Survive an Unexpected Night Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A night out can have disastrous results for even the most hardened and experienced outdoorsmen. I knew James McCallion when I was based in Germany, he had just completed four months in St Georgia which is even further towards the south pole than the Falkland Islands, so he knew how to operate in cold conditions. He then went on to complete his Commando Course and served in the same Squadron as my brother who just this weekend told me of his passing. Commando units train in cold mountainous warfare in places such as Norway and have used those skills in a war fighting role in places such as Afghanistan, so James probably had a lot more experience then the Average Joe. Who knows exactly what happened on Snowdon when he and his brother perished earlier this year, but if a mobile phone or GPS could have saved their lives then it is nothing to carry, is it?

Think through every eventuality, carry the gear required to get you out of a bind, heed weather warnings and don't over stretch your capabilities. The world is a sadder place because of the passing of James McCallion.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/west...don-deaths/article-668728-detail/article.html

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
So what should you take then? My local mountains are the Pentlands, I've climbed the hill above the ski slope and would like top walk along the ridge line. Should I take more than a bottle of water and a mars bar?

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
There should be a manditory call out charge for people who use SAR teams because of their own lack of preparation/equipment. The funds raised can be invested in gear for the teams.

The Air Search and Rescue teams would still need to be out in the hills, even if there weren't any actual emergencies. They need to train.

I was on the summit of Ben Macdui a couple of years ago and watched a Super Puma touch down a few meters away. A crew member hung out of the open door relaying instructions to the pilot, so a wheel wouldn't get trapped between the rocks. As soon as all wheels were down, the helicopter was off again. I've also been in the Corour bothy at night when a Sea King came in and briefly touched down.

I guess actual rescues of walkers are a godsend to them and present a more real scenario than dry dummy exercises.

Jim

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
So what should you take then? My local mountains are the Pentlands, I've climbed the hill above the ski slope and would like top walk along the ridge line. Should I take more than a bottle of water and a mars bar?

Maybe a mobile phone? :rolleyes:

The pentlands aren't too high and as long as you know the weather forcasts and tell someone where youre going and when you'll be back eveything should be fine.

But next time you're out have a think about what you would do if you went over on your ankle or a sudden thunderstorm appeared.

Last year I was out on the hills with my 9yr old son. We were heading down the path after having been to the summit. We were only half an hour from the car, he was running and getting further ahead of me so I picked up speed, when I got to a steeper section I tried to slow down but as I put my right foot down it twisted, I heard a crack (felt lots of pain) and pitched head first into the bracken of the path, my foot instantly had a pins and needle sensation and began going numb.
Now I have been on more first aid courses than I remember. I have carried people of the hills and led courses in navigation and there I was unable to stand, with an ankle swollen large enough to put a melon to shame.

What to do? I really, really didn't want to call anyone out. But after a while with my leg in the air, trying to reduce the swelling and weighing up whether my scrawny son could support my weight, I decided it was the only option. I sometimes carry a mobile, sometimes it is even charged, But not on this occassion :rolleyes:

Fortunatly I had full waterproofs, a bit of food and water. I even had a spare jumper which was lucky as lying on the ground immobile you get cold quickly. I was on the verge of sending my son down the hill on his own (how do you squre that one when you are the responsible adult) to look for help, when a couple came by and after almost walking past me offered use of a phone.

I had resigned myself by then to calling mountain rescue, but was still rather peeved about that.

When they turned up the first thing they did was check what I had with me and have a look at my boots. After a quick apraisal I was told "yep, they'll do. You obviously walk quite a bit", It made me feel slightly less like a numpty, but just shows it can happen to anyone even half an hour from the road end.

What would I have done had I been on my own and no-one had come past with a phone?
I guess I'd have started trying to shuffle back. If it was getting late I'd find somewhere sheltered and would no doubt have been able to make some sort of 'bed' to insulate me from the ground, but I was already getting shivery by the time I was rescued, so it doesn't take long.

These days my day pack is often bigger than it could be, but at least I am fairly sure I could survive an unexpected night out.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Maybe a mobile phone?
What would I have done had I been on my own and no-one had come past with a phone?
I guess I'd have started trying to shuffle back. If it was getting late I'd find somewhere sheltered and would no doubt have been able to make some sort of 'bed' to insulate me from the ground, but I was already getting shivery by the time I was rescued, so it doesn't take long.

These days my day pack is often bigger than it could be, but at least I am fairly sure I could survive an unexpected night out.

I like to have a "trauma first aid kit" with me; one military field dressing and one wide elastic bandage. This allows for stopping major bleeding (e.g. trying to cut ones foot off with an axe; start with the field dressing and add the elastic on top), and to stabilize turned ankles (a quick, hard wrapping stops the swelling, and you can be back in action in a couple of days, rather than weeks).

As to other things I think sane clothes and a way to make fire is the most important. Perhaps a poncho could come in handy as well. It all depends on the terrain, time of year and climate zone, as well as what is the "pessimal" situation (an hour or two, or all by yourself until you are able to walk 1-200 km in broken terrain?).

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Thanks for the advice Silver Girl. The Pentalnds are "tame", but when I was up there, and I'm going to sound like a total wuss here, I decided to cut off the path to the (lowly) summit and swing back down onto the lower path. To do so I walked across the slope and downwards. Before long I began to sense the actual size of the hill, I was away from any path and suddenly the ground was getting much steeper than I liked. Out of sight of any path or person, among coarse heather on a steep slope, and a huge cloud suddenly darkening the sky, I suddenly felt very alone, and, as I say, I'm going to sound like a total wimp, things began to get a little bit eerie. It was as if the mountain was showing me its power and telling me not to take liberties. So..........I legged it back onto the path and said nothing.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Caliban

Without sounding all Yoda on you, Honesty is the cornerstone of Humility .

Good on you.Did'nt have to share but you did., nice one.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
. It was as if the mountain was showing me its power and telling me not to take liberties.

I'd always listen to the mountain. It knows more about weather and the shape of things than we ever will. The unexpected can creep up on you anywhere, thats why its unexpected :D

I used to live on the edge of the pentlands and regularly went walking there (with my dog) when I was wee. Its a nice area but not much cover if you get caught out in bad weather or get lost and have to spend a night out.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There should be a manditory call out charge for people who use SAR teams because of their own lack of preparation/equipment. The funds raised can be invested in gear for the teams.

No. Ask anyone from a UK MRT and they will tell you that they'd rather be called out on an expensive rescue than have someone die because they thought they could not afford a rescue and never called.

I will use technology where available. I will take a mobile phone, a radio, a SPOT beacon unit, GPS, whatever. If it means it increases the chance of me getting home safely to my wife, I'll do it. Having said that, I am confident that my skills, drills, first-aid knowledge, map reading, etc, would keep me safe until rescue arrived.

So, to those who eschew technology as "it's new so it's probably bad", don't worry - I'll let you use my phone/beacon/GPS when you need it. ;)

For those who don't believe that you should be prepared - don't worry, I'll be there for you too. :bluThinki

For those who believe that bushcraft is about making the best use of what you have available, I'm with you. :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Right ,Don't blame me , but Sandbender should'nt provide me with such distractions, especially when i'm working a Night-shift.

Anyway, courtesy of the Yoda Speech Generator , and i did trial a few things including MeatLoafs -Bat out of Hell and also the Lords Prayer , I have settled on presenting you with;-

Yoda Reads Lyrics From the Village People.;-

Young man, no need to feel down, there is. .
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground. .
I said, young man, in a new town, 'cause you are.
No need to be unhappy, there is. .

Young man, place you can go, there is. .
I said, young man, when short on your dough, you are. .
Stay there, you can, and sure you will find, I am.
Good time, many ways to have. .

Fun to stay at the y-m-c-a, it is. .

Everything for you men to enjoy, they have, .
Hang out with all the boys, you can... .

Get yourself cleaned, you can, have a good meal, you can, .
Do whatever you feel, you can... .

Young man, listening to me, are you, hmm? .
I said, young man, what want you to be, hmm? .
I said, young man, make real your dreams, you can. .
But to know this one thing, you got! .

No man, all by himself, does it. .
I said, young man, your pride on the shelf put, .
And just go there, to the y.m.c.a. .
Sure they can help you today, I am. .

Fun to stay at the y-m-c-a, is it. .

Get yourself cleaned, you can, have a good meal, you can, .
Do whatever you feel, you can... .

Young man, once in your shoes, I was. .
I said, down and out with the blues, was I. .
Alive, I felt no man cared if I were. .
So tight, I felt the whole world was... .

That is when someone came up to me, .
And said, young man, take a walk up the street. .
Place there called the y.m.c.a, there is. .
Start you back on your way, they can. .

Y-m-c-a ... Find it at the y-m-c-a, you will. .

Young man, young man, no need to feel down, there is. .
Young man, young man, get yourself off the ground. .

Y-m-c-a ... Find it at the y-m-c-a, you will. .

Young man, young man, no need to feel down, there is. .
Young man, young man, get yourself off the ground. .

Y-m-c-a ... To the y-m-c-a just go. .

Young man, young man, listening to me, are you, hmm? .
Young man, young man, what you, be, want to, hmm? Yeesssssss.

Try reciting that next time your down the local Disco.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE