Swedish Army Trangia Stove HELP !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 7, 2013
United Kingdom
Hiya Guys

I have been using the Hexamine stove for some time now , But I have come to conclusion that I need to get something better . I have been looking around at different options and have found that I like the look of the Swedish Army Trangia Stove . I would just like to know any input on this stove and also how to use it , Meths consumption ETC.

Thanks Matt

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Welcome to the forum :)

Yeah they're pretty good for the money...

Pro's - Cheap, very durable, you can hang the billy over the fire, the handle can be used as a mess kit/frying pan (bit small) and has D rings you can put a stick in to use it over the fire, you can use the windshield/base to burn twigs or hexamine.

Cons - Very heavy, bulky, thirsty on meths (you could always replace the meths burner with a civvy one, but that would cost you the price of the stove).

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Pretty much what he said :)

Copper head is spot on. Depends on your uses. A meths burner and stand with a windshield would be basics then any pot/mug etc you want.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very heavy, slow to get the stove to 'bloom', look on them as a set of pans to use on a fire and that has a meths burner as back up. Get a real Trangia is the best option, great setup with pans you can use over a fire as back up.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Rik doesn't like these! Must admit I do, although would go for the Alu version rather than the S/S one - the Alu one is pretty bullet-proof on its own, and it spreads the heat through the pot better than the SS one. And its cheaper. The windshield can be used on its own as a woodburner too, and the stove and lid make a decent oven - reverse the lid (open side up), and put around fire with some coals in the top for even heating! The army burner that comes with it is heavier, true, but contains more fuel, and I don't notice the difference in fuel consumption. No "simmer ring" comes with it, but you can use the civvy one - just about works - or buy the Tatonka simmer ring that works fine. Or make your own!

I think its tremendous value for money - use the lid as a cup or frying pan, the windshield as a woodstove, as an oven, and all for a tenner or so! Despite having a number of stoves, its still the one I keep in the car as backup.

One thing to note - many people say "wait for the burner to "bloom" before putting the pan on". Rubbish! Put the pan on as soon as the burner is alight - that way you use all the heat from the initial burn, and the pan above it speeds up blooming through radiant heat back off the bottom.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Go like a blast furnace after a few minutes. Never needed a second burn. Heavy duty. Have a real military vibe to them. Love them.

Available in stainless or ali. I chose the stainless because I just liked it better.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Was gonna sell mine... then saw sense. .. they are top bits of kit if you can find one with the kuksa and fuel bottle.. even better!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its not that I don't like them as such, I don't like their performance which is worse than a real Trangia and I've tested both in warm and cold weather, the real Trangia performs better. I've got an aluminium and stainless steel version of them but I'd never consider taking one on a trip. I honestly believe a large part of the attraction of the Swedish army sets is it has a better 'bushcraft' image and as we all know for many image and or label rule over functionality at times (I'm sad to say).

One good thing about them is that back in 2006 I was getting boxes of five for $25 delivered surface mail from the states and made a nice few quid selling them :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I agree that the "civvie" trangia - 25 and 27 - are better "pure" cookers. But they are also flimsier and not as versatile as the Army version (try using one as a woodburner, or the pan on an open fire!) .... and of course, more expensive! True, the Cas Ohlsen clones are excellent value as well - and the Meta 50 for that matter. But neither would survive in the back of my car, whereas the Army version is bullet-proof!

Dec 16, 2007
I love mine and will never get rid of it (SS) version. Just changed the burner for a civi one as the one that came with it was rooted.
You will not regret getting one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree that the "civvie" trangia - 25 and 27 - are better "pure" cookers. But they are also flimsier and not as versatile as the Army version (try using one as a woodburner, or the pan on an open fire!) .... and of course, more expensive! True, the Cas Ohlsen clones are excellent value as well - and the Meta 50 for that matter. But neither would survive in the back of my car, whereas the Army version is bullet-proof!

Ain't melted a Trangia pan on a fire yet :)

rg598

Native

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Bit of a bitch to light if freezing. Can be better to carry the burner in an inside pocket close to your body in these conditions.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I heard this too Ronnie, but had very little problem at-15 in Norway.
However, takes too long and uses too much fuel to process snow for water on its own imho.
Interesting bits of kit and very well made.
I was talking to Kev Endicott about these last week and as he pointed out, we take the fact that there are good or un-issued ones
Around, but the supply is pretty much drying up!
Get one while you can I say ( if the price is right. )

Best.

Cat.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Seems that I must be in the minority where these are concerned! I had one, took two full fills of meths to boil one pot of water! So glad I was persuaded to try a proper Trangia before giving up on meths, and this is now my stove of choice :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
A propper Trangia is better eel, no argument imho
The Military is interesting, well made, and a great ( cheap addition if, like me, you have and interest ( historical ) in kit that works!
For me it is a bit of ( adopted ) bushcraft history.

C.

Love them, would never be without one, have used them from minus 18 to plus 30 and never had a problem. I find if you replace the burner with a large coke can burner you will get a faster burn time, though for cooking sausages the heat from the army burner is perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE