swanndri bush shirt advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I have the Mosgiel (zip up) too and love it. Warm and silent. Can be used to cover sleeping bag/gore tex bivvy when next to fire. Just need to carry a poncho to make waterproof but I like that as it packs small and doubles as shelter and water collector etc.

keith2616

Dec 16, 2009
Scotland
I'm on the... wide side, and when I first wore my XXL bush shirt, it came down to my knees, which was longer than I needed so I got
someobody to take a few inches off, and make a 2nd chest pocket and shoulder patches w/ the spare material. I still get "Friar Tuck"
comments from time to time, but that's what I get for wearing it in a city I suppose... I also have one of those lined Ranger shirts, which
is about as warm as the bush-shirt, despite the looser wave, and easier to get on/off, but way noisier to walk about in... I'd advise if you're
buying any Swanndri stuff unseen to ask for actual measurements of the garment because they seem to have changed their sizing fairly
recently and the old "made in NZ" ones seem to use a different scale. My new XXL bush shirt fits about the same as my Ranger extreme
shirt in XXXL, but I also bought an old a button-up Swanndri wool shirt (sort of a ranger with buttons) and it's XXXL but I would say it's
a good size smaller than my newer XXXL ranger extreme.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Look at "Longhunter.com" They have a good selection of these shirts. They're unhooded though; a capelike hood is sold seperately. They make quite a lot of clothing and gear from the pioneering period (especially the longhunter years , as the name implies). The owners are bowhunters and spend a great deal of time in the mountains in winter. The great thing about wool is a tight weave is almost waterproof and in any case wool doesn't get much colder even wet. Also try "Pendleton.com" and "woolrich wool shirts" on your search bar if you want more modern button front shirts. Pendleton and Woolrich are a bit expensive though. The longhunter shirts run fro about $65 each plus postage and will wear for years on end. So will the Pendleton but they're a much thinner wool and run from about $85. Woolrich makes a thich wool button front shirt called the "Alaskan". For a UK source try Filkins Woolen Mills. They make most things in batch runs so there may be shirts and there may not be. They can make anything to order though; or at least they could way back in the day when I lived there. They're online also.

Last edited:

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Picture102.jpg

Not sure if this'll come out - if it does I might put some others up...

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Well the pic's seem to work...
Picture107.jpg

One thing to note - these animals were hunted for their meat, and venison forms a significant part of my familily's diet.
These are swannies doing what they were designed for. They are great shirts, hardwearing too. I have been out in the bush, ripped the bum out of my shorts, sleeve off my shirt - but swannie intact.
I have a blue/blck checked Mosgiel - zipped bush shirt - and it's good too. You can feel wind through the zip, so it's not quite as weather proof.
Yes, fleece is probably more popular in NZ - but it is cheaper. You can pick up a whole Ridgeline outfit for a hundred bucks - but it won't last as long as a swannie.
If you have any questions post it up here

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
+1 for the great pics. put some more hunting pics up!
how did you kill the beasts? can't see any weapons in you pics. please tell me you did it with your bare hands;)

edit: just noticed your username. did you use dogs?

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Thanks for the comments!
Firstly, I haven't really answered the original comment about bulk. - The Bush Shirt is a larger, longer garment, made out of heavier, denser wool - so inevitably is is bulkier than a Ranger. But it is not stiff or cumbersome - it is a top you can work, climb, hunt and if necessary run in - it gives unrestrited movement. To make sure you can do this, the fit across the shoulder is important.
As far as fit goes, I hover between large and medium - the swannie in the pics is a medium, and I can get a fleece shirt and a merino singlet underneath, but it feels a bit snug then. (Also depends on pie consumption.)
My Mosgiel is a Large - I can wear a shirt, jumper and still have loads of room to move my arms. I tend to wear this one walking the dog, nipping down to the supermarket, working in the garden etc. The zip makes it an every day top, and in the words of the Creature Comfort animals "It's easily on and offable"
I actually bought another Bush Shirt (again in green!) in Large a few months ago, to give some flexibility for extra layers if I wear it hunting - and the new one is

"Assembled in China to Swanndri NZ standards."

So - my verdict? Seems the same, near as dammit. My older one has a fluffier, more felted feel, but that I am sure is down to the fact it has been washed on hot each time I have carried an animal out. Probably shrunk it a little too. (I ruined a Ranger like that once, but the bush shirts stand up to shrinkage better I reckon.)
Is it the same quality? I'd say yes, it is. I don't think Swanndri could gamble on anything else. (As an aside, my brother works in the clothing industry, for a very well known British brand - their stuff is made in China - says so on the label - and he sys as long as you specify the standards, that's what you get.)
I wouldn't hesitate recommending them.

How to wear one: in NZ, with short shorts - rugby shorts or similar, giving you that medieval look! Seriously, I could go to the supermarket like that, and No One would give you a second glance!

As far as hunting goes, the pig was caught with dogs. And killed with a knife by the farmer I was with, which is the way it's normally done here. Rifles are often carried pig hunting, but you have to exercise caution with dogs about, making sure they are safe, and not in the way of a shot, and increasingly, people are more aware of the effect a shot can have on a dog's hearing. It's pretty much the only way to get them, as they usually disappear in bush. Hunting with dogs seems quite violent to some, particularly after the ban in UK, but pig hunting with dogs can even be seen on prime time programmes on a Saturday evening in NZ! I have seen them in the open twice - once I had no rifle, the other time they were just across a boundary, and so I didn't shoot...
Here's anothe pic
Picture098-1.jpg

This one shows the terrain on another hunt (The picture is a bit poorly posed, those self timers are tricky!) - - I'm wearing a Swazi bush shirt - basically a fleece version of Swanndri's Ranger in this one - Ridgeline fleece shirt, merino singlet, and shorts. Shorts are popular, because the are better for climbing (don't rub your legs so much) and river crossings. Rifle Tikka T3 Lite in 308, knife and sheath/steel by Victory, NZ. Belt pouch bt Stoney Creek NZ.

Harrycupboard015.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had one modified... the lower 12" of the shirt were cut off and a draw-cord added down there and the fabric removed was used to make a huge pocket in the front... worked an absolute treat!

Here's a god-awful photo of me wearing it (I don't usually stand like this, it was a group photo!):

tribe%202007%20Photo.JPG

Last edited:

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i'm thinking of shortening my bush shirt too, maybe using the off cut for a kangaroo style pocket, dunno if it's wrong to alter a classic, plus there's no going back.

in the past i was very into working lurchers, i have spent hours watching working dogs in nz, looks awesome sport. I am so jealous bt!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Wore mine yesterday for a field archery round - superb garment and very warm and tough, although the flap on the left breast pocket interfered slightly with my draw, which is a problem I hadn't foreseen.

NS

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
yes mate that is the one,iv always liked the look of them but cant find pics of one being worn, those filson shirts look good and get good reviews but seem quite expensive
cheers ash

I can vouch for filson , I have a filson wool jac shirt, Its great for a whole range of situations

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE