Sussex Bushcraft group meet for MAY: 25th to 27th

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Say what? I'm not sure I've met anyone who doesn't like venison.

We are bushcrafters and open to most things but I still know 'schrafters who have only ever had the bright pink stuff claiming to be meat that is wrapped in plastic and sold by the supermarkets. Some of those people will not like meat that, looks as it should, smells as it should and tastes of something. Venison has a strong taste and is a drier meat than many are accustomed to. It wasn't a criticism of anyone, I was attempting to ensure that all of the meat eaters actually enjoyed any communal meal instead of eating a meat for the first time only to discover it wasn't to their taste.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
We are bushcrafters and open to most things but I still know 'schrafters who have only ever had the bright pink stuff claiming to be meat that is wrapped in plastic and sold by the supermarkets. Some of those people will not like meat that, looks as it should, smells as it should and tastes of something. Venison has a strong taste and is a drier meat than many are accustomed to. It wasn't a criticism of anyone, I was attempting to ensure that all of the meat eaters actually enjoyed any communal meal instead of eating a meat for the first time only to discover it wasn't to their taste.

Oh good job, I just haven't come accross it, and I'm a bigger wuss than most when it comes to things that "taste of something".

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'll bring some fresh shot Wood Pigeon to the June meet Swallow, you welcome to try some of that as well if you want?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Had pigeon for the first time last week. Bought 6 breasts at the market and had to eat them all! Very pleasant it was too... :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Depending on circumstances, I might be able to russell up a lamb if my mother-in-law has any ready at the right time. Normally they are butchered down, so if we wanted it unbutchered I'd have to request it. We don't have refrigeration facilities to hold stock, so it is very much a case of when she's got them ready to go, she then lines up customers and it is then pick it up once it's back from the butchers ( normally a Friday). But it is all down to timing with that I'm afraid.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Actually I would love to see, and have a go at, drawing some game. I have skinned a rabbit once, but haven't done it for a few years now. I guess at some point I should really do my own hunting to get the practice, just can't bring myself to do that yet just for the skills.

God I'm such a southern softy. I whole heartily believe if I needed it for food I could, and I'm comfortable to despatching injured animals, just not hunting for hunting sake.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Catch 22 really, i want the skills for when I need them, but can't bring myself to practice.

Stupid thing is, we had a shoot on the land next to the farm and they use to drop a brace or two off for my mother-in-law. Sadly the owner past away before I got to this stage in bushcraft.

Also I quite like the taste of squirrell, but don't like snares. Would rather use an air rifle, but can't on our land because of the footpath running through it.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Not long to go now, Don't forget your chairs guys, I did last time and three days without a proper chair is somewhat uncomfortable.
Think I'll pack early this time, seems I always forget a few things, never food mind.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Not long to go now, Don't forget your chairs guys, I did last time and three days without a proper chair is somewhat uncomfortable.
Think I'll pack early this time, seems I always forget a few things, never food mind.

I cant wait been lookig forward to it..... I am seeing the othert two suffolk guys on friday for a night in the wood i'll remind them to remmeber their chairs. :)

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Hello

Jackcbr you can shoot safely with a public right of way on your land. There is no law that says you can't, you just need to be safe and use common sense. I have been on park culls at Knole Park, we were culling deer with both the park and golf course open to the public. Next time I see you we can chat about it if you want. Squirrel is a very good meat, they are buggers to skin, and you need quite a few of them. They make nice kebabs. Venison only tends to taste strong if it has been hung for longer than a week, the average time is 3 weeks.

Not sure when I will be over next. Take it easy.

Luke

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
No hoggets or piglets available on the farm, all their livestock is for their shop only unfortunately. We can still buy it whole, but at shop prices which being biodynamic and organic makes it far too expensive. Venison can be got though at a decent price straight from the guys who shoot it for the farm shop, if none of our resident stalkers come up trumps.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
if none of our resident stalkers come up trumps.

Si, in the interests of keeping the boys in order may I suggest we clarify we mean deer stalkers :rolleyes:

Seriously though a carcass will cost roughly the same whether we get it from a resident stalker :)evilangel:) or get it at carcass value from your contacts. I'm up for venison!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE