Swanndri Ranger Extreme Sizing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Have been umming and arring for a while about getting myself one of these wee beasties. Has anyone got any experience of them? I've read a few bits on here and they all seem quite positive (bar them being a little too warm).

I'm more interested in the sizing issue, I usually take a XXL but have thought that the shirt would probably be used going over something else as an insulation layer for the evenings or just kicking back? Would I need a XXXL for that? (God, all those X's make me depressed - someone pass the choccy hobnobs!!! :))

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have several ranger extreme shirts they are good bits of kit very hard wearing.

As for sizing they are sized to be big as they are designed to go over clothing. For example I am a Medium but my shirts are all Small and that is just about right for me as I wear a base layer and microfleece top under mine if its cold in the winter and just a t-shirt in the summer!

If you go on the swanndri website and look at the sizing guide there; it tells you to go for your normal size if you are going to wear jumpers under it but go for a size smaller if you are going to wear it as a mid layer.

I have one too, but personally, I can't get on with it. Something about the fit, and the design of the neck / collar just doesn't agree with me. I have a couple of other Swannies that I really love, e.g.... http://www.swanndri.co.nz/default.aspx?T=9&P=189 which is amazingly warm, and a good old button up shirt, but the zip up neck + collar arrangement of the ranger is just not "happening" for me somehow. I know the ranger extremes have lots of fans and each to their own etc.
On sizing, yes they are quite large.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Thanks very much chaps and chappets, I managed to snipe one on ebay last night for a meagre £29.99. And what is even better is my OH has said she'll get if for me as an engagement present so happy days!!!

But would the waterproof lining shrink too, do you think? Possibly not?

I'd be surprised if the lining shrunk, but of the folk I know who wear them and who have washed them, some have said that the wool does indeed shrink. But by no means is this every one so I think it may have more to do with the type of wash, but it is fair to say there is a possibility of it happening. I always er on the side of caution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE