Survivor man + Man Vs Wild all series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Hey guys heads up incase you are intrested this person on youtube has Man Vs Wild season 1 and 2 up and also all season 1 of Survivor Man - Which isnt as good as i thought it would be but hes a funny guy ::lurk:

all bear grylls episodes
and all 1st series les stroud episodes at this link

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=soiryx

UPDATE***
this link is to Ray mears Wild Food, look into what foods kept out british ancesotor/hunter/gatherers alive and what they ate in britian -

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/9/4887

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
man vs wild is partly faked - like the time he tried to ride a "wild" horse. Give me a break.

Survivorman more or less just hangs out for a week and starves, freezes, roasts...not a whole lot to learn there - but a least he isn't faking.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
For me the biggest difference is that by following "Bear's" methods eventually nature will sort you out in a very negative way, he just takes to many drastic chances. (Also the misleading premise of the show)
For learning by far its Ray Mears, good teachings, well thought out, well presented.
Les Stroud is tough and shows how bad things can happen but not enough in being well kitted out and with a modicum of knowledge, for me that is a point of contention, when I see people lost and miserable in a shore camp or the side of a trail having a horrible time of it because they followed info that wasn't up to snuff.
So RM is the boy to lead.
Sorry to be off point.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Yep, There is countless threads for this guys, no need to bring it into this one. Was merly put because some people including me like to watch them for entertainment purposes

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
thanks for the info COMMANDOCAL am off sick from work at the mo just veiwed a couple of episodeds of les stroud helped pass some time CHEERS FELLA

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
man vs wild is partly faked - like the time he tried to ride a "wild" horse. Give me a break..

Partly? I'd say it was about 75% theatre. Aside from being codswalop, Man versus Pizza is bad news for the whole outdoors genre. Ray Mears, love him or loathe him, has almost single-handedly given back to basic outdoor living credibility. He has bought an honestly to it and presented "bushcraft" to the world in a way thay anyone can understand and none has a quarrel with. Ray has worked hard to distance bushcraft from right wing survivalism, with great effect.

By contrast Bear Grylls has taken bushcraft back 25 years. He has taken a topic that has found credibility and injected a dose of quasi-military, survivalist fantasy into it, based on bad advice, machismo posturing and misdirection that is verging on fraudulent, not to mention more than a little "jackass" style idiocy. Way to go Rambo! Lets hope his next survival knife has a saw back, a fishing kit in the hollow handle and a compass.

Survivorman more or less just hangs out for a week and starves, freezes, roasts...not a whole lot to learn there - but a least he isn't faking.

Absolutly, poles apart. Les Stroud appears humble, likeable and ego-free. His approach is refreshingly honest and while is may lack "drama", it has a deeper value alogether. You say there is not a whole lot to learn, well I would disagree with that. You get the full picture, warts and all. While Bear ships in a pre-built shelter, has his crew construct it, then poses under it for the shot before retiring to the villa for a hot bath and a pizza, Les Stroud is on his third night alone, eating grasshoppers. It's the process of actually living htrough it that holds the fascination for me. It's no big deal builing a firebow in your back yard, but after 3 days without food, it's a different challenge. It's how living with minimal water, almost no food, in harsh conditions affects the decisions you make that is most educational. It's a welcome bonus that Les also shuns the camo wearing, paramilitary twaddle, by contrast Mr Grylls does like to remind us that he was in 21 reg at every opportunity. Absolutely, Everest was an enormous achievement, but nothing spoils an enormous achievement like and even more enormous love of ones own reflection.

There is no contest, Les Strouds programs are honest, humble, informative, fascinating and educational. Man versus Pizza is anything but.

For me the biggest difference is that by following "Bear's" methods eventually nature will sort you out in a very negative way, he just takes to many drastic chances. (Also the misleading premise of the show)
For learning by far its Ray Mears, good teachings, well thought out, well presented.
Les Stroud is tough and shows how bad things can happen but not enough in being well kitted out and with a modicum of knowledge, for me that is a point of contention, when I see people lost and miserable in a shore camp or the side of a trail having a horrible time of it because they followed info that wasn't up to snuff.
So RM is the boy to lead.
to be off point.

I agree with you here mate, Ray is the king of presenting skill sets, but I think Les' programs in some ways offer more information. I suppose it depends who is watching. You are probably very familiar with all those simple decisions like "do I build my shelter here", or "do I walk that way or this way?". For me though, I dont live in these places and only go as a visitor, so these decisions are new and fascinating to me.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Apparently, survivorman is showing all week on Discovery, but if you cant get that, here are all the links to the youtube videos of the series...

Each episode is split into 5 parts, the links below are to the first part, the remaining parts of each episode are on the youtube menu to the right....

Canadian Boreal Forest - 1 of 5

Arizona Desert - 1 of 5

Costa Rica - 1 of 5

Lost at Sea - 1 of 5

Georgian Swamp - 1 of 5

Mountain - 1 of 5

Arctic - 1 of 5

Plane Crash - 1 of 5

Canyonlands - 1 of 5

Kalahari Desert - 1 of 5

Behind the Scenes - 1 of 5

Off the Grid - 1 of 10
Special extended multi-part prog, where Les Stroud buys 150 acres of Canadian woodland and builds a permanent home for his family "off the grid".

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The educational aspect of survivorman is you get to see the uncut decision making process, you get to see his mistakes as well as good decisions. In the Kalahari episode, he gets close to calling it off, likewise in the mountain episode, he builds his shelter too close to the river. You see the rationalle and the consequences and how his decisions are affected by fatigue, thirst and hunger over time. You get an insight into the psychology. Excellent programs.

I have to agree with Matt Mallery, Bush Tucker Man is the original and the best. I strongly suspect that the BBC copied the format for the Ray's progs which im all for. Les Hiddins has lived and breathed Bushcraft in Australia for most his life, it's a shame that ABC or BBC didn't make the most of him.
Mann Vs Wild and Survivorman is good entertainment thats worth watching but their 'over the top' acting and seriousness can be irritating.
Ray is great for his laid back persona and well produced and informative series.
Positive or negative, most people will learn something new from each of the different programs.

All these series are produced by T.V companies with one goal in mind and that is to entertain and entertainment is big business (don't get me wrong i thoroughly enjoy all series). For more in depth and educational films then you have to hunt down the ones made and produced by people you hardly hear of, they may be without the 'gloss' and music but offer so much more if your after 'how to' and knowledge.

Can't see this lasting on youtube for too long. If you use firefox then use VideoDownloader to grab the vids then convert them for your zen or ipod player.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE