Survival Whistle from aluminium can

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
few days ago I saw a clip on YouTube about a survival whistle done from an aluminium can...today I tryied to do the same

just a Vic Minichamp it's sufficient to do it

need firstly to obtain a rectangule about 8 cm x 4 cm

than you cut a strip 8 cm x 2 cm (more or less), and another strip 4 cm x 2 cm

fold the short strip around the long strip, nearly at the end, an fold the remainig part of the long strip

now, fold the free part of the longer strip around your finger, to obtain a curve, and open a little bit the shorter strip (for airflow)

need to obtain something like this

to obtain a sound (I ensure, pretty loud), you need to close the sides of the whistle with your fingers (thumb+index)

the whistle it's ready

I may ensure the sound it's pretty loud (also it's funny to make this little tool :).
Ciao,
Alfredo
PS apologize for ugly pictures

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Great post! - made one of those myself a while back - quite hard to get the hang of blowing these, but a really rewarding project and fun to demonstrate.

I've also made candle lanterns and meths stoves from drinks cans in the woods. Nice to do a bit of 'wombling' when you go out. It's almost handy that thoughtless people leave cans all over the place in our woodlands.

Not that I wouldn't want people to take their rubbish with them.

Are there any other things, that I havent mentioned that people have made from drinks cans?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I seem to remember someone telling me about when Mors Kochanski made loads of these for kids at the Bushmoot..... what a mistake to make :rolleyes:

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Hi,

I hope you dont mind but I used this tutorial with my college students last week. very very good instructions - it took me an hour to make the whistle sound, but they had the whole thing cracked in about 20minutes! thank you

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One hint: never, ever teach this to a grop of children. If you decide to ignore this advice, aty least only teach it the very last thing you do. The reason is simple; the courts take a somewhat dim view of people killing children and then stomping on their heads until there is only a large, red smear on the ground.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One hint: never, ever teach this to a grop of children. If you decide to ignore this advice, aty least only teach it the very last thing you do. The reason is simple; the courts take a somewhat dim view of people killing children and then stomping on their heads until there is only a large, red smear on the ground.

Hmmm Spikey da Pikey comes to mind at the bushmoot lol:lmao:

Great tutorial by the way :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE