Sushi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I had quite a few of the boat refugees from Vietnam as patients back when I started.
Huge need for dental treatments.
Some started vietnamese restaurants, but Sweden was not ready, so they changed to Western-Chinese which worked.

Here on island any Asian inspired restaurant makes sushi. Usually US inspired sushi, with mayo, and similar nastinesses.

Real sushi is very healhy. Real men eat sushi. We need plenty of Omega 3 oils!

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I love sushi!

Most things out of the ocean, I would have no qualms about eating raw. Fresh water, I would cook, even though people do eat that raw too.

I have prepared and eaten stuff from fish to octopus to seaweed, both at home and at camp.

And I would like to suggest a field expedient method for delicious raw seafood... Hawaiian poke. Just cube the fish or whatever you caught, sprinkle a bit of salt and drizzle some sesame oil in it. If you like, add some seaweed, onion and green onion or whatever you like. Mix it and eat it. Great with rice. Does not need to me sushi rice. If you want, add a splash of soy sauce mixed with a pinch of sugar. Delicious but not necessary.

If I can remember how to post pictures, I will do so later.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Here’s the last sushi I had.

d632a275e8448c2e7aa46bbcf252ed85.jpg

f1bfd5ef34a8ddda9ce03063757f6287.jpg

708ba23001957ff8e1c1ef25c832c84c.jpg

638b9dc258fe637a9a26ec50de5b429f.jpg

c6b8fa2ff0771d02e2b076debfe24772.jpg

6a201a4a1923c0c1382599ccfc1f7fc4.jpg

2c3bd09c877a1cc9cab609e17be0002a.jpg

7f07368439763710b9e497d3978d8f4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
You made those sushi?

That was from my sushi dinner at a restaurant. The ones I make are much plainer. Slice the fish and slap it on rice. Sometimes I will season the fish and maybe even sear it with a torch. But must times just with shoyu and wasabi.

The thing is with salmon, you need to salt cure it first. A sushi chef taught me how. And I always salt cure salmon even if I am going to cook it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Interesting. I would never salt cure any good Pacific Northwest salmon ( Chinook, Coho or Sockeye)
unless I planned to smoke it with alder and maybe then put some aside for making salmon candy.
Fresh and unadulterated is the direction I go. Bought from the boat is best.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Interesting. I would never salt cure any good Pacific Northwest salmon ( Chinook, Coho or Sockeye)
unless I planned to smoke it with alder and maybe then put some aside for making salmon candy.
Fresh and unadulterated is the direction I go. Bought from the boat is best.

The sushi chefs always salt cure salmon. Then wash it off thoroughly and then a quick vinegar bath sometimes and a quick freeaze before preparing.

You forgot my favorite... Copper River!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Interesting twist in preparation. I prefer the traditional methods with Skeena or Nass fish.
Have become very fond of heated salmon herbed with dill weed.

I have a Breville smoker that I can run in the kitchen.
It works very well but it's really too little and too fast.

Reactions: hanzo

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Interesting twist in preparation. I prefer the traditional methods with Skeena or Nass fish.
Have become very fond of heated salmon herbed with dill weed.

I have a Breville smoker that I can run in the kitchen.
It works very well but it's really too little and too fast.

I just got into the habit of salt curing. If you wash it, you can season and cook as you would normally. The salt draws water and fish slime out. The flesh is firmer and more flavorful and less fishy. I cure it even before smoking. Wifee likes honey smoked salmon.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My grandmother in Vancouver taught me to cook salmon, must be nearly 60 years ago.
Baked with grapefruit and bacon, things like that. I wrote it out, word for word.

No honey, just a 100% Canadian Maple Syrup for salmon candy.

I have friends in the Birch syrup business, south of me.
I want to do some Coho with birch syrup. Very birch smokey.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Now I am not 100% sure what you mean with ’salt curing’, but what we have been taught with all sea fish is this:
Once you cut out the pieces you want you place them in a bucket with water with salt, a little bit more saline than sea water.
This draws out the remaining blood, and firms up the meat.
Time? I estimate about 30 minutes, up to 45 minutes.
Then we rinse it in fresh water, drip dry and vacuum pack. Flash freeze.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Having several North American friends, I have eaten lots of sweet ham and salmon. Honey, maple sap.

I prefer savoury fish. Salt, pepper, dill.
Feel adventurous?
Onions , capers and tomatoes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Salmon candy is a great treat but not something that I'd care to make a meal of. Just too much.
My grandma's baked whole salmon with grapefruit slices and bacon then a savory rice stuffing reminds me of
foggy winter nights in Vancouver. My preference is pan-fried with dill weed.

It has become important here to use the "Ocean Wise" cook book.
Hundreds of global fish stocks and their world wide security from over fishing are discussed.
Then, Agriculture Canada claims that more than 40% of fish for sale are mis-labelled.
Mainly to make money off the by-catch.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Hmm...might I introduce Pickled Herring as well as Surstromming (fermented herring)....not quite sushi, but delish all the same :)

Greger

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Röda Ulven. My favourite.
It may sound weird, but I like my surströmming to be aged for longer. I used to buy about 10 cans, and keep them in a cold fridge until the year after, started enjoying them as soon as you could sit outside.

I do not like the modern fillets. For me, part of the joy is the fermented roe and milt, plus the actual preparation process.
Take a few
out from the can. Open the stomach cavity, remove milt or roe.
Debone.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Having several North American friends, I have eaten lots of sweet ham and salmon. Honey, maple sap.

I prefer savoury fish. Salt, pepper, dill.
Feel adventurous?
Onions , capers and tomatoes.

I prefer savory to sweet as well. The honey smoked salmon has only a very thin layer of honey rubbed on the non-skin side. Maybe a tablespoon or two at most. And it also has a light rub of spicies. With kiawe (mesquite) smoke, it ends up savory with just a small hint of sweetness.

The salt curing actually helps with the smoking as it draws out moisture from the fish and firms the meat.

Salt curing is not salting the fish per se. Covering the fish, top and bottom with a layer of salt and letting it sit at room temperature for an hour or two, depending on the size of the fish. When it is about done, you will see the fish in a pool of water and slime. So it does became like a brine solution. After washing carefully, the fish is not salty. If you don’t wash it well, it will be.

One time at camp, I brought two good sized filets (about two feet long each) to make sashimi with one and to smoke on the campfire with the other. After I salt cured them and started slicing the first one, my daughter came by. I’m guessing she was between five and eight at the time. My girls love my sashimi, sushi and poke. So she asked if she could try a slice. So I let her. She said it was so good just plain and had more. Then she ran off and rounded up the rest of the kids. So they were eating it faster than I could slice it. And just the kids ate one whole. Raw and plain. And loved it.

So I ended up smoking only half of the remaining filet so that the adults could have some sashimi too. Kids! Gotta love it. So many camp cooking stories.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
Röda Ulven. My favourite.
It may sound weird, but I like my surströmming to be aged for longer. I used to buy about 10 cans, and keep them in a cold fridge until the year after, started enjoying them as soon as you could sit outside.

I do not like the modern fillets. For me, part of the joy is the fermented roe and milt, plus the actual preparation process.
Take a few
out from the can. Open the stomach cavity, remove milt or roe.
Debone.

Not sure what that is, but salmon roe (ikura) is delicious!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Fermented herring. Age old food in Scsndinavia. The Vikings ate it, hence their success as warriors, lovers and Explorers!
If they ran out of it, they got a bit irritated. That is when they were called Bärsärk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE