Sushi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The food is made this way.
Herring caught in the Baltic is washed, deheaded, tightly packed in barrels together with salt, left open until the fermentation starts. Then packed in cans and sold.
The amount of salt is much less than for salted herring, as the salt is not to stop all bacterial activity, but just to stop harmful bacteria rotting the fish.

Similar technique to when you make souerkraut. Same process, lactic acid fermentation.
Today mainly enjoyed in the northern half of Sweden. It is made on the coast of Norrland.

Other fish can be made the same way. The Norwegians prepare Trout like this.

You have heard about Garum, the ancient Roman condiment?
Basically the same. Asian fishsauce is similar too.
But Surströmming is - let us say- a ’little bit’ more flavourful. And more smelly/ aromatic!

Reactions: hanzo

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Fermented herring. Age old food in Scsndinavia. The Vikings ate it, hence their success as warriors, lovers and Explorers!
If they ran out of it, they got a bit irritated. That is when they were called Bärsärk.

Hahahahahahaha....so that's why?!!

Reactions: hanzo

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
When I lived in the US we often ate out at Japanese restaurants, owned and run by Japanese, often with their US-born children serving at the tables.

I make "sushi" from time to time, using kit that I bought from garage sales and from the Korean and Japanese supermarkets over in the US. In Paris, where I work, there are a few Japanese supermarkets and grocery stores, so it's easy for me to find things like pickled daikon and ginger, nori sheets, etc.

A rolling mat, a bag of sushi rice, some avocado, cucumber, salmon, condiments, and tutorials on YouTube should get you set up for less than £20.

Reactions: hanzo and Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE