Swanndri hooded bush shirt question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I am wanting some advice from the experienced members here.

I am going to buy myself a hooded bush shirt but I'm unsure about which size to get.
I'm a 40" chest/36" waist and already own a ranger extreme which is a size Small. I wear it with just a t-shirt or base layer underneath and it fits me just fine.

I'm looking at the Swanndri website according to their sizing guide i should get a large hooded bush shirt; as i know the sizing is generous would i be better with a medium?

I don't intend to wear millions of layers underneath prob just (base layer/jumper) or (base layer/ranger extreme) combinations.

Any first hand experience would be very welcome.

N

Nomad

I'm a 41" chest, 44" belly, and a medium is a nice fit on me with baselayer and cotton shirt underneath. Pit to Pit, the medium Bush Shirt was only about 2cm smaller than the large Ranger (which also fits me fine). 60cm pit to pit on the Bush Shirt. Better fabric than the Ranger, I think, as well - more wind resistant, and drapes better (proper 'prairie scruff' look).

Very good deal at the moment from Bushwear if they have your size...

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/styles.php?ProductID=101102&ClassID=312

They're more of a stalking/shooting shop, and I don't think these have sold very well for them, so they're unloading the stock, apparently.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you want to try a medium on Mike you're welcome to call round to mine in Morley if it helps

It's brand new a couple of weeks ago from Bushwear, getting it's first outing next weekend

N

Nomad

It's brand new a couple of weeks ago from Bushwear, getting it's first outing next weekend

Got mine the weekend just after you got yours (went to the shop and tried them on). Been out with it twice so far, and I'm warming to it rapidly. Managed to survive the local shopping centre yesterday without getting funny looks. Acid test is walking into the office with it (funny looks and wisecracks guaranteed).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I wear a Swanndri bush in xl which fits my 42” Chest and 34" Waist with room for a Bison shirt or Woolpower 600 and 200 gram top beneath.

I hope this helps.

swannie-001.jpg

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Thanks to rich i have now taken the plunge and ordered a bush shirt from bushwear, and while i was on there i noticed the ranger shirts were very reasonably priced so that ended up in the basket as well.
I rang them to ask a few questions about the order and the guy i spoke to indicated there are plans afoot to increase the swanndri stock colour choice as at the moment its just olive green in stock.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I might be wading into this a bit late, but I reckon going a bit bigger is best. I am 5'9" 42 chest and 34 waist and have had a medium Swani bush shirt, but have replaced it with a large. Much easier to get on and off, especially over thicker layers. You look more of a medieval archer or Tolkien extra with the looser fit, but those things will never be fashionable most places. (Apart from where I live... Any trip to the supermarket here in winter and you will see at least one bushirt being worn...no kidding!)

N

Nomad

I'm looking at the bushwear.co.uk Stoney Creek bush shirt right now and trying to resist it....

It's not wool, but fleece, so a potential spark hole collector. Other than that, it looks pretty good, especially if it's good good resistance to wind.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yes I know it's not wool, but it is a very good price for general cold weather outdoor mooching.

The way this winter is dragging on it could get a lot of wear...

Sqwheezle

May 7, 2011
Darzitt
After a long search I came across your reply and you have pretty much made my mind up for me about what I will be wearing this winter. I might as well go the whole hog and ask about your preferred trousers and footwear. Fireproof is really important and I have been struggling to find appropriate gear. The Swanndri is a giant leap in the right direction. Thanks
I wear a Swanndri bush in xl which fits my 42” Chest and 34" Waist with room for a Bison shirt or Woolpower 600 and 200 gram top beneath.

I hope this helps.

swannie-001.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE