swanndri bush shirt advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
hi all
im not sure weather or not to get one iv had a ranger for years and love it but cant tell from pics if a bush shirt would be a bit bulky.
has anyone got any advise or any pics of one being worn
thanks alot ash

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The over the head one with a hood and laced neck? Rarely wear mine. Hard to get on and off, heavy, hood doesn't do up, no hand warmer pockets. I keep telling myself it would great for winter field archery but haven't tried it yet. Have worn it around the fire at night and it's great for that - spark proof and really warm. There are lots of other great jackets I would buy first. What about a Filson Yukon for example? Much more versatile.

I am sure others will have different views.

NS

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
yes mate that is the one,iv always liked the look of them but cant find pics of one being worn, those filson shirts look good and get good reviews but seem quite expensive
cheers ash

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Where mine a lot when its cold, warm and comfy, couldn't give a hoot what I look like when I'm warm And dry. It is no harder to put on or take off than a jumper? Very hard wearing and quiet.

Vibrant

Jan 10, 2009
Australia
I've had one for years (made in nz) and I wear it all the time for fishing. Rock solid bit of gear. Warm as toast and keeps you pretty dry. Depends what youre going to use it for I guess: handwarmers would be nice and they are reasonably bulky kit, but I'd never part with mine. Proper mens clothes they are.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...but cant find pics of one being worn..."

Here is a picture...
swanndri_crop.jpg

It is true, you can look a bit 'hobbit-like' when wearing one, however worn with a wool power 200 gm top and something like a Swanndri Ranger or Bison wool shirt under it it'll keep you very warm, in fact its good enough to double as your sleeping bag if your on 'minimal' gear trip. :)

It also rolls in to a nice compact cylinder shape which you can keep odds and ends in and carry like a bedroll for more energetic tasks.

:)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a Mosgiel (sp?) zipped version. More "coat like" - easy to get on and off, pretty much a light duffel coat in use. I hate "over the head" outer layers so it works for me.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I've also got the zip up version as I get quite warm when walking and an over head gets too hot for me. Excellent coat for stalking rabbits as they are totally silent and don't rustle or 'swish' as Gortex and other fabrics. I'd recommend them the only advice is think how much ventilation you like whether to go zip or over head.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I like the original. Very hardwearing and warm. Very practical. Wool feels a little denser than the Ranger.

Warning: *may attract stares*

www.Trademe.co.nz normally has a few on the cheap.

Hand Soak it with a little unperfumed johnsons baby oil now and again for added water resistance.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Worth noting the Mosgiel does have hand warmer pockets

I originally purchased a zipped mosgiel but foolishly sized it for myself wearing only a shirt, when I replaced it with a larger one I chose to go with the unzipped traditional swannie because I preferred the simplicity of the original design. True, hand warming pockets would be nice, maybe I will add some leather trimmed ones one day and it is also true that having to pull the garment over your head can be a pain (especially in a leaf shelter). :D

The mosgiel zipped swannie also features a removable hood.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thanks for the all the help and thanks for the pic sandbender you look pretty cool in yours mate,like one of robin hoods men.
not sure what size to go for my ranger is a small and fits perfect but only room for a base layer underneath,bush shirts are suppose to be larger though?
cheers ash

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...thanks for the pic sandbender you look pretty cool in yours mate,like one of robin hoods men.
not sure what size to go for my ranger is a small and fits perfect but only room for a base layer underneath,bush shirts are suppose to be larger though?..."

There is safety in numbers, the more people around you wearing a swannie, the less strange you will look. :)

swanndri_02.jpg

As for sizing, the bush shirt is generously cut, so in my case an extra-large bush shirt will fit easily over a large ranger shirt with room to spare.

I hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That guy on the left is colour co-ordinating......Purple Lace with Purple Sweater.

[And whats it got in its pockets'es precious?]

And whoever took those photos needs lessons. He's chopped your head off in every one.....:D

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That guy on the left is colour co-ordinating......Purple Lace with Purple Sweater.

I never noticed that! It's James Bath the current head instructor at Woodlore, perhaps they are working on a new course? Fashion coordination in the woods? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE