Swc bushcraft knife

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought the knife from Mandapanda and it arrived spent the day doing a necker sheath for it. First leather work I've done in an age. Here's a question burnishing the edges, any tips? I've never got satisfactory ones yet. Would a Dremel help or make it easier?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Using saliva really helps, I believe it's got something to do with enzymes. Pretty much anything smooth works as a burnishing tool.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Spit and brown paper mate :) Make sure all the edges are level first. Sandpaper, or the dremel you have should do it if it needs it. Rub in one direction only for best results.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Well tomorrow we'll mostly be spitting then. Cheers guys thank you, I'll post pics tomorrow if I get it finished.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have used spit, but prefer gum trag. I also use a bone folder and or a burnishing tool - they are worth their weight.

I know of people who use empty rifle brass to great effect. Get it hot and smooth, lots of vigorous arm movement. It's the reason I have tennis elbow, not the reason my pupils tell me.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I sanded the edges down then applied considerable amount of spit and smoothed it off. I think the sanding down was of great help as I've never done it before and have never had such smooth edges. I then dyed it and left it to dry for a few hours. I decided to go with beeswax, I bought 3 large blocks of someone on here years ago and have never used them so tonight they had a use along with a bit of canvas. To me they look great, the edges, I've now got something to go for and may go back over a few other projects I've done in the past. I carnuba'd the rest and here it is.

IMG_1300.jpgIMG_1301.jpgIMG_1302.jpg

I think a slightly thicker leather would have held it's shape better but it's still a bit wet so we'll see how it dries out. The stitching I'm not completely happy with, my normal method failed me a bit but it's fine. I just need to put a lanyard on the knife itself and we're off. Next stop RM outdoor survival handbook, bring on the snow.

Oh and big up to Sandbender's post from 2009 which clarified how to do the paracord wrap.

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Nice work:)

Just a word of warning DON'T leave your knife in the sheath if it's not totally dry it's the quickest way to ruin your carbon blade, it will rust:yikes:

Richard

Fear not I've taken it out. I had the same thought and it's hanging in my study whilst the knife is in the original sheath. I did it one time with a S/S knife and whilst it didn't rust it left little brown spots on the blade that have never shifted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE