Sweden/Finland/Norway recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any destinations in Sweden, Norway or Finland where we could take the kids for a winter holiday. Looking for cabins/resorts that are catered and have winter activities. Booking via a UK operator seems to cost the earth so I was wondering if any of our northern friends on here might be able to give some inside knowledge on where we could look direct.

thanks

Barry

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Åre and Sälen in Sweden are nice. The pistes are not too crazy, everything from advanced skiing to beginners level.
Also very nice crosscountry skiing, and plenty of other winter activities like toboggan, skating on the lake ( deprnds on the snow thickness) , same experience with reindeer and so on.

The cabins are self catered. Usually very well equipped. You can rent cabins, apartements or stay in a hotel.
Good restaurants.
You can also practice a bit of winter camping if you want.......

Fairly cheap flights UK to Östersund (closest aurport) then bus.

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
What is your budget? What is your preferred month to travel? Do you mind occasional days with temperatures down to -40°C/F? Does everything have to be guided activity? Do you mind mass tourism?

Jan 29, 2017
US
I've lived in Alaska before, how are the humidity levels there in Finland? Have heard great things about traveling there. Also, how are the summers?

I say so being now living in southeastern NC, the air feels like you have your head in an oven during the summer due to the humidity levels, and when 20F here in the winter, it feels how -20F felt in Alaska, being Alaska had next to a 0 zero level of humidity.

The snow did not even stick (hated the fact you couldn't make snowballs being it wasnt wet enough to stick, I was a kid at the time), all we had was snow turned to "ice balls"...... OUCH!

Anyway, my wife and I were talking about how laid back and peaceful we have heard it is, particularly, in the 3 countries you named (add Holland and Sweden, she is half swedish.)

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I've lived in Alaska before, how are the humidity levels there in Finland? Have heard great things about traveling there. Also, how are the summers?

According to the statistics for the normal period 1981–2010, the average relatively humidity for the winter months ranges from 80 to 90 % and from 60 to 70 % during the summer months in Finland. The climate of Southern Finland is quite similar to that of around Anchorage or Northern Quebec, i.e. -10 to -20°C during the winter months and +15 to +25°C during the summer. The Northern Finland is similar to e.g. Alaska Interior or Yukon.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Martti, how is the Finnish price level compared to the Swedish? Food, piste fees.

When I visited Åre the last time, food ( supermarket and restaurants) was a bit more expensive than Stockholm.

Jan 29, 2017
US
According to the statistics for the normal period 1981–2010, the average relatively humidity for the winter months ranges from 80 to 90 % and from 60 to 70 % during the summer months in Finland. The climate of Southern Finland is quite similar to that of around Anchorage or Northern Quebec, i.e. -10 to -20°C during the winter months and +15 to +25°C during the summer. The Northern Finland is similar to e.g. Alaska Interior or Yukon.

Thanks for the info man!

Sounds nice over there!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Martti, how is the Finnish price level compared to the Swedish? Food, piste fees.

Finland has around 10 % lower food prices than the rest of the Nordics, but much higher prices for alcohol and tobacco products. Ski passes for the whole day cost 38-39 € in the largest resorts in the Northern Finland. I can see from their web site that passes cost 45 € per day in Åre.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Finland has around 10 % lower food prices than the rest of the Nordics, but much higher prices for alcohol and tobacco products. Ski passes for the whole day cost 38-39 € in the largest resorts in the Northern Finland. I can see from their web site that passes cost 45 € per day in Åre.

Thank you. I thought s rough price indication can be interesting for the OP, to help him in his decision!

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
Just back from Saariselka Finland. Great resort with a variety of accommodation at different prices, good supermarket if you are self catering, down hill and cross-country skiing and many marked trails out into the forest and onto the fells.

You can fly into Ivalo about 20 km north then a bus meets the plane for transport to the town (bus is 10 euro)

We did snow shoeing, hiking, hired cross-country skis (20 euro a day) and there are day huts with stoves to rest and further out overnight cabins for multi-day treks. We were also lucky to see the norther lights, saw reindeer beside the road en-route from airport and a fox passed by our cabin early one morning.

Supermarket prices were same as UK smaller shops and there are a couple of hire places for skis, snow shoes, snow mobiles, fat bikes etc. There is also a great sports shop so you could arrive naked and get kitted out!

32919809185_1ddca0b853_k.jpg

32919810495_f7b6e9e0f7_k.jpg

32796052341_d564b8e3c8_k.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE