Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Interesting idea, sounds a good one, do you have any references?

Aye,

Here:

Also found UCO does something similar:

https://www.amazon.nl/vuurstarters-...ocphy=1010322&hvtargid=pla-461778530121&psc=1

And (similar-ish) @7:28 in a USAF parachute kit:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Reactions: BrewkitAndBasha

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Thx, found something similar to the UCO bits locally, have to look for the Swedish ones, looks like one might get a cup of tea with just one.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Flamefast is another brand of strikeable firestarter. Swedish Match has a version called Sampo fire starters.

Another fire related thing saw in a off shelf kit recently was 5g sachets of white petrolatum/petroleum jelly/vaseline. Seems like used in tattoo shops quite a bit.

Reactions: Ahjno

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've stopped looking for kit cans of useful things to sustain me for a couple of days. Grocery lists are everywhere. I was gifted several 2-stack East Indian stainless steel tiffin. Different sizes. Extremely bash-worthy. Room for plenty of dry foods and dry supplies. Poorly tooled, some work with a file and carborundum papers fixed all those flaws.
I use them for my needs in Fridays at the Outdoor Farmer's Market here.
In fact, I probably take 3X what I need but the boredom nibbles get to me.
Fridge-cleaners.

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
OK, so I took the plunge and bought a couple of SUMA large containers from SOLKOA in the USA. Partly because I am thinking of retailing them out here in the FE but also because...well...er..you know, just had to be done I guess.
Having received them, I have been mucking around with my survival gear and went for a 2-part kit, designed to fit into my belt pouch but also to be carried in a smock. That said, the containers are quite chunky when compared to a tobacco tin or mini mess-tin and would therefore be something of a movable feast. Here in the tropics, I don't like too much stuff in my pockets as I don't often wear a smock with lots of carriage capacity, so my belt-kit is on me at all times in the Ulu.

I have included in pot-1 (Location and Fire): an orange marker panel, a compact heliograph as well as a SOLKOA orange survival blanket (kept separately), a type-23 Huntsman compass from Silva, two photon lights, some Hammaro tinder card, 2 small hexi blocks, a flint and magnesium firestarter, BCB survival aid-memoir and a 1 litre NATO waterbag.

In pot-2 (Protection, Water and Food): Another water bag with puritabs, a separate green survival bag (I will change it for a clear one which will be better and for use as a transpiration bag/solar still), a multi-use mozzie headnet, a small fishing kit, some trap wire, some micro-cord, a betalight (lure), a wire saw, 2 Dermasafe cutters, a sewing kit and some insect repellent and sunscreen.

Why 2 containers? Well, apart from the old adage of "two is one and one is none", it all allows me to fit a more substantial amount of practical gear in there and as I carry it in a belt pouch I have more room than a pocket sized tobacco tin. No doubt I will have plenty of fun repacking it into different configurations though...Lockdown activities.

Attachments

• A. Kits and shelter items.jpg
    A. Kits and shelter items.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 18
  • B. Tin 1 plus shelter items.jpg
    B. Tin 1 plus shelter items.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 17
  • C. Tin 1 Location and Fire.jpg
    C. Tin 1 Location and Fire.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
  • D. Tin 2 Protection Food and Water.jpg
    D. Tin 2 Protection Food and Water.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Swedish Match has a version called Sampo fire starters.
Found those too, actually sold widely, I just haven't had the need. For curiosity: "Sampo" is a name from Kalevala that ended up to Swedish Match when they bought the last of Finnish match production.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Looks fairly decent. Though £100+ Leatherman in a coffee can... may as well get a zebra billy at that point.
Not keen on the Petzl e+lite things. If they didn't put a magnet in them, I'd pick either a Manker E02 II (AAA) or E03 II (AA). With an Energizer L91/L92 battery.
Pretty sure most survival fishing kits are not about acquiring food, but to give you something to do. Psychological help rather than nutritional.

Reactions: Minotaur
one item i'd add to a survival kit if i plan on going fishing for dinner would be an extra large fishing hook (or homemade substitute) and something to attach it to a stick to make a gaff...
i've lost a 5ft eel in NZ and a good-sized Barramundi (in Oz) for lack of having a gaff when using a baited line on a steep river bank -- frustrating in normal circumstances and even more frustrating if you're in a situation where you have to survive on what you can catch...
(the Barra did me the favour of going for my hook again the next day but the eel was smarter)

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Yeah saw that, and while I quite like the guy's channel, my first thought was, why not just use a proper cooking pot as the container, a la Mors Kochanski? (And in fact the Ranger YouTube guy has a video on just that himself:
I often thought of these and water bottles but what do you do with the items inside when you need to use the container for water or food ?

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Just got what I am hoping is the purfect survival tin for my hiking needs. At Aldi at the moment however this verision seems to be selling out quickly. If I see another one think I would buy it.
06izzhnf3jJNGEeZpSuTKMP-EXVI-XURDqKYo1_GuKxOIeg4JzZ_ozVHI-ximQS6De2CwGECtKzVR6DpnFNl6TGs0mKYmdwQcq3XTTUGCOLkqyEJVCpdJ_dfibsYOvfWvUIsyOCe-VI--7MecDr9LD4y2KArfUrIHb2RM5e_ZT5j0P62SnCjHpx5sLvGddKAi94fLJTtl25Pq42zDSAMQXhGoA1mQ7vmLrUcY8FubGZ1I_jcwWQqpoykaBL6kZi0DaXng1U0zyGz3zLFrangvawsWVV9q9xjFmRYm_urfZl6BzJnE0Iw4xvXEidRizhvfX5GUJA1QhaUQaMdQxFkg__7kuKF-AaldwGf7Lg4xU0uYor2G0y9LKRXmy3LIbPUjQ3kLCI9_xDtAKDui7M180fRstG2fM4mSj59aW6cXJbKP34AIWT80OqP75PffRI0sxsZCPC7Vihqyj5cnStM4Vdp5y_QtncCyw3vu22vRuRBc7rNRizeryQUrnOt5k5pIASdONT1MXigtmTrkgrmNbiB7Ycj3oEytL3B0OoL04SsIa5hdE1Hup8lLE6B1n9vHZ-3Mp452cpHhiQRJBaOBAVmf1O_eRV6DZIu3-pPNixVHLy9_I_Z09G6y72mlJBAkeyyffc9GDTefUsNOT7QeQK2IoEqbTyvzyZX10vuZQSgKl1pXtOrSsT8EyHe0P-m0PQhY9NNcf2C54OVdZyVGQ-7=w703-h937-no
5yVIVvgzwMEwLtO37iG3p_dsVEjZDTqv7Q9jIKJwgfVlgUffM5JTVY4yAIpoaLMlOK-h4YyCGVCseHJXbv9EAsp8PuLyWkLUDbBgxZxcl8JRq0VgkHj3035pnHZA0RQ0YFjVn07FZfLx0MHPosjcg1ET886NvfA703HNVsyEsRVsICfVDiqDYf0-wkF4xHn9HGMvJES3dpdwvkICOtNolAN1Fpibsj6xf0ofa2W4qfJaqEOxgH4GchZRaf2V1pAiz8v3wF8m_Cu2SLQIiU46Ml7Qj83K276-m23n-5OcLWQtvlsmouAb-ACefIUKsvsHTd_qI8ds9wbffxzZJQZHtmmP0cD0lUZ62UXpjsjKw8Cbv56zgTR6vL_3PkOQUZ7YM5m-o7xgvSIqCg1WEkeky1SqoiaTnd1F80aawZmSYI6NKk0HfkCRumM5gPAs4uylcdheaf5vcyReBnxpHFjt1Rz-606G3ziZMBZLCTNVqg66BunAFq7c2zFg-SF8MPbvXa8794nylUyWYF-Ew4oeAILbl4sU5Vlk4CnPL_PU7HHamsYMB01qckNivGX74kQWonKzZ8eCMVYcDsKBK-4zpC8wf8AiGDzQjDWRLrwuukdek8Tv8WYdSMahoDrQcIcfF7ZwzUmj7GxcOMeBFBT_T26nkD56cynszogvdVU8gy4HHFqo4IdKLcBcLF9l-tzxExDMjXWnMWbH-jXOGT_5frrR=w703-h937-no
8c7snXoBCfOBkYsy6UMP3CFNjDcz6h1Drf-uquiSNKjhjc_r-K-f8fzp6BC7NsI0B_MD8-4oPtAnI2ZUwN2mmEtfTlnKpNC0QgtBs7sVNCF8z_SZLic3e26OiVvvKBW0sPsCaAbBknC4Iz_i5cuifClahnXflhRYbQufkjEfqEEqdwewLaBjXa5Gqg1yCUcM0JzUB5h_Hsl9r82ScNXAdcBFnvDdmP9JOjSe-P5OM7YOdTg0zcmMja5SqjTHclYA08lYoSte-QG56N686rHnmzHj8xB-TaM1Mhw8-uIw1xveOyheqAxdS17gl4hWb-pfXAXLO8ByctZ3J-oEoIl2llkKho87eyHD8dewmBXMQzAY-PuOiQfCKohr7I6ybailLhLKMBvAeCv1bBMBxFL4u1MhnhLZRs-d0pK5S3wTrX3w0QsU-xzufV9j7WDh3tc4s89S_TR2-u00sewWE3oj_W44_TZlqMeR0djc6QTJSzc3bXrUAjkokgMCm_wypFFZjTmw4VN8Gw-TbFE_NJkwtfpiIFedbhkLRB63DI3rpNp4jM5qyDHoB-ecfSo6Fhk0b2KSG1FjIYXddLp69mZFzO2YyxrDWGadLUIEllZl2mCImWB5wuz5_fzu-Re3YFQyQyAG5zC0qcPiS-RXSy3SbkJ6vgQgvg41dWPbF5kxMgoFgSf7c1nPGnyjNCnCzhO46KluHgscEQM501zzzRmV6hBa=w703-h937-no

Reactions: TeeDee

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
This is bigger I think and only a fiver.

It does look great, I was thinking about getting even just for a lunchbox
no gasket or locking but then theres insulation/duct tape

big advantage with the trangia is good fitting lid and the handle locks closed if you bugie/tie handle round.

Now im going to have to have a thinking about moving my kit...again

this thread has caused no end of work.fun this year as ive moved round my kit numerous times.

currently small kit is in a pelicase thats fits in side pocket of response pack. but now im thinking of going back to trangia,

there is or used to be a mountain wareghouse tin with gasket and 2 roll clips for £5, smaller than aldi tin, bigger volume than trangia but flatter.

prepared pathfinder in video on this thread Mar 30th mentions the esee tin as well, similar style.

i like how rugged the pelicase is, which I got from a car boot sale, but now im not sure

Should I go tin..or pelicase?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Decisions decisions....

All good fun too of course
Give my adhd/ocd something to focus on.....

perhaps my longest running hobby ( making susrvival kits), about 39 years now....first tin was even before sas survival handbook was produced, books back then were pulp paper and hardly any pictures..
but its cool that some of my first kit, from when I was 5 years old is still in my current setup.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
OK, heres a survey/question

Should a brew kit be part of the survival tin.
ie if the tin was a trangia billy ( as ive mentioned in many previous posts...oops, forgetting what I post)

should a small folding esbit stove be added. cup etc.

trying to put aside the english bit of me that cant think of life without my cup of tea

Should the tin/stove/cup etc be part of a larger kit......
Ive just watched a few videos where survival tins were made out of billies and they all had stoves and brekit inside....

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I hankered after a leatherman multi tool for years bought a wave last summer out of a surplus shop and tbh I haven’t really used it and one thing I don’t like about it is the weight it seems very heavy to carry ? Unless I’m getting weak in my old age lol
I went for it and got the surge a few weeks ago
Its been awesome, so well built, really glad I didnt get the smaller wave.
have used it loads already

Reactions: moocher

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE