Survival videos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Fallow Way said:
Bushcrafters who start making DVD`s must think themselves so knowledgable in the field, they can lecture others in it. There are some who claim the title of "expert" which to me, is about as lofty as you can get, you really have to act without flaw to deserve that title and interestingly, those people who we on the whole regard as experts, wouldnt call themselves so.

If you have to tell people you are such and such, you must not be obviously.

Its called marketing.

There'd hardly be any point in producing a DVD and describing yourself as 'mediocre' or 'not bad'

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Guys please!

We are veering off track here; Bhold has started this thread to ask for opinions from people who have viewed the DVD's produced by Ron Hood

Let’s not hijack his thread, out of 22 posts on here so far only 6 actually have anything to do with the question.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Snufkin said:
I don't have a copy but this DVD is highly regarded.

Thanks mate, nice pointer. I took a look on the trailer, and indeed it seems very good. After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Tim Lively, I've just ordered the dvd.
I will post a review for you guys after it arrives.
Cheers,

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I got my Mors DVD this morning and after 25mins of wathing it - BUY ONE!
There is a crazy amount of info and he is almost hyperactive the amount of stuff he does and so quickly. I'll post a full review later but these videos rock :) :) :) :) :)

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
I have a number of Ron's DVD's and would rate them as follows :

Desert Survival - very good.
Vehicle Survival - very good.
Survival Kits - very good.
Navigation and Travel - good.
Survival Camping - entertaining, with some good pointers.
Crafts for the field - fine for "bushcrafty types" but did nothing for me.

I think Mr. Hood is one of the few that will still be around after "T****"...... :cool:

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Does anyone knows Ron Hood's (www.survival.com) survival videos?
I've been thinking on getting one for some time now, but I don't have the slightest idea if they are worth their salt.

The one I am considering is the one about Tracking (http://www.survival.com/volume-8.htm), but again, don't know if it is good, and if having a video is much better than a book to learn tracking (as both options are way cheaper than a course).

Another one that I fancy is the one about blacksmithing (http://www.survival.com/volume-9.htm). Both are on the Woodsmaster series, under "video".

What do you think about the videos? :confused:

Cheers

Bhold

With bushcraft/survival videos there is often a trade off between content/teaching and production quality. Ron and Karen's videos are a fair compromise on all aspects if you have little knowledge of the subject. The slant on their material is Survival rather than bushcraft and they have a philosophy of "'Nuf", which I quite liked. i.e. good enough, close enough etc. Expediency in the field being a key idea.

As regards the Tracking video a good book would have more information (recommendations anyone?) and maybe any trackers attending meets could pass some knowledge on, Please :) .

The Tai Goo (http://www.taigoo.com/) knifemaking stuff was interesting to watch but I've seen a more detailed demo at the BushMoot last year.

For survival themed entertainment I'd recommend a number of them, just don't expect anything as slick as an RM DVD.

Stu
OK, I admit it, I've got them all. :D

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Yep, I got bought one of Ron Hoods DVD's when I first started out and at first I thought it was a spoof! I wouldnt waste your money or time on him mate. Look else where or better still, buy a book get into them woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE