TV : Man Vs. Wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
I searched for this, but couldn't find anything.
Weirdly I got a result for "build your own fallout shelter" but that's besides the point.
I resent this series, everything from the title. Man shouldn't be Vs. wild, everything about survival in any way, is learning to master the wild, to use it in your best interests, and to keep the wild...well wild, allowing it to continue as if you weren't there.

Dallas...is man vs. wild. They paved over it

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Weirdly I got a result for "build your own fallout shelter" but that's besides the point.
I resent this series, everything from the title. Man shouldn't be Vs. wild, everything about survival in any way, is learning to master the wild, to use it in your best interests, and to keep the wild...well wild, allowing it to continue as if you weren't there.

Dallas...is man vs. wild. They paved over it

:rolleyes::rolleyes::nofeed:

Man there are a heap of threads here on the forum on the subject of: MvW, Bear Grylls etc ad infinitum...

And now we have one more...:lurk:

if you're really unhappy about the programme content and title contact the production company...

DIVERSE BRISTOL LTD.

Embassy House, 5th Floor
Queens Ave
Clifton, Bristol
BS8 1SB

Tel: +44 (0) 117 906 9350
Fax: +44 (0) 117 930 4368

Let us know what they say....

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East

I don't really approve of the way so many people who'd lack the presenter's skills and qualities have taken into their heads to gang-pile onto him. People may not like the format - though why should, and how could, every programme be in exactly the format that suits every viewer? - but that they go for the presenter, who must to a certain extent be constrained by what the production company wants, is telling. It must fundamentally be envy at bottom - an ugly but pervasive social phenomenon, unfortunately:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ressentiment

As for the title, AFAIK, that's the U.S. title, and it's marketed under other names in other countries. But it's just a title and as meaningful or meaningless as most others. Trying to get some deep meaning out of it that is supposedly discreditable to someone is just a piece of unpleasantness. And I've never seen any of those programmes suggest that it's important not to "master the wild" (whatever that might mean) nor that it's important to "use it" in one is not one's "best interests" (whatever those might be taken to be), nor that the wild should not be "kept well wild" (whatever "well wild" might be taken to mean).

If you don't like a programme, don't watch it.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Yeah I kind of sympathise with that point of view. It sort of reminds me of when an indie band suddenly gets mainstream popular and all of its original fans go in the huff. Grylls is a popularizer, he uses "bushcraft" skills in a "survival" setting. He's not as good as the real Survivorman, but he's okay. For me I've always seen RM as more of a hands on anthropologist. Anthropology is far more interesting than survival (to me).

There's a psychological phenomenon that I call "negative affirmation". Basically you are asserting qualities that you posses by claiming that someone else lacks them. When someone says, "She's so vain", they are really declaring, "I am so modest". He's not a real bushcrafter?

There's a psychological phenomenon that I call "negative affirmation". Basically you are asserting qualities that you posses by claiming that someone else lacks them. When someone says, "She's so vain", they are really declaring, "I am so modest". He's not a real bushcrafter?

That doesn't really work.

Bear Grylls is an idiot.
I am an idiot.
Wheres the negative affermation?

:cool:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Ruvio, I wasn't at all sure what you were driving at until someone else mentioned BG.

I would agree with what others have said but on the other hand, if you don't like the content of a thread, don't rise to it! It isn't exactly World's End!

I'll pay you the respect of trying to address some of your points.

Incidentally, I entered your title and got an enormous number of links. I've watched a few episodes of BG's programmes and can't say I'm impressed with the content. I find some of the stunts to be downright irresponsible. A broken leg will not enhance ones chances of survival! My solution is not to watch it!

But you have to put this into context. Not only is it entertainment but is intended in the main for the US market, and there are considerable cultural differences between the US and Europe. I watched a movie on TV last night solely because Clint Eastwood was in it but found it appalling. It wasn't what I'd come to expect from such a talented actor and producer. The reason for this was that it was a movie intended for the US TV market. I'm sure in Eastwood's book, it's only business, and a lucrative business at that!

The reason you got info on how to build a fall-out shelter is because of the difference in meanings between the concepts of "Survival" and woodcraft in different cultural contexts. As an example, consider the disappointment voiced by some at Ray Mears latest "Survival" prog. Most, myself included, looked forward to a production in a woodcraft context of some sort. What we got was a wonderful, and time tested genre of documentaries on the plight of rare or endangered species with a decades old pedigree... and I'm still mad that I missed the last episode!

The fall-out shelter is the product of the decades of the psychology of the (not so) Cold War, with governments terrifying their own citizens into believing the end was nigh, Tomorrow or The Day After Tomorrow!

The notion of man against nature stems from the industrial revolution, when the belief that we could conquer nature with technology was common... Brunel's, Telford's, etc canals, roads and bridges; the Union Pacific Railroad; and a view of nature as being there solely for humans to utilise.

Whereas most contributors to this forum just want to sneak off to the woods, set up camp, build a fire, practice a few skills and maybe even enjoy a dram... without anyone ever knowing they were there, there are other philosophies which insist that only a fool would give a thought to the environment. These are the slash, burn and kill exponents. Those who argue that you shouldn't give a hoot about nature because nature doesn't give a hoot about you.
It's nature that is out to kill you! They call themselves "Survivalists"!

Pit that against my, and many other's belief, that it is nature which will sustain me in a pinch and you're likely to be left with the distinct impression that never the twain shall meet.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
That doesn't really work.

Bear Grylls is an idiot.
I am an idiot.
Wheres the negative affermation?

:cool:

agrees some times a cigar is just a cigar

must admit though im watching bear and its does make me cringe with embarresment - the whole tv personality is a crazy thing loads of people on this site seem to worship RM i am sure he has many skills but you know his main skill is he is a very good presenter and has a great production team its kinda all about upping profile and making money tbh

bear is bolock crazy makes some good tv from time to time but he is going the way of a media ***** hell they are even releasing bear grhylls the computer game now.

have to say though bear what ever your opinion of him raises a lot of cash for very good causes so fair play to him

my advice to yu all is really stop worshipping hating loveing these tv personalitys

hell throw your tv away and go out side fgs

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i was really pleased when i heard bear took the chief scout post
scounting has had some bad press over the years and its "non coolness" has put a lot of young people off getting involved which is a shame as the organisation has a lot to offer

i am slightly concerened by bears media antics its a two edge sword media can make seems popular and "cool" down side is this a good message to premote to young people ?

supose it dont really matter media is pumping out so much these days but if people are encouraged to get out and camp at least they are away from the tv for a day or two.

though with all the portable media devices available that can be a problem

there is a site ive being going to for over 20 yrs and there use to be an un writtent rule that you didnt use a mobile "at the rocks" (unless it was an emergency) the last 5 yrs when i have been there not only is the place so much more busy you have people on phones texting and by far the most annoying playing music out of there phones bloody hell who would think such small things could create so much volume!

i guess the worlds changing and im getting old lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE