swc knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

bushtuckerman said:
OK now it makes more sense, i hadn't though about corrosive effects i must admit. Why isn't ash used more for knife handles? it's used a lot on other workshop tool handles. and beech? with the choice i'd probably have a birch handle. i haven't used boxwood, it sounds interesting, am i right in thinking it grows lots of relatively thin limbs? striped ebony is a very nice wood, but i wouldn't buy it myself, it's not really justifiable for me. how do you guys rate yew as a knife handle wood? there was a thread on bb about ben orford's knife which was done in yew, and there were comments about the durability, and it's use as a kitchen knife (given the whole poisonous berries thing...)? i personally very much like the way it looks but would think twice. doesn't the woodlore have sycamore scales? i think its scales are pretty good either way.

ian

Woodlores use Maple scales, the knives that I have seen that have Yew handles look very nice, the point about the poisonous effects of the wood have been debated quite a lot. An easy way out would be to have the yew stabilised and then you get a lovely grain and very little chance (if the wood has seasoned for a long time) with it basically being encased in resin of any ill effects.

Ash is a nice wood and I have seen it used, but not very frequently, I don't honestly know why and the only time that I have seen beech used is for rifle stocks where it is normally outclassed by Walnut.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
thanks for that. yeah i rememeber now birds eye maple! i'm always getting them mixed up because of the leaves.

stabilising wood is an interesting idea, i think despite its benefits i'd still go for surface treated wood. the only problem i have had with ash is from dense bole wood which is hard to get smooth (maybe because of the prominant winter growth grain). i guess beech is quite a plain looking wood, but it's very reliable.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
bushtuckerman said:
thanks for that. yeah i rememeber now birds eye maple! i'm always getting them mixed up because of the leaves.

stabilising wood is an interesting idea, i think despite its benefits i'd still go for surface treated wood. the only problem i have had with ash is from dense bole wood which is hard to get smooth (maybe because of the prominant winter growth grain). i guess beech is quite a plain looking wood, but it's very reliable.

I have some spalted beech which I have put to one side. It was off a friends wood pile! It is very hard and stable and the spalt is a variety of blacks and browns that runs alot more with the grain than I have seen in other spalts. It looks a bit like zebrano but eve better! I'll post a picture when it meets some steel!

Ben

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Also, have you considered fruitwood? I have seen apple used to wonderful effect. Its pretty hard and stable. I got my hands on some and that's what I'm hoping to use on the SWC knife.

Does anyone have a contact number for SWC?

I emailed a while ago and got no reply... seems they are pretty tricky to get a hold of! If anyone has a phone number please could they PM it to me?

Thanks... Ben

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
halo said:
has anyone bought one of swc's kit's?

been thinking of getting one and putting my ws micarta woodlore away for safe keeping now there not made anymore...

cheer's all
halo

Hello halo,

I think it's a good idea to put away that WS. I'm rather new to the world of blades, and as a result I've missed out on an opporuntity to buy a WS Woodlore.

I can hightly recommend a SWC kit, and Steve is a very helpful and pleasant person to do business with. If my memory serves me (And it may not), something that is not mentioned on his site is that he can provide you a blade made from 3mm, 4mm and 5mm steel. I went for the 5mm option, and I'm delighted with it. A very strong blade.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
billycan said:
...i'm after another one, actually just a blade blank if you know where i can get one?

Hello billycan,

It might be worth while asking Steve if he can provide you with just the blade. If he can't then I suggest a blade from Shing. He will provide you with just the blade (With grind and heat treated) for £45 (EN42 steel).

http://www.shingcrafts.co.uk/

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Shing said:
Native boxwood makes a very good handle, very hard close grained wood, a pale yellow colour and used to be used a lot for knives and good quality wood working tools. Sycamore and ash would be good too...

Hello Shing,

Any thoughts on Yew wood? I have recently bought a small consignment of Yew logs with the idea of using English wood for English blades. I particulary like the grain of Yew, and as it turned out, I was able to locate a good quality of Yew.

By the way, I have admired your knives for some while, and particularly like the aesthetic restraint in your designs, very close to my own aesthetic philosophy. Your designs are how I imagine a contemporary architect would design knives.

Hopefully, I will be buying one of your kits in the not too distant future (My finances are currently taking something of a hammering due to a Fällkniven spending spree :)).

Best regards,
Paul.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
TheGreenMan said:
Hello Shing,

Any thoughts on Yew wood? I have recently bought a small consignment of Yew logs with the idea of using English wood for English blades. I particulary like the grain of Yew, and as it turned out, I was able to locate a good quality of Yew.

By the way, I have admired your knives for some while, and particularly like the aesthetic restraint in your designs, very close to my own aesthetic philosophy. Your designs are how I imagine a contemporary architect would design knives.

Hopefully, I will be buying one of your kits in the not too distant future (My finances are currently taking something of a hammering due to a Fällkniven spending spree :)).

Best regards,
Paul.

A consignment eh? If you come to slice it all up and have a little too much I'd happily take a little yew off your hands if it was going spare!

I'll keep on trying SWC. I've also emailed Ben Orford to ask if he'll do a woodlander blade too.

Ben

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
eraaij said:
I can recommend the blanks from Steve Wade as well...

-Emile

Hello eraaij,

I've just Googled for "Steve Wade" and could only find a "Steve Wade Cox", which if I'm not mistaken is SWC :) I had no idea that "Wade" was Steve's middle name. Thank you. I learn something everyday!

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
trauma said:
i also emailed a while back and have had no replies - anyone else having this prob?

Hello trauma,

No need to worry, I think any delay is due to the fact that Steve is very busy producing blades and knives. I have had to wait for a while for replies to my emails, but I've always had Steve get back to me. I've found him to be a very nice guy, and always very helpful.

Don't panic :)

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
benjamin.oneill said:
A consignment eh? If you come to slice it all up and have a little too much I'd happily take a little yew off your hands if it was going spare!...

Ben

Hello Ben,

I have four small logs, each averages at around 18cm x 11cm, I would gladly let you have one for £5 + postage, or, we could swap for a piece of spalted Beech. Alternatively, you could order some direct from Okenden timber. Very reasonable prices:

http://www.ockendentimber.co.uk/

Best regards,
Paul.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Shing said:
Native boxwood makes a very good handle, very hard close grained wood, a pale yellow colour and used to be used a lot for knives and good quality wood working tools. Sycamore and ash would be good too.

Shing, how readily available is it at the moment, say for a knife handle? I am quite interested in it, i'm just wondering about the colour, how yellow is the native species? I know it's fussy but I'd quite like a naturally white handle complementing silver rivets and blade :cool:

cheers
ian

I just found htis picture of a boxwood clarinet and it's absolutely gorgeous wood, and makes me want to take it up again and buy one!:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.uark.edu/ua/nc/ClarinetCollections/
CharlesPourchot_Clarinets/BuffetBoxwood/DSCF0039.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.uark.edu/
ua/nc/NCCollectionPage/Page/
Buffet%2520Boxwood.htm&h=410&w=295&sz=111&tbnid=0sGpp7cXXlGRIM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=87&hl=en&start=326&prev=/
images%3Fq%3Dboxwood%26start%3D320%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial_s%26sa%3DN

I'm afraid it's a ridiculously long URL so i've chopped it up a bit, each row just needs pasting one after the other!

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire

This is a knife with a boxwood handle I made several years ago. Its French boxwood, I believe English boxwood is paler. Boxwood is available but the really good grades are expensive

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE