crafty profit, selling them as something they are not!
Imagine the uproar if someone was messing around with third reich era stuff(which seells for a fortune!), and selling it as genuine! They would be run out of town!!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Do you mean this one ?

windshield looks the same as the 2 I've got here - though I'd say with the assembled set in the picture, the green pots need to slide down a bit further into the black windshield so the 'staple' that's attached to the big pot is in the bottom of the thin slot..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Military Mart are good vendors. Everything should match if you got it off them. They would have stated otherwise if it didn't. They bought up pretty much all of the remaining stock of unissued stuff on the market.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That´s correct. I believe the SVEA burners are more common than Trangia.

I also agree that the function of the old Army cookset is rather questionable. It is a bit surprising to read all the praising of the cook set on this and other forums. When I did my military service, we were provided with these cook sets and I still have vivid memories of how we cursed over the darned things. I would never take that with out in the woods if I had anything else to choose from, e.g. some of my ordinary Trangia stoves (I boughtthe oldest when I was 15 and now, more than thirty years later, it still works perfect.

However, I sometimes use the pot (steel version) if I shall cook over open fire.

Well said Holme, I have tried to educate members here but they don't listen, but you are right, the army pot is very good for a fire.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Thanks for the info guy's.. Like I say, I'm more interested from a collectors point of view. The pan's are stainless steel and I can just about make out the words 'press....' or something like it on the inside of the pan??? Also the windshield is cut at the bottom of the slots, which is weird? Almost, it seem's like it has been done to allow the pans to sit in the windshield properly.
I know you die-hard type's would cook on anything, and that ex-service guy's think they are a bit crap. But if they are being deliberately tampered with and miss-sold as swedish, then (from a collector's point of view), this is a bit of a scam! I mean, can you imagine some guy sitting there, cutting all the windshields apart and painting over the stamp marks... just so they can make a crafty profit, selling them as something they are not!
Imagine the uproar if someone was messing around with third reich era stuff(which seells for a fortune!), and selling it as genuine! They would be run out of town!!

I agree with the other writers. It would be a lot easier if we could see some pictures of your kit.

However, I´m afraid there is not much collectability in these gadgets. I mean, there are literally millions of them around, and they are not even that good to begin with. Even if You propably could drop a bomb on them and still count on their function, then again, the army cookset cannot match the civil Trangia cooksets, especially if You try to use them in the winter.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I agree with the other writers. It would be a lot easier if we could see some pictures of your kit.

However, I´m afraid there is not much collectability in these gadgets. I mean, there are literally millions of them around, and they are not even that good to begin with. Even if You propably could drop a bomb on them and still count on their function, then again, the army cookset cannot match the civil Trangia cooksets, especially if You try to use them in the winter.

How very dare you!!! I've had my SAT working very nicely at -20C, thank you very much!

However, you are right that the civvie set is a better unit for most purposes (apart from being bullet-proof of course, or using as a billy can or an oven on an open fire, or using as a woodburner when you run out of meths or just want a nice fire...) But a Trangia 25 set goes for what - 50 quid? and the SAT goes for a tenner...... THe only other set remotely in the same ball-park for value is the Clas Ohlsen civvvy trangia clone, at 9.95.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I have found my long lost brother :)

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
How very dare you!!! I've had my SAT working very nicely at -20C, thank you very much!

However, you are right that the civvie set is a better unit for most purposes (apart from being bullet-proof of course, or using as a billy can or an oven on an open fire, or using as a woodburner when you run out of meths or just want a nice fire...) But a Trangia 25 set goes for what - 50 quid? and the SAT goes for a tenner...... THe only other set remotely in the same ball-park for value is the Clas Ohlsen civvvy trangia clone, at 9.95.

I´m sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.:) My bluntness might be explained by the fact that i don´t have an emotional relation to my gear. It is only a matter of function - if it doesn´t work or isnt good enough, i simply get rid of it.

BTW - how long time did it take to boil a litre of water in -20? In my experience it takes from here to eternity and sometimes it doesn´t even boil before the ethanol fuel runs out.

Of course, it can all be a matter of price, but over here i can buy a used military Optimus-set "Jägarkök" with a SVEA-burner for 50 SEK (about 4,50 pound) and that is basically as good as any Trangia 27 so i cant see much reason as to why i should carry that old army cookset with me.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Yep, this thread shows some mods although I don't think I'd want to go quite that far:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45738&pagenumber=

Austrian (or W. German or East German) sets and are kidney shaped and have three pots. Swedish are oval and two pots, one windshield. Swedish pan has two d rings that can flip out. W German has a simpler handle than Swedish with a 90 degree bend at the bottom that hooks over the main billy pot to hold the set together and to hook into the smallest pot.

I don't think the German/Austrian stuff was made to be cooked in but for queuing at the soup kitchen for a ladle of food. I say that because the paint burned and stank on the German/Austrian stuff but not the painted Swedish. I paint-stripped mine (the quoted thread) partly for this reason.

Military Mart are not passing off Austrian as Swedish, they explain fully their option as a budget way to achieve the same thing.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE