Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Have you seen the new stoves the army supposedly is trailing/experimenting with?

I saw that recently, Su did a video review, looks novell

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Neoaliphant, that is really weird. I have always thought the mess tins were massively under rated however the hex stove saw service all over the world and is often mentioned. I am sure someone, might have been Jocko, said something like the Brits are great however if you stop they will be making tea on those tiny stoves. Also I have seen pictures of them in use in the Falklands so if they worked there they should work anywhere. The UK, US, Australia and New Zealand all used them.
I have never had an issue with a Hex stove however I have had the Trangia wind issue which is a pain because you cannot see the flame or lack of it.
Lightweight hikers love them, and it is only the rise of Titanium that has really diminished their use. Then again they are a weird bunch, any cold soakers in the UK? :)
Its odd in my mind that ultralighters would like meths, while stove can be small, the fuel seems heavy, i would have thought small propane stoves like msr pocket rocket or similar.

i did try out a meths stove, the alocs cookset, didnt get on with it....

i like the coleman feather, for heavy duty use, but i like the smell of hexamine, and its so small and lightweight setup, but will probably change to dragon gel when i run out......

Last edited:
Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Its odd in my mind that ultralighters would like meths, while stove can be small, the fuel seems heavy, i would have thought small propane stoves like msr pocket rocket or similar.
I think the big thing that counts against the gas stoves is the weight of the fuel as it never really gets lighter while meths gets lighter every time you use it. Also there was a big issue with gas replacement however you can get adaptors now so they do seem to be going back to them more. Also as you point out there are tiny ones now and set ups like the jetboil.

i did try out a meths stove, the alocs cookset, didnt get on with it....
There slower however they had the massive benefit of fuel being easy to get hold of. This has changed as a lot of places that used to stock meths have stopped.

i like the coleman feather, for heavy duty use, but i like the smell of hexamine, and its so small and lightweight setup, but will probably change to dragon gel when i run out......
I have a big double burner with grill for heavy use which I think is Coleman or one of their other brands. I am a big Coleman fan.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
ive seen a lot of videos mention having 55 gallon drum liners in survival pouch to use as mini tarp poncho browse bed etc

i havent seen any here, so ive taken out the heav dudty bin liner, will be using that as a backpack cover

and gave made a small poncho roll of my orange survival bag wrapped up in poncho, so this covers rain shelter and signalling, it straps neatly to the top of my pouch even when worn on belt, or slung underneath response pack, always the risk of adding to many items,,,,,,

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh
I do carry a disposable propane canister stove for cold morning when I do not want to leave my sleeping bag, and for stealth situations, however as good as these other stoves reviewed are, I will not use them any more.
I have tried a few.
I simply place two flattish stones six inches apart, and light a twig fire between.
I then put my pan supported by the two stones over the fire.
Meths. Hexamine, you have to carry it and it will run out.
I once had an Olympus petrol stove. It exploded.
The burning stem fired off into the trees!
I was glad.
The trouble I had making it work was a pain. All I had left was the petrol tank with a gaping hole in the top.

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh

Here's a brand new video on this subject from Neil Andrews / Greencraft. He looks back at Lofty Wiseman's suggested survival kit approach from back in the day, and puts his own modern take on it. Worth a look I think.
Does anyone know where I can buy a pour and storback water carrier, position 13.5t minutes?
I think that is what Mr Andrews said.
I have searched and cannot find a source of purchase.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh
Maybe I missed it but I do not see any reference to medical supplies.
Even in a survival tin there would be room for a few tabs of imodium, pain killers, and sleeping pills.
I was once kept awake half the night while out because of an irritating cough. Now I always carry throat lozengers.
In a survival situation, for instance when a car breaks down in a remote area, without cell phone coverage, the survivor will have to walk out. Most people do not walk enough to have hard feet, therefore blisters are guaranteed.
If I have not done any rambling for awhile I always get blisters.
If a survivor has to walk twenty miles, and after ten miles cannot go further because of blisters, that might be the end of the road.
Most essential item to carry, in a tin or pocket is a strip of blister pads. That way the survivor can walk the twenty miles out and next night compete in the local ballroom Paso Doble competitions.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@Limey Pete
Double socks is a great way to prevent blisters. I always wear two pairs, even in hottest summer. Double pair of socks and sandals is my daily footwear summertime.
But I must say, never heard of anyone getting blister so easily as you described.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Maybe I missed it but I do not see any reference to medical supplies.
Even in a survival tin there would be room for a few tabs of imodium, pain killers, and sleeping pills.
I was once kept awake half the night while out because of an irritating cough. Now I always carry throat lozengers.
In a survival situation, for instance when a car breaks down in a remote area, without cell phone coverage, the survivor will have to walk out. Most people do not walk enough to have hard feet, therefore blisters are guaranteed.
If I have not done any rambling for awhile I always get blisters.
If a survivor has to walk twenty miles, and after ten miles cannot go further because of blisters, that might be the end of the road.
Most essential item to carry, in a tin or pocket is a strip of blister pads. That way the survivor can walk the twenty miles out and next night compete in the local ballroom Paso Doble competitions.

Missed what, what source are you refering to that was missing medical
the video on greencrafts channel?

my car kit/backpack has blister felt thing and also honey which i find usefull for coughs....

Last edited:

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh

my car kit/backpack has blister felt thing and also honey which i find usefull for coughs....

Yes I am referring to this Greencrafts video. I have just watched the whole video and the only reference to first aid was duct tape, gorrilla tape, which I suppose was supposed to bind wounds, and tampons. What they are used for in first aid I do not know.
There are no references to any kind of medicine.
You claim to carry a blister felt thing, and honey for coughs. Did you post that?
I have looked at your posts on this subject and see no reference to medicine. Please direct me to where you did. I am keen to learn . . .

Limey Pete

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
pnom, penh
@Limey Pete
Double socks is a great way to prevent blisters. I always wear two pairs, even in hottest summer. Double pair of socks and sandals is my daily footwear summertime.
But I must say, never heard of anyone getting blister so easily as you described.
Maybe you have never spoken to a person that had to walk twenty miles, who was not used to walking.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Yes I am referring to this Greencrafts video. I have just watched the whole video and the only reference to first aid was duct tape, gorrilla tape, which I suppose was supposed to bind wounds, and tampons. What they are used for in first aid I do not know.
There are no references to any kind of medicine.
You claim to carry a blister felt thing, and honey for coughs. Did you post that?
I have looked at your posts on this subject and see no reference to medicine. Please direct me to where you did. I am keen to learn . . .
I noticed that about greencrafts as well, not much medical
I have noticed some people have loads, some people not at all.

I havent mentioned anywhere my backpack kit which I keep in the car, but that has my main first aid kit, which i havent posted its contents, but it has the felt moleskin thing in i think.. so the first aid supplies on my belt kit are minimal, ( i posted my kit on post 349 on this thread, page 18) i do have aspirin but yes I dont have immodium or sleeping pills, was thinking to get some immodium at some point, as far as sleeping pills thats never been much of an issue but i do use valeren based herbal concoction at home. I find cafeeine pills more of a requirement for me.

i keep small packets of honey in my backpack food kit, these are often found in B&M, i tend to use them on breadsticks, but if I did have a cough I would use honey if I was out, or elderberry, glycerin and honey when at home,

tampons are really usefull as they are hyper compressed cotton, when they role out they are like a gauze pad, so you can ducttape it on to a wound, they have been used to plug gullet wounds and very often stop nosebleeds. But main use for tampon is of coarse tinder. although i also have compressed cloth tablets as well for this.

a very usefull recent find is that Aliexpress have a lot of cotton buds/qtips that are filled, some with iodine, some with alcahol, so usefull 1shot first aid devices and individually wrapped.

Reactions: Limey Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE