Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
How about one of those bags intended for cooking things in an oven? Probably would withstand the heat of a fire for boiling water in, and could double up for a foraging or tinder storage bag.

Reactions: Robbi and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
How about one of those bags intended for cooking things in an oven? Probably would withstand the heat of a fire for boiling water in, and could double up for a foraging or tinder storage bag.

Good thinking , although I'm not sure what the results would be - anyone experimented??

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I maybe incorrect , but are you talking about plasticuffing a potential person?
Is a "potential person" something that also might not be a person or is only classified a person if behaves.

So potentially yes. As a friend said on the dojo said: sometimes it is kinder to tie him up sometimes to kick hard enough. :)

So far I have actually never been in a fight of some kind, I seem to have a knack of avoiding them. Though I must admit to relapsing to verbal judo a few times.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Is a "potential person" something that also might not be a person or is only classified a person if behaves.

So potentially yes. As a friend said on the dojo said: sometimes it is kinder to tie him up sometimes to kick hard enough. :)

So far I have actually never been in a fight of some kind, I seem to have a knack of avoiding them. Though I must admit to relapsing to verbal judo a few times.

And you keep these large Cable Ties IN a Tobacco style Survival Tin ?

Reactions: Robbi

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
And you keep these large Cable Ties IN a Tobacco style Survival Tin ?
Slightly larger than that. I did have them with me quite often, putting up a lean-to with them is fast and easy. I did quite often forgot the shim so now I carry them less often.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Those we have in our shops can only stand temperature up to 180 Celsius.
If the oven is more hot and the bag touches the sides of the oven, the bag melts.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Often wondered about stainless steel foil bags. Used for excluding air whilst heat treating, whether they'd hold up over a fire.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
A Teflon baking sheet can be folded into a pot, though you have to exercise a bit more care heating & handling due to the floppy nature. I did a rough clone of a folding 'Bear Bowl' a little while ago and results are encouraging. It's only been out a few times so far, five or six brews over a fire but holding up well so far. Toast bags should work equally well in a pinch but they are quite small. Not so sure about the whole chicken size roast bags, it will be a bit of a thermodynamic juggling act. The fire would have to be calm in the hot coals stage and the distance between it and the hanging bag just right but the theory is sound and there are demonstrations of people boiling water in paper containers.

Reactions: TeeDee

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I bought a bcb one in millets sale but the safety pins and tin are all thats left
Its crammed in there messily And i need to replace the matches but i have a
match striker , fire lighting steel,knife sharpener,safety pins,wire saw,puritabs,arrow heads ,the line from a crab line, plasters ,2 snares and a spyderco knife.

Attachments

• A721F2C3-6E14-41AF-B16D-8FC777380536.jpeg
    A721F2C3-6E14-41AF-B16D-8FC777380536.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 32

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So , its great to see all these Tins come out - I did think I may get a frosty reception for resurrecting a bit of a 80's throwback concept.

So where do people keep their Tins? On them , in a trusty outdoor jacket? In a bergan Pocket??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE